Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2024, 09:21 AM

15,802 posts, read 20,526,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Have you been to a funeral lately? I have seen lots of t-shirts, shorts, plenty of people in sneakers, etc. Jeans and a pullover shirt are as dressy as some people get. Personally, I find it a little tacky, but some people don't know any better, and some don't have any better. Ultimately, their presence is what is most important.

Same, especially in the summer when it's hot. Last few funerals I've been to have had plenty of jeans and t-shirts, especially in the summer. I saw plenty of ladies in flip flops and have even seen yoga pants/leggings.

For my own funeral i'm going to make a request for it to be casual in nature. I hate suits and dressing up, so I don't want to make anyone do so on my account.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2024, 09:24 AM

1,921 posts, read 908,620 times
All of the "rules" are fine when the service is held on a weekend or after work hours. If the funeral is held in the middle of the day during the workweek, people show up in their work attire. You are there to pay your respects. The family cares not what you are wearing. They are just glad to see you.

Old 04-22-2024, 09:42 AM

1,140 posts, read 618,456 times
Recently at a funeral of a loved one, I was was glad to see my friends attend during the weekday.

I told them that they didn't have to come because it was sudden and during a weekday.

The 1st friend that showed up was just truly an acquaintance - he came straight from work. He wore jeans and sports shirt.

Other friends trickled in... some wore suits, or slacks and a dress shirt.

To tell you the truth I don't remember, and in all honesty I didn't care what they wore.

All that mattered is that they cared enough to come and show their support.

TBF no one came in shorts or something tacky.

Old 04-22-2024, 09:56 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,446,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
Wondering what you would personally consider appropriate to wear at a funeral.

Of course, jeans, anything too short and bright colors are out. But, what about grey, navy or brown?
Would you wear a hat? And what about shoes (stilettos and sneakers are not appropriate) but what about wearing comfortable looking shoes or boots. Would that be considered too casual?

What kind of coat (if held at winter)? I'm thinking you can't wear a down coat no matter how cold it is. And if raining are only black umbrellas appropriate?
Eh...I'm a guy, and tend towards more conservatively formal when it comes to funerals and weddings, so take this with a grain of salt.

I have a nice, heavy Hart Schaffner Marx longcoat. If It's super cold, I'll wear that but otherwise I hvae a black or grey peacoat that would work. I would personally not wear a North Face/Patagonia type puffy coat, but I wouldn't think unkindly towards someone that did. I get that not everyone has the more formal outerwear anymore.

I don't think anyone would look twice at someone wearing grey, navy or brown. I think your instincts on shoes are spot on, avoid sneakers, otherwise, not a big deal.

As for rain, I'm assuming you're referring to a graveside service, and I don't think that umbrella color is a huge deal anymore. Anyway, as far as the funeral service/funeral home proceedings, you aren't opening the umbrella inside so no one will notice.

Old 04-22-2024, 11:30 AM

11,761 posts, read 14,661,252 times
For me it's always a dark suit, white shirt, dark tie, black shoes.

It often turns out that I am dressed much more formally than anyone else in attendance. That varies a lot based on the socioeconomic status of the family and community, but I would still play it very conservatively, especially in Manhattan.

Old 04-22-2024, 11:42 AM

19,429 posts, read 15,255,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
Agree with this. Something conservative and low key. However, I once attended a funeral where it was specifically requested that we wear festive clothing/colors. It was nice.
I was just about to type this. We've been to a few of them. And, yes, do that only if specifically requested or welcomed, of course.

Old 04-22-2024, 11:46 AM

17,590 posts, read 13,372,722 times
Quote:
Have you been to a funeral lately? I have seen lots of t-shirts, shorts, plenty of people in sneakers, etc. Jeans and a pullover shirt are as dressy as some people get. Personally, I find it a little tacky, but some people don't know any better, and some don't have any better. Ultimately, their presence is what is most important.
We've seen the same thing lately. I found it shocking.

Although, unless a very close friend or family member, I've gove to gray slacks and blue blazer. Depending on circumstances, with or without a tie

Old 04-22-2024, 11:47 AM

3,060 posts, read 2,039,242 times
I always wear my darkest colors unless requested otherwise it it will be a celebration.

I will however never forget going to my great-uncle's funeral in South Philly 30 years ago.
He was a Catholic priest and had been at this church for decades, although retired for a few he lived there.
I was amazed at what some people came in wearing, shorts and looking like they were going to the beach very soon.
Also amazed that the church was not filled with parishioners due to his longevity there.

Carpe diem. I won't have a funeral.

Old 04-22-2024, 11:52 AM

Quote:
What always surprises me is that some women take it as an opportunity to dress sexily. Like has been mentioned, don't make it about yourself.

Old 04-22-2024, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
Wondering what you would personally consider appropriate to wear at a funeral.

Of course, jeans, anything too short and bright colors are out. But, what about grey, navy or brown?
Would you wear a hat? And what about shoes (stilettos and sneakers are not appropriate) but what about wearing comfortable looking shoes or boots. Would that be considered too casual?

What kind of coat (if held at winter)? I'm thinking you can't wear a down coat no matter how cold it is. And if raining are only black umbrellas appropriate?
I think it would be easier to answer if you gave some examples of what you're considering wearing, and what exactly you mean by "comfortable."

I would say that all of the things that apply to the clothing would apply to the umbrella. So, not necessarily black, but just muted and low-key.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty