Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2024, 10:59 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,771,340 times

Advertisements

Wondering what you would personally consider appropriate to wear at a funeral.

Of course, jeans, anything too short and bright colors are out. But, what about grey, navy or brown?
Would you wear a hat? And what about shoes (stilettos and sneakers are not appropriate) but what about wearing comfortable looking shoes or boots. Would that be considered too casual?

What kind of coat (if held at winter)? I'm thinking you can't wear a down coat no matter how cold it is. And if raining are only black umbrellas appropriate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2024, 02:06 AM

61,742 posts, read 87,194,708 times
Business casual, black or dark colors. Nothing loud or eye catching. Conservative. Respectful.

But it also depends on the local customs and relation to the deceased.

You are very considerate.
Most people are not - willingly or just clueless.

You might want to check on this:
https://www.betterplaceforests.com/b...ar-to-funeral/

Old 04-22-2024, 04:21 AM

632 posts, read 298,905 times
Black, dark grey, or navy blue solids seem to be the most appropriate. Nothing too revealing.

Old 04-22-2024, 05:13 AM

9,459 posts, read 5,229,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Business casual, black or dark colors. Nothing loud or eye catching. Conservative. Respectful.

But it also depends on the local customs and relation to the deceased.

You are very considerate.
Most people are not - willingly or just clueless.

You might want to check on this:
https://www.betterplaceforests.com/b...ar-to-funeral/
Agree with this. Something conservative and low key. However, I once attended a funeral where it was specifically requested that we wear festive clothing/colors. It was nice.

Old 04-22-2024, 07:51 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times
It depends on the circumstances. A formal church funeral with procession to the cemetery is still going to be shirt and tie, or at least business casual, though less common. More often we have experienced the "memorial" which is more of a celebration of the deceased's life, with jeans and tees fine, even shorts if held outdoors. The last 3 we have been to were memorials, the last and one next weekend outdoors.

Old 04-22-2024, 08:34 AM

22,343 posts, read 29,452,102 times
Dark colors

Old 04-22-2024, 08:44 AM

4,233 posts, read 6,911,686 times
As a guy, I have usually worn my darkest grey suit. I don't buy black suits unless it's a tuxedo, which is not appropriate.

For women, anything black or dark gray is first choice. Deep navy next.

Conservative and minimal to no patterns - basically don't look like you're trying to be the spotlight. As a guy, I skip extras like pocket squares or tie clips for the same reason.

Old 04-22-2024, 08:53 AM

41,967 posts, read 75,229,826 times
My aunt always wore white to funerals - she said it symbolized the beginning of a new life. She was buried in a white suit.

Old 04-22-2024, 08:57 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,293,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
Wondering what you would personally consider appropriate to wear at a funeral.

Of course, jeans, anything too short and bright colors are out. But, what about grey, navy or brown?
Would you wear a hat? And what about shoes (stilettos and sneakers are not appropriate) but what about wearing comfortable looking shoes or boots. Would that be considered too casual?

What kind of coat (if held at winter)? I'm thinking you can't wear a down coat no matter how cold it is. And if raining are only black umbrellas appropriate?
Have you been to a funeral lately? I have seen lots of t-shirts, shorts, plenty of people in sneakers, etc. Jeans and a pullover shirt are as dressy as some people get. Personally, I find it a little tacky, but some people don't know any better, and some don't have any better. Ultimately, their presence is what is most important.

Old 04-22-2024, 08:59 AM

2,090 posts, read 1,016,740 times
Interesting how death and mourning traditions change over time. In the Victorian era mourners, and especially widows, wore plain black clothing and sometimes black veils for a prescribed time period, depending on who died. There were social norms of how to dress and behave after a death.

I've only been to one memorial, a "life celebration" that was casual and more of a party in honor of the deceased. Food, cash bar, a slide show showing pictures of the deceased and his family throughout life, and anyone was welcome to stand up and share some memories. Sure it was still sad, but more of a 'good sad' rather than being stuffy and formal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty