Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 07:28 PM

153 posts, read 357,935 times

Advertisements

IMHO, comparing areas to each other is such a waste of time as its all about situations and personal preferences. If I was in a place that left me wondering what else was out there then I'd take a close look at myself and not the area. ... And yes, it is easier to move on than most complainers here care to admit if they really put their minds to it, but who wants to put out the effort to better themselves as complaining is much, much easier.

I take opinions about anything with a grain of salt, kinda like someone referring a realtor or restaurant to you. People here seem to forget that while your own personal experiences with an area may be legit, others will have different experiences and so are theirs. In the end though who really cares if they like / dislike what you do? Doesn't affect me one bit.

Stop wasting so much time trying to convince others that your version of an utopia is right for everyone as it is not. Make the most out of every area that you live in and you'll be amazed of how much fun you can have, how much lower your blood pressure will be, how much more you appreciate your life ... and so on. In other words, focus on the positive experiences in your life and not the negative ones.

If people here spent the same amount of time doing their research on an area BEFORE arriving as they do complaining about it once they get here then a lot of the complaining here would disappear. But that would require a level of accountability for ones own actions that a lot of people here forget about once they find these forums here on CDF.

Last edited by in_newengland; 10-28-2014 at 09:27 PM.. Reason: advertising/spam
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2014, 08:08 PM

2,983 posts, read 4,622,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flem125 View Post
09-14-2014 09:15 PM were you in fl, or thinking about how horrible it would be to live there? or both lol notlikingfl

Too funny...this is the comment left when this dude rep'd me.
To help you out a little...the answer is none of the above.

To expand upon my post...we were also thinking how horrible it would be for you to live here again.
You should have done this to begin with, Phlegm.

Old 09-15-2014, 02:30 AM

528 posts, read 867,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughanwilliams View Post
Awful lot of real estate between Florida and California. Was there nowhere else that suited you besides the Central Valley?
Me and you talked before.. you were saying how you hated FL and wanted to be in Oregon or California or somewhere like that.

And a family situation brought me to the Central Valley area or North central whatever you want to call it. I wanted to move to Portland at the time so I went with coming to Sacramento in the meantime but Portland became a bust so after that I had no true reason to stay out West or California and a more better neighborhood for me in FL is where I would have lived well if I had saved money at the time and not hurried to the West Coast. I was sorta pushed though so some of it was out of my control. As far as I was concerned, my Portland plan was a 5-10 yr plan and ended up doing it a lot sooner because I was on other peoples terms so I couldn't execute it correctly. Coming out to the west has been the worst experience ever but I learned from it.

Old 09-15-2014, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
And how about those who complain about those who complain about those bashing Florida, or anywhere else for that matter?

And while I'd agree that it's not so easy just to pick up and leave a place one is not fond of, if I hated a place I lived in as much as some of these "Florida bashers" seem to, if the content of their posts is any indication, I'd find some way to get out and relocate to a place I liked better. Life is too short to spend it being as miserable these folks seem to think living in Florida makes them, or would make them if they lived there. ( any number of those bashers have never lived in Florida and know nothing of it first hand, but that doesn't stop them from being "experts", LOL).

In reality, these folks do all that bashing as a cheap hobby, and they love it when they get a rise out of others, and it seems as though they always do, IMO you can't take them seriously, and if it bothers you so much to read their posts, I can suggest that you skip right over their posts. It's very easy to do.
I'll tell you what I think it is.. they think they'll like somewhere better that is in fact a worse hell or they are accustomed to the actual worse level of hell for most normal people that they had before or they know they have it good where they are compared to where they could live but they still bash it anyhow for the fun of it or because they don't have a bagel as good as NYC. Those are stupid reasons to hate Florida and if adults actually hate Florida for reasons like that, they're a lost cause.

I can see if you hate the humidity as FL does not have the most comfy weather at times or if you don't like the giant bugs but CA has bugs too and the dry weather with those hills is a LOT worse in actuality and so are the majority of the residents. I had to learn the hard way. I am someone who used to hate FL but wants back in and ntm I hated my neighborhood more.. that's what I discovered. I was not in Sarasota, Tampa, OR St Pete. I was in an exurb where I felt I couldn't go outside much or going strictly from car to house all the time. At least some cities even though not 100% walkable, you can do it even on the hot days at times because some places you can walk better to things depending on where you are.

So if people hate FL, they must be either the nidpicky types who want NY bagels or live in a bad boring subdivision further out far from the actual good stuff or they're right in gangland. Otherwise its a pretty easy life overall compared to where you could be living.

Old 09-15-2014, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
I try not to bash, my complaints are pretty legit.

On a scale of 1-10, I'm like a 4-5 when it comes to liking FL. I used to be a 9, but with all the changes etc, and being a Dad with 2 little ones, I just think there are better places.
I am single and probably will be for awhile so FL is an ideal place for me to live out my single years esp Tampa Bay/Sarasota areas.

But yes like you if I were to get married AND have kids, I'd probably move out of most of FL and look for another Southern state for the cheap costs and family friendly atmosphere, nice people and so on. FL ideal if you're single probably more than most places now.

Old 09-15-2014, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
My brother moved to Los Angeles from Fla and loves it, he'll never be back. He rarely even visits Fla anymore. Its personal preference.
It is personal preference but my question to you is, whats his budget? whats his personality? what really brought him there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHomunculus View Post
I also understand that California has areas that aren't much to brag about. I'd say that many of the outskirt California metros that extend from Stockton to Bakersfield are probably worse than many of the Florida metros (or the four major ones at least). I definitely don't see areas/metros like Stockton, Modesto, Fresno, etc. as being better places than Greater Orlando, Tampa Bay, Sarasota-Bradenton, etc. The only great things that those California metros offer is proximity to awesome terrain.
Its so true. And if you promote a place based on how far it is to get somewhere else.. what good is that?? They do that with Sacramento also. They promote it as a good city because of how close it is to everything else. Theres some food there, a few bars but their midtown district is so overrated I think. So Ghettos aside, everything closes earlier even than it does in Urban FL cities and has even more of a pretentious vibe. So I guess if people see that for themselves, all they'll see is a city only good for how close everything else is. And even with the so called awesome terrain and looks of the landscape, all it is is looks. They look at California as a beautiful woman who has a headache all the time pretty much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_liking_FL View Post
Florida was my hell hole. I've liked the other places I've lived and currently live.

I was actually in Florida this past week and I was thinking how horrible it would be to live there again.
You haven't been out enough then or lived enough places. I mean if you have, list them off but it doesn't sound it to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
THIS^^^^ to the nth degree! California is a huge state, and other than a thin band along the coast, much of the rest of it is backward and ugly. I thought Bakersfield was one of the ugliest places I had ever seen in my life - and it is polluted as hell, too.

To me, I don't see the "ideal weather" always touted for SoCal, either - the beaches are cold and windy, there are the heavy, hot Santa Ana winds, (many people cannot even sit outside on their property) June Gloom, heavy fogs, etc. Lack of rain and seasons - I could go on and on. It is definitely NOT some perfect mecca. And it costs a fortune to live anywhere along the coast (or even inland) compared to Florida.

Florida may not be perfect, but to me I live in a bargain paradise - I cannot believe how well me and my husband can live here for relatively low cost. I am not going to reiterate what I love here, I have done that many times already. I definitely AM glad not everyone wants to live here. The secret is getting out about what a great place to live this actually is. And there is something for everyone, small town to bigger city - rural or beaches, and inland even some rolling land and small hills! I am grateful for this beautiful state and will be here until I die!
Yea its so true. Sometimes you have to see a worse level of hell like all of this here to appreciate a nice place with more amenities with more affordable costs really is along with the beach of course . And of course a nice place to be single above all. You can show up in FL without a girlfriend pretty much and it won't look totally hopeless but out west whether you're in Portland, SF, or Denver it seems.. you pretty much have to bring your friends, bring a job and bring a girlfriend because it will be even more trying to find one of the locals. Even the fat girls in this place think they're better because they live in CA. A 5-6 easily can act like a 10 and nobody calls them out for it. I never seen a culture this bad, even when I spent time in Central PA I don't recall it being this bad even.

Fact is there is a lot of people who much prefer FL to anything in California but of course there are homers who try to push how the Bay Area was so great and da da da da da. Its to the point now where I can't stand the SF Giant colors. It was never like that in Tampa Bay for me. I disliked Parrish or most of Manatee when I was in FL because I got the view of that life more but that's small potatoes compared to locating out west and getting a total culture shock where even up to an hr or more away you couldn't find a good place to save your life.

And again very true! The beaches in CA are too cold to swim in. SF in the summer is colder than anywhere else. Its extremely overhyped and a concept I never heard of until coming here was wetsuits to go in the pacific OMG.

And thankfully the people from out west are not moving to FL in droves. Thankfully them hating the idea of living in FL has got around enough or else it would be priced up by now. And I guess not enough NY'ers in actuality have moved there as it seemed either. More have stayed put it looks after all.. that may also explain why rents are still pretty cheap. They didn't rise in the last 3-4 yrs like I thought they would considering some cities are going through renaissances like St Pete, maybe even Sarasota as they're getting a new mall I know on University. Some of the rents have stayed the same, maybe even got lower?? I just know last time I went looking around online, I saw some good prices for rooms to rent and if I don't go over my monthly checks, I can make it ok for a bit until I can find a job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armyvet1 View Post
I lived in Florida for about 20 years and the only problem I saw with the state is that it's geared more towards retired folks and a lot tougher to make it for young working families

Being in the service I've also lived in Germany, Washington State, Virginia since 2006, and was born and raised in New York.

Florida has some nice places, I think the state just needs to refocus it's future and bring in better jobs and higher pay for it's skilled work force.

Retirement and tourism is not something strong to base your economy on.
You're kinda correct.. I mean I would be re locating to FL more looking not so much at an area to settle down and have kids, but an area that be awesome to be a single. You get my drift? There are old people in FL indeed, but increasing young population and enough growth or temp agencies at least to keep people going until they can find something. Higher pay isn't everything as rents are lower. If you want a big disparity, most cities on the West Coast. In Portland rent balances to wages but so many frikken people apply to jobs and their economy is way more oversaturated! In CA there may be more jobs than that but the rents are too high! FL to me provides the perfect balance. Asheville IMO would be a much worse place to try and look for work in the Southeast region and seems even more like a retirement place. Its in fact like a Northern California area from all the research I did on that too. Like Chico or Nevada City or somewhere like that only bigger.

Old 09-15-2014, 10:33 AM

14,949 posts, read 12,143,957 times
Quote:
I lived in Florida for about 20 years and the only problem I saw with the state is that it's geared more towards retired folks and a lot tougher to make it for young working families

Being in the service I've also lived in Germany, Washington State, Virginia since 2006, and was born and raised in New York.

Florida has some nice places, I think the state just needs to refocus it's future and bring in better jobs and higher pay for it's skilled work force.

Retirement and tourism is not something strong to base your economy on.
I think you're right about all this. Considering the scazillions of tourists, including snowbirds, who flock to the state every year, I'd say that the Chamber of Commerce figures that tourism is their bread and butter, but it's true that the jobs in the tourist industry are for the most part minimum-wage or slightly above, and won't go far in maintaining a stable economy- especially when it's mostly seasonal.

I couldn't agree more about bringing in better and higher paid jobs to Florida for the skilled workforce, but this being a "right to work" state, ( and to some extent, having to compete with immigrants willing to work for less) may preclude the salaries being as high as those in the northeast, or even midwest where unions are strong. Of course, IMO, unions bring their own problems, so I am on the fence about that. As a professional myself, having lived and worked in Florida for 40 years and counting, I never had a problem getting a job but I can't say the pay was what it would have been in those other states. Part of the rationale that employers use, I think, in offering those lower salaries is 1) the lack of an income tax in Florida, and 2) they assume that people are so happy to be in the Sunshine State with the beaches and fun that they'll work for less- a really dumb assumption, IMO, but I've heard it said)....and 3) an assumption that the cost of living is less in Florida than elsewhere- which again, belies the reality out there, especially in southeast Florida.

Old 09-15-2014, 12:26 PM

1,087 posts, read 1,387,119 times
I know lots of people who live in Florida and do just fine. My brother lives in Ocala, his house payment is like 550 a month, mine in Virginia is 950 a month but the money here pays higher then Ocala so perhaps maybe in the end it does balance out.

Florida is very relaxed and as I have gotten older I kinda think that's nice. Also Florida is one of the most business friendly states on the east coast, the state is very low tax which if you were entrepreneurial, you could create your own quality of life down there.

When my wife graduated from college, in Florida, we almost didn't choose Virginia, we were looking into Jax as most college grads seek out bigger cities rather then a place like Ocala.

I'm ex-military and in a technical trade, I make 25 dollars an hour, I don't see Florida paying that high. My wife is in pharmaceutical management with Walgreens.

We're not rich either but do good.

Florida, like any other state, has it's pros and cons. I never liked Ocala, never will, but places like Jax, Orlando, St. Augustine I would be happy to call home if I ever had to live in Florida again.

Old 09-15-2014, 01:27 PM

14,949 posts, read 12,143,957 times
Quote:
I know lots of people who live in Florida and do just fine. My brother lives in Ocala, his house payment is like 550 a month, mine in Virginia is 950 a month but the money here pays higher then Ocala so perhaps maybe in the end it does balance out.

Florida is very relaxed and as I have gotten older I kinda think that's nice. Also Florida is one of the most business friendly states on the east coast, the state is very low tax which if you were entrepreneurial, you could create your own quality of life down there.

When my wife graduated from college, in Florida, we almost didn't choose Virginia, we were looking into Jax as most college grads seek out bigger cities rather then a place like Ocala.

I'm ex-military and in a technical trade, I make 25 dollars an hour, I don't see Florida paying that high. My wife is in pharmaceutical management with Walgreens.

We're not rich either but do good.

Florida, like any other state, has it's pros and cons. I never liked Ocala, never will, but places like Jax, Orlando, St. Augustine I would be happy to call home if I ever had to live in Florida again.
We're also some of those folks who've lived in Florida for many years and have done very well, as it's turned out. There are advantages and disadvantages to any location, of course, IMO you make your choices, change what you can and live with and make adjustments for what you can't change.

We've always figured that having no state income taxes, and the relatively low property and sales taxes ( at least compared to some other states), have balanced out the high homeowners' and auto insurance to some extent, but we still didn't want to spend our retirement in a crowded, expensive urban area-hr Miami, so we moved to the other coast, and have retired there. IMO life couldn't be better for us at this point.

I'm more familiar with salaries in healthcare than I am in other areas, but I guess like everywhere else salaries depend on the supply and demand for employees with particular skills. Salaries tend to be somewhat higher in SE Florida, they're certainly not so great where I live now, from all indications. It's possible, depending on the technical trade, with experience ( and demand!) a technician might make $25/hr, but I've heard it's more like perhaps $17-18, at least to start. I know RNs ( even those without BS degrees) can make around $25/hr, and more if they're experienced and specialized. Technicians in healthcare fields probably make more like $13-15 an hour, depending on where they're employed, a shift differential may raise that by about $2/hr.

I know several pharmacists who work at either Walgreen's or CVS in Florida, and I'm told they make well over $100,000 annually, one gal I know says she's making about $150,000.

Old 09-15-2014, 01:57 PM

5,023 posts, read 7,225,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldCountry80 View Post
Me and you talked before.. you were saying how you hated FL and wanted to be in Oregon or California or somewhere like that.

And a family situation brought me to the Central Valley area or North central whatever you want to call it. I wanted to move to Portland at the time so I went with coming to Sacramento in the meantime but Portland became a bust so after that I had no true reason to stay out West or California and a more better neighborhood for me in FL is where I would have lived well if I had saved money at the time and not hurried to the West Coast. I was sorta pushed though so some of it was out of my control. As far as I was concerned, my Portland plan was a 5-10 yr plan and ended up doing it a lot sooner because I was on other peoples terms so I couldn't execute it correctly. Coming out to the west has been the worst experience ever but I learned from it.
Are you unable to move somewhere else?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida