Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 02:23 PM

2,983 posts, read 4,623,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldCountry80 View Post
It is personal preference but my question to you is, whats his budget? whats his personality? what really brought him there?

Its so true. And if you promote a place based on how far it is to get somewhere else.. what good is that?? They do that with Sacramento also. They promote it as a good city because of how close it is to everything else. Theres some food there, a few bars but their midtown district is so overrated I think. So Ghettos aside, everything closes earlier even than it does in Urban FL cities and has even more of a pretentious vibe. So I guess if people see that for themselves, all they'll see is a city only good for how close everything else is. And even with the so called awesome terrain and looks of the landscape, all it is is looks. They look at California as a beautiful woman who has a headache all the time pretty much.

You haven't been out enough then or lived enough places. I mean if you have, list them off but it doesn't sound it to me.

Yea its so true. Sometimes you have to see a worse level of hell like all of this here to appreciate a nice place with more amenities with more affordable costs really is along with the beach of course . And of course a nice place to be single above all. You can show up in FL without a girlfriend pretty much and it won't look totally hopeless but out west whether you're in Portland, SF, or Denver it seems.. you pretty much have to bring your friends, bring a job and bring a girlfriend because it will be even more trying to find one of the locals. Even the fat girls in this place think they're better because they live in CA. A 5-6 easily can act like a 10 and nobody calls them out for it. I never seen a culture this bad, even when I spent time in Central PA I don't recall it being this bad even.

Fact is there is a lot of people who much prefer FL to anything in California but of course there are homers who try to push how the Bay Area was so great and da da da da da. Its to the point now where I can't stand the SF Giant colors. It was never like that in Tampa Bay for me. I disliked Parrish or most of Manatee when I was in FL because I got the view of that life more but that's small potatoes compared to locating out west and getting a total culture shock where even up to an hr or more away you couldn't find a good place to save your life.

And again very true! The beaches in CA are too cold to swim in. SF in the summer is colder than anywhere else. Its extremely overhyped and a concept I never heard of until coming here was wetsuits to go in the pacific OMG.

And thankfully the people from out west are not moving to FL in droves. Thankfully them hating the idea of living in FL has got around enough or else it would be priced up by now. And I guess not enough NY'ers in actuality have moved there as it seemed either. More have stayed put it looks after all.. that may also explain why rents are still pretty cheap. They didn't rise in the last 3-4 yrs like I thought they would considering some cities are going through renaissances like St Pete, maybe even Sarasota as they're getting a new mall I know on University. Some of the rents have stayed the same, maybe even got lower?? I just know last time I went looking around online, I saw some good prices for rooms to rent and if I don't go over my monthly checks, I can make it ok for a bit until I can find a job.

You're kinda correct.. I mean I would be re locating to FL more looking not so much at an area to settle down and have kids, but an area that be awesome to be a single. You get my drift? There are old people in FL indeed, but increasing young population and enough growth or temp agencies at least to keep people going until they can find something. Higher pay isn't everything as rents are lower. If you want a big disparity, most cities on the West Coast. In Portland rent balances to wages but so many frikken people apply to jobs and their economy is way more oversaturated! In CA there may be more jobs than that but the rents are too high! FL to me provides the perfect balance. Asheville IMO would be a much worse place to try and look for work in the Southeast region and seems even more like a retirement place. Its in fact like a Northern California area from all the research I did on that too. Like Chico or Nevada City or somewhere like that only bigger.

Really?

I travel all over the country. I was in 6 different states just last week. I've also lived in several different states.

You lived in Florida which you didn't like and then moved to a crummy part of CA which you also don't like. Sounds like you need to get out more or do some research the next time you move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2014, 02:36 PM

677 posts, read 934,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Glad you are so happy, that is as it should be.

But if I truly thought my current location was shangri-la, I'd love it because of what it had to offer on its own, and I wouln't need to knock some other location for comparison...
Well I don't exactly feel I've bashed FL, like I said it's great place to vacation but does that mean it's the ideal living place for everyone? Of course not. Furthermore if you feel I did bash it then all I can say is..................TUFF!!!!

Old 09-15-2014, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flem125 View Post
What's Love Bug plaque?
Correction: Plague

Old 09-15-2014, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
hot, steamy, sweltering, humid conditions are what some people prefer. I think there are about 20 million of us here. It is all about preferences.
That type of weather is good for 1 thing only & that's going to the beach & like anything else that gets old after awhile. The negatives are the air is stifling, unhealthy & hard to breathe in, the humidity wrecks havoc on your joints, it's so hot for so many months bugs never die they just get bigger & bigger, too hot for outdoor activities, sweating is a everyday occurrence, it's just down right disgusting & I find it hard to believe all 20 million of you love it. However, again it's all about preferences, if you prefer to feel like your in the pits of Hell then that's ok with me, currently I'm enjoying our fall like weather sleeping with the windows open at night. No red tide in our waters, no tarantulas, love bugs by the millions swarming, no giant flying cockroaches, gators to look out for, brown recluse spiders, giant pythons on the loose, giant mosquitos, no lizards getting into our homes, fire ants setting your flesh on fire, & every damn thing else you've got creeping, crawling, squirming, & running amok down there.
If that's your paradise you can keep it, but I will return during your 2 month span of cool weather to vacation in Orlando. To each their own.

Last edited by SassySpice; 09-15-2014 at 03:36 PM..

Old 09-15-2014, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_liking_FL View Post
Lets get something straight, woman. 1) Show me one post where I've used the word "hate" when describing Florida. 2) If I was on CD every opportunity bashing Florida you probably would've read one of my post about how I have interest in state. I'm in Florida far more than I care to be, and some of it is beyond my control. 3) Florida is one of the many sub-forums where I post on CD. You are out of your mind if you think I just come on this forum to bash Florida.

Your own obsession being Florida's most vocal cheerleader is getting old. If you don't like my post feel free to put me on ignore.

CD wouldn't allow me to rep you so I'll just say thank you here. Isn't it odd how "cheerleaders" on these forums take everything so personally? They do all they can to discredit your post & do their best to shut you up by trying to belittle you. Some day they're going to realize you can't squash our comments, we've got the right to state our opinions no matter how they feel. Keep on posting babe, I for one enjoy your comments as well as the cheerleaders, it's called getting balanced opinions.

Old 09-15-2014, 03:56 PM

14,949 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SassySpice View Post
Well I don't exactly feel I've bashed FL, like I said it's great place to vacation but does that mean it's the ideal living place for everyone? Of course not. Furthermore if you feel I did bash it then all I can say is..................TUFF!!!!
LOL, just pointing out that if one loves an area as much as you indicated you did in your last post- I can't remember where you said it was and I don't care enough to go back and look- IMO such a place deserves to be so well regarded on its own merits, and not because you're comparing it with somewhere else that you happened to dislike so intensely.

But you must have me confused with someone who gives a darn about any of those particular likes or dislikes you may, or may not have......meh...

Old 09-15-2014, 03:57 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,919,924 times
Quote:
I am single and probably will be for awhile so FL is an ideal place for me to live out my single years esp Tampa Bay/Sarasota areas.

But yes like you if I were to get married AND have kids, I'd probably move out of most of FL and look for another Southern state for the cheap costs and family friendly atmosphere, nice people and so on. FL ideal if you're single probably more than most places now.

Yea, Carolina's again for us, down the road. Its about quality of life, safety, the people more than ever for us, with two little ones.

Old 09-15-2014, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SassySpice View Post
CD wouldn't allow me to rep you so I'll just say thank you here. Isn't it odd how "cheerleaders" on these forums take everything so personally? They do all they can to discredit your post & do their best to shut you up by trying to belittle you. Some day they're going to realize you can't squash our comments, we've got the right to state our opinions no matter how they feel. Keep on posting babe, I for one enjoy your comments as well as the cheerleaders, it's called getting balanced opinions.
And you'd be so disappointed if you couldn't get a rise out of *someone* with those posts, wouldn't you? Or if you weren't provided an opportunity to jump with righteous indignation all over someone who had the *nerve* to criticize the contents of your posts.

I don't recall anyone here disputing yours, or anyone else's right to voice whatever opinions they may have about any given topic. Even as misguided as those opinions may be ( your description of Florida in the summertime, along with the flora and fauna gone wild is about the strangest one I've heard yet), you're entitled to them if that is what floats your boat...as far as taking anything personally, I can't for the life of me figure out what there is to take personally about a stranger one's never met posting nonsense on a forum, LOL.

But acting like such a spoiled child over someone disagreeing with what you have said isn't very conducive to the exchange of ideas and free discussion that is, in reality, the object of forums on CD, and if that's all you can do, you can leave me out of that loop.

Old 09-15-2014, 04:20 PM

2,983 posts, read 4,623,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
And you'd be so disappointed if you couldn't get a rise out of *someone* with those posts, wouldn't you? Or if you weren't provided an opportunity to jump with righteous indignation all over someone who had the *nerve* to criticize the contents of your posts.

I don't recall anyone here disputing yours, or anyone else's right to voice whatever opinions they may have about any given topic. Even as misguided as those opinions may be ( your description of Florida in the summertime, along with the flora and fauna gone wild is about the strangest one I've heard yet), you're entitled to them if that is what floats your boat...as far as taking anything personally, I can't for the life of me figure out what there is to take personally about a stranger one's never met posting nonsense on a forum, LOL.

But acting like such a spoiled child over someone disagreeing with what you have said isn't very conducive to the exchange of ideas and free discussion that is, in reality, the object of forums on CD, and if that's all you can do, you can leave me out of that loop.
Geez. You should take your own advise.

Old 09-15-2014, 04:44 PM

Quote:
I'll tell you what I think it isthey think they'll like somewhere better that is in fact a worse hell or they are accustomed to the actual worse level of hell for most normal people that they had before or they know they have it good where they are compared to where they could live but they still bash it anyhow for the fun of it or because they don't havea bagel as good as NYC. Those are stupid reasons to hate Florida and if adults actually hate Florida for reasons like that, they're a lost cause.

I can see if you hate the humidity as FL does not have the most comfy weather at times or if you don't like the giant bugs but CA has bugs too and the dry weather with those hills is a LOT worse in actuality and so are the majority of the residents. I had to learn the hard way. I am someone who used to hate FL but wants back in and ntm I hated my neighborhood more.. that's what I discovered. I was not in Sarasota, Tampa, OR St Pete. I was in an exurb where I felt I couldn't go outside much or going strictly from car to house all the time. At least some cities even though not 100% walkable, you can do it even on the hot days at times because some places you can walk better to things depending on where you are.

So if people hate FL, they must be either the nitpicky types who want NY bagels or live in a bad boring subdivision further out far from the actual good stuff or they're right in gangland. Otherwise its a pretty easy life overall compared to where you could be living.
Well it's true, Florida IS hot and humid in the summers, there are lots of bugs around,- I've always thought maybe the palmetto bug should be made the state bird, LOL, ants, lizards, all the critters one might expect in a tropical climate. And I could go on listing Florida's numerous "warts", but I know full well that there's truly no place on this earth that doesn't have warts, so you just weigh the positives and the negatives and decide the best place for you. And you live with the warts.

It happens to folks when they're still undecided about what to do with their lives, or something happens that maybe forces them to make a change- they don't like where they are, so they move to an area they believe will be better. If they're lucky, it's a good fit for them, but sometimes it really is a matter of the grass being greener- till you get to the other side of the fence and find it really isn't. I'm sorry you're still not in a place that's a good fit for you, I hope you can find a way to get back to where you really want to be and life will be good for you, whether it's Florida or somewhere else. There is such variety in the state, perhaps you will get some opportunity to explore where you'd like to be.....

As for the folks who "bash" Florida, IMO it's a form of entertainment for them, and they certainly have their counterparts in people who bash other parts of the country, ( and anything else they don't like or that they disagree with, for that matter)- They hope they'll get a rise out of others when they say that stuff, but I think taking such talk with a very large grain of salt is the best way to handle it. You certainly don't take them seriously, and if I were looking to move to a particular part of the country, I certainly wouldn't consider reading posts about that part of the country-good or bad- as doing very heavy research into what I might find there.

In any case, I wish you luck on being able to get to where you really want to be. You've probably been around long enough, had enough experience to know that there really IS no such thing as the grass being greener on the other side of the fence ( and I think most of us think it's true when we're just starting out and are inexperienced). But it's certainly possible to be happy, and successful in one of those areas, of your choice, where the grass gets brown sometimes, or bug infested, or muddy from too much rain......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida