Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2023, 03:28 PM

3,834 posts, read 3,354,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
As a native Floridian and someone who travels constantly for work there is no conspiracy. I’m just sick of seeing grocery prices a lot higher in Florida than anywhere else I travel to. Try shopping for a weeks worth of groceries at Publix and get back to me. You will greatly miss the prices at Vons.

Also. Please let me know how much your home insurance was in California? 12k a year like Florida?
Coworker visited WV area over the summer. Groceries were much cheaper up there at Walmart than Walmart here in SWFL.

If you have millions, yea it's cheaper due to the taxes! For 95 percent of everyone else yea it's probably more. Especially compared to other nearby Southern states or lower midwestern states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2023, 03:31 PM

3,834 posts, read 3,354,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
https://www.allsides.com/news-source/insider-media-bias

Media biased alert...Business Insider is a left-leaning NYC-based publication (German owned).

They currently have 2 articles on their home page knocking FLA....why? Why no other states?

NYC & NY state are losing Billions in taxable income each year to Florida, as Thousands leave NY for FL

https://www.lemonde.fr/en/opinion/ar...986913_23.html

Just trying to make others aware that sometimes, there are motives behind articles being published.
True. Someone coming from a place like MS, AL, MO, TN, Arkansas would think FL cost more. I'm from MO and it's cheaper up there. Yea there is income tax, but insurance, gas, food, property is still cheaper overall.

New England and Commiefornia might as well be different countries to me I don't even use comparions.

Old 01-10-2023, 03:33 PM

1,970 posts, read 2,240,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
our WinnDixie is a lot cheaper than Publix...a whole lot
Exactly -- go to Winn Dixie if you want savings. You do have to sign up for their card, which Publix does not require, but versus Publix prices, you will save twenty bucks on every hundred dollars of groceries.

This is coming from a careful price shopper.

Old 01-10-2023, 03:38 PM

25,850 posts, read 12,890,963 times
Some opposing views that also have motives to shape readers opinions:

https://www.palmbeachpost.com/story/...y/10235336002/

Here's why Business Insider wants to stem the tide of NY'ers moving to FLA...1.6 Million Floridians were born in NY:

https://wpdh.com/how-many-new-yorkers-live-in-florida/

https://nypost.com/2022/09/20/record...rida-licenses/

Old 01-10-2023, 03:44 PM

25,850 posts, read 12,890,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westender View Post
Exactly -- go to Winn Dixie if you want savings. You do have to sign up for their card, which Publix does not require, but versus Publix prices, you will save twenty bucks on every hundred dollars of groceries.

I do Aldi, Sprouts, and Wal Mart...never Publix. My utilities are cheaper here, & car & homeowners insurance is less...but we live in a remote part of Sarasota County, & our newish home is 8 miles inland, on X lot, and rated at 160 mph w/ shutters deployed.

I've saved >$100k in taxes in 5 years Georgia vs. Florida.

Old 01-10-2023, 03:52 PM

18,491 posts, read 8,318,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westender View Post

believe it or not....I can save $20 on just 2 items at WD....compared to Publix

Old 01-10-2023, 04:03 PM

4,295 posts, read 2,771,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NearFantastica View Post
Minimum wage in Florida is $12 an hour, in California it's $15 an hour. Despite the better wages in California, Florida is still a whole lot cheaper. An RN cannot afford to live anywhere in the Bay Area close to SF, but they can live comfortably around Orlando. If you think rents are bad in Florida then oh boy, come take a trip out to California sometime. California tops the nation with having the highest rents tied with Hawaii. Another advantage to Florida is that they're actually building housing, in California the housing situation is so bad but nobody is building anything due to the state's NIMBY legacy
I don't think you realize how high our rents are and how low our wages are (I am not referring to minimum wage).

No, an RN could not live comfortably in Orlando unless it was an unsafe neighborhood and/or they had a spouse/roommate, or other income source (I am referring to market rent).

Old 01-10-2023, 04:06 PM

4,295 posts, read 2,771,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
Yep, it all comes down to how much income you have.
Absolutely. A lower income person might very well do better in a state with higher wages, lower COL and state tax.

Old 01-10-2023, 05:06 PM

817 posts, read 631,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeko156 View Post
Absolutely. A lower income person might very well do better in a state with higher wages, lower COL and state tax.
States with higher wages tend to not have a lower COL... California, New York, Washington, and Massachusetts to name a few

Old 01-10-2023, 05:13 PM

817 posts, read 631,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeko156 View Post
I don't think you realize how high our rents are and how low our wages are (I am not referring to minimum wage).

No, an RN could not live comfortably in Orlando unless it was an unsafe neighborhood and/or they had a spouse/roommate, or other income source (I am referring to market rent).
It's all subjective, is Florida expensive to someone from the South? absolutely. However, compared to the West coast, Northeast, and once affordable Mountain West states, it is cheaper. I posted a video on the Nevada forum showing a woman from Florida who moved to Las Vegas, she was shocked at how much more expensive her rent was compared to Florida
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida