Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2023, 06:38 AM

25,818 posts, read 12,868,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
it wouldn't matter if Florida was cheaper, the same, or even more expensive

for a lot of people in New York....Florida is their #1 vacation destination

to jump for the chance to work under a palm tree....run around in shorts and flip flops all year

....that's the biggest draw
Vacations of course, but the article is about moving from NY to FLA permanently. The article focuses upon cost of living, taxes aside, & mostly ignores our climate, or flora...which is ludicrous.

I already posted a link showing the cost-of-living statewide for NY, is much higher than statewide in FLA, so I blew their premise away.

imho...its a hit job against FLA to try to stem the outbound tide of New Yorkers to FLA, because it's costing NY BILLIONS in lost taxable income:

https://www.thecentersquare.com/new_...67cd41881.html

Here's a right-leaning article that provides a counter-point to Business Insiders center-left views:

https://www.heritage.org/taxes/comme...ew-york-exodus
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2023, 07:37 AM

18,482 posts, read 8,308,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Vacations of course, but the article is about moving from NY to FLA permanently.
That's what I was trying to say.....on one cup of coffee! LOL

We have a lot of new neighbors....they moved here because to them it's being on vacation 365 days a year

weather, palm trees, water, working from home,....etc also has a big part of this....not just money, taxes, etc

Old 01-11-2023, 08:28 AM

27,231 posts, read 44,008,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
How is Sprouts? They're popping up all over the country. Prices high? Supposed to have good produce right? The produce at the Publix stores around me is horrible. Not fresh, and not rotated
Sprouts is fantastic and why they're growing. Their produce is fresh and doesn't go bad in the fridge a few days later like what I get from Publix typically and it's cheaper plus organic usually. Everyone is screaming about egg prices but bought a dozen organic pasture-raised eggs at Sprouts for $3.99 this week.

Old 01-11-2023, 09:11 AM

3,833 posts, read 3,352,691 times
That's the thing. NY can be rude, and they water down the culture in certain parts of Fl! Totally different feel around here in the winter compared to summer.

Why can't it be more people from places like Missouri, Arkansas, Tennessee, etc moving here lol? People from NY think those are hillbilly states.

Is that why some of our laws in FL seem like the northeast? Like gun laws in FL are pretty restrictive compared to Missouri where people open carry and no permit is needed for conceal carry. Someone from NY would be alarmed of Missouri or Arkansas, especially the less populated areas. I've read articles people from NY moved to the real south like South Carolina and they didn't feel welcomed.

Old 01-11-2023, 09:18 AM

17,354 posts, read 22,099,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
What can someone moving to Florida expect to pay (ballpark) for property tax and insurance for a $500,000 house? How does that compare to other states?
$9000 taxes (1.8% rate) and likely $6000 insurance.

Insurance will have huge variables based on age of home/roof/ type of protection and location.

Can't compare to other states, again too many variables (state income tax vs. none/ sales tax vs. none) the states get their revenue from different sources.

Old 01-11-2023, 09:23 AM

17,354 posts, read 22,099,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
That's the thing. NY can be rude, and they water down the culture in certain parts of Fl! Totally different feel around here in the winter compared to summer.

Why can't it be more people from places like Missouri, Arkansas, Tennessee, etc moving here lol? People from NY think those are hillbilly states.

Is that why some of our laws in FL seem like the northeast? Like gun laws in FL are pretty restrictive compared to Missouri where people open carry and no permit is needed for conceal carry. Someone from NY would be alarmed of Missouri or Arkansas, especially the less populated areas. I've read articles people from NY moved to the real south like South Carolina and they didn't feel welcomed.

NY can be NYC/5 boroughs or can be upstate, two different types of personalities.

Me: NYC is either elites from Manhattan (or people who claim to be from there, yet live in Brooklyn) or dirtbags from rougher areas. Even Long Island is a different type of person.

People from Missouri/Arkansas/Tennessee would likely consider Florida to be too expensive compared what they pay at home now.

FL needs gun laws due to the influx of so many people from so many places/countries. I couldn't imagine a place like Miami, Tampa, Jacksonville with open carry.

Old 01-11-2023, 09:27 AM

846 posts, read 685,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NearFantastica View Post
Florida does not have a high COL, those who think Florida is expensive should go to New York, California, Hawaii, Illinois, or Massachusetts
It has a high cost of living relative to its wages, which is the main point that matters. Massachusetts is expensive, but the wages are higher.

The line cook in south Florida making $18/hour and paying $1200 for rent could be living in Mass, making $22 hour paying the same $1200 rent.

Old 01-11-2023, 09:33 AM

846 posts, read 685,396 times
Also, regarding the type of person that's a professional from MA/NYC making $80k+ a year, and trying to move to a different state to lower their tax bill.

I seriously doubt that type of person is going to want to move into a cheap town in Florida sticks. They probably want a high-end suburb, which will cost money.

Old 01-11-2023, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
NY can be NYC/5 boroughs or can be upstate, two different types of personalities.

Me: NYC is either elites from Manhattan (or people who claim to be from there, yet live in Brooklyn) or dirtbags from rougher areas. Even Long Island is a different type of person.

People from Missouri/Arkansas/Tennessee would likely consider Florida to be too expensive compared what they pay at home now.

FL needs gun laws due to the influx of so many people from so many places/countries. I couldn't imagine a place like Miami, Tampa, Jacksonville with open carry.
This is why we need strict immigration laws like Anthony Sabatini has been calling for. end immigration. Rush Limbaugh talked about this one time too. How hard it is to become a Mexican resident if you want to move to Mexico, yet it's so easy in the US.

Old 01-11-2023, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lair8 View Post
Also, regarding the type of person that's a professional from MA/NYC making $80k+ a year, and trying to move to a different state to lower their tax bill.

I seriously doubt that type of person is going to want to move into a cheap town in Florida sticks. They probably want a high-end suburb, which will cost money.
That's true. My area of SWFL the New England people are mostly over 65. I don't see too many 45 year olds from there moving here. Everyone around here says SWFL is boring who isn't old.

Someone from NYC isn't going to want to move to Levy county Florida for example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida