Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2024, 01:48 PM

1,978 posts, read 951,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
I once attended a funeral where it was specifically requested that we wear festive clothing/colors.

Yes, I've worn tie-dye to one funeral and a Jeff Gordon tee to another. We loaned Alabama tees to some people we knew who were attending the funeral of a fan and it had been requested. I think it's fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2024, 03:47 PM

13,717 posts, read 12,468,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
For me it's always a dark suit, white shirt, dark tie, black shoes.

It often turns out that I am dressed much more formally than anyone else in attendance. That varies a lot based on the socioeconomic status of the family and community, but I would still play it very conservatively, especially in Manhattan.
Same. If I were to go to one in Manhattan I'd be dressed as you describe.

Old 04-22-2024, 06:17 PM

6,594 posts, read 4,998,312 times
I have gone to ones were we were asked to dress in bright colors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Have you been to a funeral lately? I have seen lots of t-shirts, shorts, plenty of people in sneakers, etc. Jeans and a pullover shirt are as dressy as some people get. Personally, I find it a little tacky, but some people don't know any better, and some don't have any better. Ultimately, their presence is what is most important.
Yes, after stressing over what to wear at a service about 10 years ago, I was pretty annoyed to find girls wearing tight clothes, bra straps exposed (ie a backless top without an appropriate bra), flip flops etc. Guys had tshirts with huge logos. It had been over 10 years since I went to a funeral and I guess things have changed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Same, especially in the summer when it's hot. Last few funerals I've been to have had plenty of jeans and t-shirts, especially in the summer. I saw plenty of ladies in flip flops and have even seen yoga pants/leggings.

For my own funeral i'm going to make a request for it to be casual in nature. I hate suits and dressing up, so I don't want to make anyone do so on my account.
I don't even want a service.

Old 04-22-2024, 06:30 PM

4,994 posts, read 5,304,844 times
Black or other dark muted colors or Sunday best/work dress clothes if you don't have that. Failing all that, just show up.

Old 04-22-2024, 09:10 PM

2,045 posts, read 3,360,579 times
People wear anything now. Often it says something in the Obituary, also. (I'm an administrator of an Obituary page so i read many of them.)

But WTS, if you are unsure just don't wear something really bright - unless the deceased always wore bright colors and you want to honor them. Like i said, people dress differently now than the old days.

I think the best thing you can do is just pay your respects.

Old 04-22-2024, 09:23 PM

4,234 posts, read 4,903,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
Black or other dark muted colors or Sunday best/work dress clothes if you don't have that. Failing all that, just show up.
Yeah I think showing up is the most important part. I wear a navy lounge suit with no tie. I'm not a waiter, so I don't own a black suit.

Old 04-22-2024, 10:39 PM

5,592 posts, read 8,418,230 times
My cousin died at age 70 back in 2009. He had a bunch of kids and grandkids. I was amazed at the viewing to see all the teenaged grandsons wearing suits and ties. I knew that was probably instilled in them by my cousin, you must have a good suit. Later I went to another relative's funeral and her grandson came in wearing jeans (in the church). I mean, OK if the kid doesn't have a suit, but jeans??

Anyway, my funeral attire is black pants and a black top or sweater set of some sort. I can't wear heels anymore so I just wear my black Skechers. No one's looking at my feet, I'm sure. I have worn a black hat to a funeral. But definitely, no hats on the male attendees at either the viewing or church.

Old 04-23-2024, 02:36 AM

61,875 posts, read 87,361,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
What always surprises me is that some women take it as an opportunity to dress sexily. Like has been mentioned, don't make it about yourself.
Looking for a suitable widow?
I am serious. I noticed it several times.

Old 04-23-2024, 02:52 AM

61,875 posts, read 87,361,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
I'm not a waiter, so I don't own a black suit.

This is a very strange statement.
Most professionals own dark and black suits, formal dress shirts, a black bow tie, and black patent leather shoes, even formal clothes because they attend gatherings that require formal attire.
Ever heard of formal dress code - white or black tie?
My son had to buy all that when he started adult life.
Those people aren't wait staff.

Last edited by elnina; 04-23-2024 at 03:09 AM..

Old 04-23-2024, 06:50 AM

22,619 posts, read 47,758,002 times
I have never know anyone to fret over the color of their winter coat or their umbrella when paying their respects.
Or the style of the coat - since the OP mentioned that also.

Way overthinking since those is among the OP's concerns...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty