Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2014, 03:25 AM

528 posts, read 867,502 times

Advertisements

Ok for those of you who are always talking about how bad FL is need to get out there and visit or live in other places for awhile.

I left FL 3 yrs ago or more now and where I was living I did not really like much to say the least but once I saw life on the west coast, I took it all back. Some of you need to spend some time in real hell hole like say the Central Valley of California or the North Central Valley going toward Reno. Talk about a backwards place that is going bankrupt. So to those of you out there who really feel they need to leave FL, you could be in a lot worse places but by all means do so if you feel you have to.

FL cities are some of the best places I'd say because theres clearly less crowds in comparison to CA and nowhere is really far from the ocean + theres things to do. If you're complaining, move to a neighborhood that suits you better. One thing about FL I noticed is you can dislike the neighborhood you're in but 15 minutes away you could like a neighborhood. But in CA, theres really nowhere I can think of like that. I dislike the area I am and anything up to an hr away I don't see it being too livable either and the places that are better to live are too crowded and too expensive. That's where FL differs from CA especially in 2014 but that's how I see it.

So ya to anyone complaining, think of those factors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2014, 05:38 AM

734 posts, read 921,499 times
And on that note, the people who complain about people who complain should stop and remember that A) people have the right to voice criticisms as this isn't a "sunshine and rainbows only" forum, and B) qualifying your stance by saying it could be worse or that FL is better because of smaller crowds are not exactly strong arguments.

And please, stop telling people that it's as simple as just picking up and leaving. No, it isn't always that simple, and you know it.

I'm not one of those FL bashers (I actually quite like it here) but it's becoming quickly apparent that there are rather vocal groups on both extreme ends who basically irritate everyone in the middle.

Old 09-13-2014, 05:45 AM

9,879 posts, read 14,134,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldCountry80 View Post
Ok for those of you who are always talking about how bad FL is need to get out there and visit or live in other places for awhile.

I left FL 3 yrs ago or more now and where I was living I did not really like much to say the least but once I saw life on the west coast, I took it all back. Some of you need to spend some time in real hell hole like say the Central Valley of California or the North Central Valley going toward Reno. Talk about a backwards place that is going bankrupt. So to those of you out there who really feel they need to leave FL, you could be in a lot worse places but by all means do so if you feel you have to.

FL cities are some of the best places I'd say because theres clearly less crowds in comparison to CA and nowhere is really far from the ocean + theres things to do. If you're complaining, move to a neighborhood that suits you better. One thing about FL I noticed is you can dislike the neighborhood you're in but 15 minutes away you could like a neighborhood. But in CA, theres really nowhere I can think of like that. I dislike the area I am and anything up to an hr away I don't see it being too livable either and the places that are better to live are too crowded and too expensive. That's where FL differs from CA especially in 2014 but that's how I see it.

So ya to anyone complaining, think of those factors.
"Don't complain about Florida because central CA is much worse" is the specific belief you thought needed its own thread? Hmmmm. I can think of a million places better than central CA and Florida, and I can also think of a million worse places than most. This is a weird topic.....

Old 09-13-2014, 05:47 AM

3,848 posts, read 7,965,807 times
I'd like to know why people who bash others who hate Florida only give them extreme situations to compare Fla to to make them think they should appreciate it... Why do we need to go to a complete hell hole to think we have it good? I went through a hellish winter in a secluded small town in NH and now that I'm back in Fla I certainly don't like it more. I still hate it, we are still leaving, we are just finishing our degrees first.

That's great you found a new appreciation for Fla but that doesn't mean the rest of us are going to up and move to some horrible backwards ghetto just to realize we had it good. There are plenty of wonderful places, much more so than most of Florida that are perfectly viable options. There are plenty of factors I could name off before telling anyone to move out of Fla, where I've lived fro 30 years but every situation is different

Old 09-13-2014, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meat_popsicle View Post
And on that note, the people who complain about people who complain should stop and remember that A) people have the right to voice criticisms as this isn't a "sunshine and rainbows only" forum, and B) qualifying your stance by saying it could be worse or that FL is better because of smaller crowds are not exactly strong arguments.

And please, stop telling people that it's as simple as just picking up and leaving. No, it isn't always that simple, and you know it.

I'm not one of those FL bashers (I actually quite like it here) but it's becoming quickly apparent that there are rather vocal groups on both extreme ends who basically irritate everyone in the middle.
I would say I am in the middle overall though. In fact I've been called negative many times. I mean ya if you're going to live in some isolated exurban town or the worst black neighborhood, FL will seem bad to those people. Well no you will not just pick up and leave.. it may take a little time but you can think it through then move and cut down on your belongings.

Old 09-13-2014, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
I'd like to know why people who bash others who hate Florida only give them extreme situations to compare Fla to to make them think they should appreciate it... Why do we need to go to a complete hell hole to think we have it good? I went through a hellish winter in a secluded small town in NH and now that I'm back in Fla I certainly don't like it more. I still hate it, we are still leaving, we are just finishing our degrees first.

That's great you found a new appreciation for Fla but that doesn't mean the rest of us are going to up and move to some horrible backwards ghetto just to realize we had it good. There are plenty of wonderful places, much more so than most of Florida that are perfectly viable options. There are plenty of factors I could name off before telling anyone to move out of Fla, where I've lived fro 30 years but every situation is different
I think many people would actually use deep Mississippi or Alabama or some snow covered hell as some place you could be rather than FL. I chose California because people usually think of good things when they think of CA and all this fun in the sun nonsense. Theres dry heat, opposite of humidity and no better, I know its worse for me anyhow. FL DOES have its faults YES IT DOES.. however I would say its one of the best places in this nation and beats HI by far as a place to live and theres no island fever either. If theres problems with FL I can think of it might be extreme transiency for some, although I find dealing with backwards locals like where I am now is worse or only in state transplants just from other cities but are not "transient". Old drivers can be a problem all coming home drunk from happy hour specials. Red Tide..Random crime.. and hardcore rednecks but I am convinced I met ruder more provincial worse ones in CA and won't tell you everything to your face like a FL cracker would. You gotta "read" people more. So all in all, I would rather have Floridas set of negatives than most other places.

And also, not everywhere is ghetto that I am describing in CA. Some of it is backwards yes but some is also the high priced areas that are obnoxious and have homeless everywhere too. So the areas most people think are nice I find FL has better places than some of those too and for cost being lower, why wouldn't anyone think otherwise? Tampa/St Pete/Clearwater versus Beverly Hills or Pacific Palasades. I take the former in a heartbeat. So its not ALL ghettos I am comparing FL to. California is generally regarded as a place where many of the vegetables are grown, where supposedly to the natives there, everything is the best there and nowhere else can compare! Where Shaq ran to from Orlando.. now you feel me? lol. I'd stay in Orlando over L.A if it were me. Even if I was richer. I liked my last visit to Orlando also. Despite its bad rap, I saw lots of potential.

And one more thing.. NH is one of my favorite states when I lived in New England. Like it the best. Nashua/Manchester is one of my favorite areas also. I like the feel and the libertarian vibe up there without it being too red or too provincial. The MA refugees get nicer and friendlier up there also even if some do bring their blue politics. I was considering living there also when I found I couldn't really be in MA for the long term.

Last edited by GoldCountry80; 09-13-2014 at 06:22 AM..

Old 09-13-2014, 10:00 AM

5,028 posts, read 7,232,184 times
Awful lot of real estate between Florida and California. Was there nowhere else that suited you besides the Central Valley?

Old 09-13-2014, 10:14 AM

14,955 posts, read 12,157,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meat_popsicle View Post

And how about those who complain about those who complain about those bashing Florida, or anywhere else for that matter?

And while I'd agree that it's not so easy just to pick up and leave a place one is not fond of, if I hated a place I lived in as much as some of these "Florida bashers" seem to, if the content of their posts is any indication, I'd find some way to get out and relocate to a place I liked better. Life is too short to spend it being as miserable these folks seem to think living in Florida makes them, or would make them if they lived there. ( any number of those bashers have never lived in Florida and know nothing of it first hand, but that doesn't stop them from being "experts", LOL).

In reality, these folks do all that bashing as a cheap hobby, and they love it when they get a rise out of others, and it seems as though they always do, IMO you can't take them seriously, and if it bothers you so much to read their posts, I can suggest that you skip right over their posts. It's very easy to do.

Old 09-13-2014, 11:05 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,928,952 times
I try not to bash, my complaints are pretty legit.

On a scale of 1-10, I'm like a 4-5 when it comes to liking FL. I used to be a 9, but with all the changes etc, and being a Dad with 2 little ones, I just think there are better places.

Old 09-13-2014, 11:20 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,142,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
And how about those who complain about those who complain about those bashing Florida, or anywhere else for that matter?

And while I'd agree that it's not so easy just to pick up and leave a place one is not fond of, if I hated a place I lived in as much as some of these "Florida bashers" seem to, if the content of their posts is any indication, I'd find some way to get out and relocate to a place I liked better. Life is too short to spend it being as miserable these folks seem to think living in Florida makes them, or would make them if they lived there. ( any number of those bashers have never lived in Florida and know nothing of it first hand, but that doesn't stop them from being "experts", LOL).

In reality, these folks do all that bashing as a cheap hobby, and they love it when they get a rise out of others, and it seems as though they always do, IMO you can't take them seriously, and if it bothers you so much to read their posts, I can suggest that you skip right over their posts. It's very easy to do.
Agreed. Over the years I have noticed that we get a new player on the board and they come up with most outlandish stories of drama an doom. After they get enough responses they change their screen name or just disappear all together. They dont hang around here. I guess its the simplicity of the answer for them. Leave.

If I were in a place that brought me such disgust and hate I would do whatever it takes to change my place of residence. Work a part time job just for the purpose of a "leaving" bank account. I would stand at busy intersections with a nice big "I am trying to get out of FL, please help" sign. I would sell everything I owned that I could do without. I'd eat light. Chop meat, slightly browned, add vegetables, cover on stove an let it steam. Delicious. You can eat out of the frying pan you cooked it in. I would have a tiny food budget.
Electric can be cut way way down if you try. Cancel the cable TV, get an antenna for free signals. Cancel internet service, go to library to get on line. Those are just a few of the steps I would take to add to my "leaving" account. In 6 months I would have enough money where I could load up the car and head out for greener pastures.

The funny thing is when I ask these posters where they would rather be there is no response. They dont know. All they know is they hate their lives. They must of hated the place before they came to FL from and hated the place before that.

And always remember -- Trolls never answer direct questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida