Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2024, 11:31 AM

19,435 posts, read 15,279,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbather View Post
context and location are always key!

I have also been to more casual wakes and funerals. And, if they specifically say to be casual, I don't dress up the same. If someone does not note anything about dress code, I typically will wear a dark suit.

But I completely agree that some people specify casual and when that is the case, I respect their family's wishes because that is who we are honoring anyway!
Yes, it almost seems just as disrespectful to wear somber clothing if they want it to be a lighthearted celebration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2024, 05:44 PM

4,234 posts, read 4,903,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbather View Post
context and location are always key!

I have also been to more casual wakes and funerals. And, if they specifically say to be casual, I don't dress up the same. If someone does not note anything about dress code, I typically will wear a dark suit.

But I completely agree that some people specify casual and when that is the case, I respect their family's wishes because that is who we are honoring anyway!
If in doubt you can get away with dark trousers, a shirt and blazer. That's casual enough for "casual" but wouldn't really look out of place at any funeral.

Let's be honest, unless you turn up in a clown suit it's unlikely what you wear is really going to be noticed all that much.

Old 04-25-2024, 01:23 PM

6,833 posts, read 11,573,384 times
I went to high school with several cousins whose fathers were owners of a local funeral home. The cousins were all very involved in a sport whose competitions were after school (vs. evenings like you’d have with football or basketball). You could always pick out the uncles, they were the men in a very conservative gray suits, white shirts and quiet ties.

Old 04-27-2024, 09:34 AM

3,081 posts, read 1,687,441 times
At the last two funerals I attended, more people were dressed in casuals like jeans - especially the men (though the pallbearers wore suits). 'Black' is still worn but not as severely as it used to be. Much has changed.

Old 04-27-2024, 01:54 PM

88,669 posts, read 84,974,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
My aunt always wore white to funerals - she said it symbolized the beginning of a new life. She was buried in a white suit.
Was she Chinese?

I remember reading a humorous piece by an American who was staying with a Chinese family, and there was a wedding. She put on a red dress, and the family was horrified. Red is for the bride. She changed to a white dress, and the family was horrified. White is for funerals.

I would not care. It's just nice that people show up.

At the funeral of my brother, an electrician, some of his coworkers showed up in their work clothes. We were touched that they had come, and no one cared how they were dressed. My brother requested that he be buried in jeans and his favorite sweatshirt, because he only wore a suit when it was necessary. He wanted to be buried dressed as he was in life.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 04-28-2024 at 06:04 AM.. Reason: Missing word

Old 04-28-2024, 05:48 AM

553 posts, read 399,331 times
I'm a female who works in IT who has been full time Work from Home for the past four years now. My office when I used to go into the office every day thru the years started with business attire (suits men and women), then went to business casual (slacks and sweaters for women), and then to casual (jeans and whatever sweater or shirt or T-shirt one wanted to wear that didn't have wording on it). Where this puts me is that I don't own much in the way of formal clothing or even business casual clothing now.. Even my church / adult education class has gotten casual and I wear jeans there. The most I dress up is to go to the theatre and I just wear slacks and a sweater.

What I would wear to a funeral is the one pair of navy slacks that own as well as a three quarter sleeve medium gray cotton sweater I own. I also have black shoes that are reasonably comfortable that I can wear with slacks and black socks. I wear the same thing to weddings if I am more of a peripheral person and to the theatre (four shows a year -- our rep theatre where people dress up a little).

For a funeral IMHO -- it's for me just wanting to pay my respects, blend in, and keep shopping to a minimum.

Old 04-28-2024, 10:13 PM

5,135 posts, read 4,493,502 times
I’m a woman. I dress formally and conservatively to funerals. I always wear either a black or a gray suit with a white top, pantyhose, high-heeled black shoes, and a simple handbag.

Old 05-02-2024, 06:23 AM

17,418 posts, read 16,590,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Business casual, black or dark colors. Nothing loud or eye catching. Conservative. Respectful.

But it also depends on the local customs and relation to the deceased.

You are very considerate.
Most people are not - willingly or just clueless.

You might want to check on this:
https://www.betterplaceforests.com/b...ar-to-funeral/
This. Subdued, no cleavage, nothing clingy, dark colors. Respectful.

The only exception is if it is requested that you wear something in particular to honor the deceased like bright colors, etc.

Old Today, 03:02 AM

18,542 posts, read 18,789,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
Agree with this. Something conservative and low key. However, I once attended a funeral where it was specifically requested that we wear festive clothing/colors. It was nice.
For a younger persons funeral..its usually brighter colours nowadays..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty