Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2022, 06:45 AM

3,237 posts, read 3,196,331 times

Advertisements

Beautiful beaches in Bay and Walton Counties! I grew up there.

I have thanked my grandparents up in heaven several times for moving the family from NYC to the great state of Florida. Even when I go on vacation, nothing compares to Florida my home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2022, 08:20 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,693,411 times
I love FL. However, it's hardly a "paradise." We have a total national embarrassment of a governor. We also are most at risk for climate change and hurricane season is annoying, especially when there's a hurricane looming out in the Atlantic and you're like basically just waiting with this low-level anxiety to see if it's coming toward FL. Happens like half a dozen times every summer/Fall. It's swampy, it's mostly flat, not particularly beautiful away from the coastlines... The environment is FL is slowly being destroyed, red tide blooms in the gulf all summer with millions of dead fish washing ashore, near constant development everywhere you turn, lack of will to preserve what makes FL beautiful.... If your version of "paradise" is on the beach in the hot sun, sure FL could be a paradise, but for most ppl, it's not that. That's a tourist version..

btw, I know I sound like a negative Nanc, but I still love FL, tho I do not see it as "paradise." ALso, I hate when people in FL say things like "I live where you vacation..." etc... So cringe. Like, unless you live on the beach or literally in a theme park, no...u dont live where people vacation. No one is vacationing in Brandon, FL, you imbecile.... or whatever rando, lower middle-class suburb u live in.

Old 04-07-2022, 08:13 PM

417 posts, read 267,708 times
I Love Florida. I love to go swimming, boating, cycling, fishing in Florida. I even love the weather. I love the broad mix of people in Florida who just enjoy life and contribute to it (although there will always be those few negative Nancys). Even though I grew up here, I had the opportunity to live overseas a good portion of my adult life, as well as several states including California. But Florida is the place where I desire to reside. I believe if you cannot enjoy Florida, then you would probably not be happy anywhere, anyway.

I am also very pleased with our Governor and what he stands for. I love that he is a straight shooter and cuts through the political BS. Although I hope he stays (which he would easily win), he would make an excellent Presidential Candidate (which he could win).

Yes...Florida is Paradise to me!

Old 04-08-2022, 06:31 AM

18,448 posts, read 8,275,501 times
^ everything Charlie just said

Old 04-08-2022, 08:00 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Born and raised in Florida, third generation. Never wanted to live anywhere else, for me it is paradise. And we have the BEST governor ever.

Those of you who don't like it here should get the hell out. There are way too many here now as it is.

Old 04-08-2022, 08:15 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,553,115 times
I enjoy it very much--though my "love" is primarily restricted to coastal Miami at this point. Have not traveled enough throughout the state (have been to Key West and Orlando in the past, Tampa just for a Yankee game, and Palm Beach County) but feel Miami is likely the only area in the state I could live (primarily due to its urban amenities and my preference for being on the Atlantic coast).

Moved here from CA (33 years in SF/Marin, OC and San Diego) at the end of 2016....much cleaner urban environment, more modern, with far less homeless, more walkable (where I live in Brickell). Weather/climate is an asset--though I do usually plan a couple of vacations from July - early October to break up the summer.

Moved here towards the very end of my working career and retired early.....very likely I might not like Miami as much (or at all to live but to visit) if I had to commute to work every day in heavy traffic with our crazy drivers and received Florida wages. Fortunately, I brought my wealth earned elsewhere with me, like some others, and what others describe as negatives are not something I encounter. Only thing that gets tiring after awhile is the fact I'm a minority in my own country though I do happen to like Latinas.

Last edited by elchevere; 04-08-2022 at 08:25 AM..

Old 04-08-2022, 08:20 AM

3,237 posts, read 3,196,331 times
Charlie, Corrie, Gypsychic—truth!

Old 04-08-2022, 10:03 AM

635 posts, read 405,926 times
I believe Florida is large enough and fairly diverse enough that one can find their own version of "paradise" here; however, in my case, I agree - South Florida (Miami, Broward, Palm Beach counties) is the only portion of the state I could ever see myself living in...POSSIBLY Tallahassee or Gainesville if I were older. My situation is unique however, I'm Caribbean born, a remote tech worker (so I'm not subjected to the degrading local job market and its low wages), earn well above Florida tech wages, and very much take advantage of the top notch amenities this portion of the state provides.

This isn't meant to offend, but outside of the major metro areas, Florida is an intellectual backwater and has NON progressive views on just about everything (economics, social views, education etc). If you've never left the state you'd probably disagree with this statement, but it's the honest truth.

I grew up in Palm Beach County (attended K-12) went to a large and well known state university (you couldn't drive 20 minutes ANYWHERE in Florida without seeing my Alma Mater's collegiate license plate on a passing car) so I'm not some transplant dogging Florida - I'd genuinely like to see the state make strides in certain key areas before I could call it "paradise."

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
I enjoy it very much--though my "love" is primarily restricted to coastal Miami at this point. Have not traveled enough throughout the state (have been to Key West and Orlando in the past, Tampa just for a Yankee game, and Palm Beach County) but feel Miami is likely the only area in the state I could live (primarily due to its urban amenities and my preference for being on the Atlantic coast).

Last edited by silverct9a; 04-08-2022 at 10:17 AM..

Old 04-09-2022, 07:48 AM

9,131 posts, read 6,185,387 times
Florida? Meh.

Old 04-10-2022, 03:51 PM

17 posts, read 22,649 times
I would never want to live in another state. The seemingly endless coastline, the lush palm filled landscape, and powerful sunshine make a land that’s impossible to beat. I also love not paying state income tax or suffering under a nanny state’s forceful collectivism, and having a decent cost of living. While I’m not from here originally, I happily call myself a Floridian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida