Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2014, 12:19 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,322,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughanwilliams View Post
Awful lot of real estate between Florida and California. Was there nowhere else that suited you besides the Central Valley?
Probably nowhere else with real estate affordability on par with where the op came from FL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2014, 12:23 PM

734 posts, read 920,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
And how about those who complain about those who complain about those bashing Florida, or anywhere else for that matter?

And while I'd agree that it's not so easy just to pick up and leave a place one is not fond of, if I hated a place I lived in as much as some of these "Florida bashers" seem to, if the content of their posts is any indication, I'd find some way to get out and relocate to a place I liked better. Life is too short to spend it being as miserable these folks seem to think living in Florida makes them, or would make them if they lived there. ( any number of those bashers have never lived in Florida and know nothing of it first hand, but that doesn't stop them from being "experts", LOL).

In reality, these folks do all that bashing as a cheap hobby, and they love it when they get a rise out of others, and it seems as though they always do, IMO you can't take them seriously, and if it bothers you so much to read their posts, I can suggest that you skip right over their posts. It's very easy to do.
I would hardly label calling the OP out on a ridiculous, shaky argument as a complaint. Telling people who don't like a place to suck it up because other places are "worse" or "have more people" is questionable at best. We should probably tell him to suck it up because Detroit is worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
And always remember -- Trolls never answer direct questions.
So not true! You do a great job of promptly replying to everyone, usually split up into multiple posts for some unknown reason (beefing up your post count?).

Old 09-13-2014, 12:50 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,126,258 times
yeah, beefing up that post count so I can get the grand prize.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meat_popsicle View Post
I would hardly label calling the OP out on a ridiculous, shaky argument as a complaint. Telling people who don't like a place to suck it up because other places are "worse" or "have more people" is questionable at best. We should probably tell him to suck it up because Detroit is worse.

So not true! You do a great job of promptly replying to everyone, usually split up into multiple posts for some unknown reason (beefing up your post count?).

Old 09-13-2014, 04:20 PM

3,848 posts, read 7,962,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldCountry80 View Post
I think many people would actually use deep Mississippi or Alabama or some snow covered hell as some place you could be rather than FL. I chose California because people usually think of good things when they think of CA and all this fun in the sun nonsense. Theres dry heat, opposite of humidity and no better, I know its worse for me anyhow. FL DOES have its faults YES IT DOES.. however I would say its one of the best places in this nation and beats HI by far as a place to live and theres no island fever either. If theres problems with FL I can think of it might be extreme transiency for some, although I find dealing with backwards locals like where I am now is worse or only in state transplants just from other cities but are not "transient". Old drivers can be a problem all coming home drunk from happy hour specials. Red Tide..Random crime.. and hardcore rednecks but I am convinced I met ruder more provincial worse ones in CA and won't tell you everything to your face like a FL cracker would. You gotta "read" people more. So all in all, I would rather have Floridas set of negatives than most other places.

And also, not everywhere is ghetto that I am describing in CA. Some of it is backwards yes but some is also the high priced areas that are obnoxious and have homeless everywhere too. So the areas most people think are nice I find FL has better places than some of those too and for cost being lower, why wouldn't anyone think otherwise? Tampa/St Pete/Clearwater versus Beverly Hills or Pacific Palasades. I take the former in a heartbeat. So its not ALL ghettos I am comparing FL to. California is generally regarded as a place where many of the vegetables are grown, where supposedly to the natives there, everything is the best there and nowhere else can compare! Where Shaq ran to from Orlando.. now you feel me? lol. I'd stay in Orlando over L.A if it were me. Even if I was richer. I liked my last visit to Orlando also. Despite its bad rap, I saw lots of potential.

And one more thing.. NH is one of my favorite states when I lived in New England. Like it the best. Nashua/Manchester is one of my favorite areas also. I like the feel and the libertarian vibe up there without it being too red or too provincial. The MA refugees get nicer and friendlier up there also even if some do bring their blue politics. I was considering living there also when I found I couldn't really be in MA for the long term.
My brother moved to Los Angeles from Fla and loves it, he'll never be back. He rarely even visits Fla anymore. Its personal preference.

Old 09-13-2014, 05:18 PM

677 posts, read 933,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
My brother moved to Los Angeles from Fla and loves it, he'll never be back. He rarely even visits Fla anymore. Its personal preference.

Agreed, it's all about preferences. I live in DE & my preference is the 4 seasons, while FL is burning the hell up it's currently 63* here with a overnight forecast of 53*. Such good sleeping weather, I'll probably throw a comforter on my bed for that cozy feeling. This has been the mildest summer here I've seen in years (can Floridians say the same.....hell no, it's always hot & humid there), we had very few oppressive days (thank God), & while many Floridians are dealing with their Love Bug plaque in Sept we've hardly seen any bugs this summer which is highly unusual but who's complaining. While I've always thought of FL as a great place to vacation but not as a place to live I'll take the change of the seasons over hot, steamy, sweltering, humid conditions you suffer 7-9 months. I could care less about sunshine if it means I have to deal with a over bearing hot sun, gray cloudy days in the summer is ok by me, keep'um coming. Oh btw, before any of you harp on snow & ice, yeah we get that but primary in Jan & Feb, 2-3 snow storms is the norm, blizzards & ice storms in my region are seldom. Cold weather........ya better believe we get cold weather & sometimes brutally cold, like 10* but that hits us rarely. However even cold weather has it's benefits, we become bug-free (Yeah!), it purifies the air & kills airborne virus's, & the air is fresh & crisp. I have to run my gas heater typically from Nov-March & yes those gas heating bills are a b*tch! Then it's smooth sailing until June when it gets hot. Btw I can't wait to return to Universal Studio's, we really enjoyed that & the dinner theaters in Orlando.

Old 09-13-2014, 05:18 PM

734 posts, read 920,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
yeah, beefing up that post count so I can get the grand prize.
That sounds lovely! Can't wait to hear what it is.

Old 09-13-2014, 07:08 PM

14,949 posts, read 12,143,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SassySpice View Post
Agreed, it's all about preferences. I live in DE & my preference is the 4 seasons, while FL is burning the hell up it's currently 63* here with a overnight forecast of 53*. Such good sleeping weather, I'll probably throw a comforter on my bed for that cozy feeling. This has been the mildest summer here I've seen in years (can Floridians say the same.....hell no, it's always hot & humid there), we had very few oppressive days (thank God), & while many Floridians are dealing with their Love Bug plaque in Sept we've hardly seen any bugs this summer which is highly unusual but who's complaining. While I've always thought of FL as a great place to vacation but not as a place to live I'll take the change of the seasons over hot, steamy, sweltering, humid conditions you suffer 7-9 months. I could care less about sunshine if it means I have to deal with a over bearing hot sun, gray cloudy days in the summer is ok by me, keep'um coming. Oh btw, before any of you harp on snow & ice, yeah we get that but primary in Jan & Feb, 2-3 snow storms is the norm, blizzards & ice storms in my region are seldom. Cold weather........ya better believe we get cold weather & sometimes brutally cold, like 10* but that hits us rarely. However even cold weather has it's benefits, we become bug-free (Yeah!), it purifies the air & kills airborne virus's, & the air is fresh & crisp. I have to run my gas heater typically from Nov-March & yes those gas heating bills are a b*tch! Then it's smooth sailing until June when it gets hot. Btw I can't wait to return to Universal Studio's, we really enjoyed that & the dinner theaters in Orlando.
Glad you are so happy, that is as it should be.

But if I truly thought my current location was shangri-la, I'd love it because of what it had to offer on its own, and I wouln't need to knock some other location for comparison...

Old 09-13-2014, 07:56 PM

1,512 posts, read 2,364,503 times
I also understand that California has areas that aren't much to brag about. I'd say that many of the outskirt California metros that extend from Stockton to Bakersfield are probably worse than many of the Florida metros (or the four major ones at least). I definitely don't see areas/metros like Stockton, Modesto, Fresno, etc. as being better places than Greater Orlando, Tampa Bay, Sarasota-Bradenton, etc. The only great things that those California metros offer is proximity to awesome terrain.

Last edited by LordHomunculus; 09-13-2014 at 08:10 PM..

Old 09-13-2014, 08:42 PM

2,983 posts, read 4,622,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldCountry80 View Post
Ok for those of you who are always talking about how bad FL is need to get out there and visit or live in other places for awhile.

I left FL 3 yrs ago or more now and where I was living I did not really like much to say the least but once I saw life on the west coast, I took it all back. Some of you need to spend some time in real hell hole like say the Central Valley of California or the North Central Valley going toward Reno. Talk about a backwards place that is going bankrupt. So to those of you out there who really feel they need to leave FL, you could be in a lot worse places but by all means do so if you feel you have to.

FL cities are some of the best places I'd say because theres clearly less crowds in comparison to CA and nowhere is really far from the ocean + theres things to do. If you're complaining, move to a neighborhood that suits you better. One thing about FL I noticed is you can dislike the neighborhood you're in but 15 minutes away you could like a neighborhood. But in CA, theres really nowhere I can think of like that. I dislike the area I am and anything up to an hr away I don't see it being too livable either and the places that are better to live are too crowded and too expensive. That's where FL differs from CA especially in 2014 but that's how I see it.

So ya to anyone complaining, think of those factors.
Florida was my hell hole. I've liked the other places I've lived and currently live.

I was actually in Florida this past week and I was thinking how horrible it would be to live there again.

Old 09-14-2014, 07:52 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,126,258 times
hot, steamy, sweltering, humid conditions are what some people prefer. I think there are about 20 million of us here. It is all about preferences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SassySpice View Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida