Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 03:46 PM

19,683 posts, read 12,265,621 times

Advertisements

I looooove boarding shorts and buy them from the boy's section. I pair them with a nice top and sandals and they don't look butch at all. Women are expected to look "hot" all the time now so shorts are short and heels are high. It's cool to have a choice but when you have to shop in the boys or men's sections to get the choice it's not the best sign. And if the alternative in the women's section is pajama bottoms or ugly shapeless stuff- also not good. I really miss the nineties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2010, 05:47 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,112,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
I looooove boarding shorts and buy them from the boy's section. I pair them with a nice top and sandals and they don't look butch at all. Women are expected to look "hot" all the time now so shorts are short and heels are high. It's cool to have a choice but when you have to shop in the boys or men's sections to get the choice it's not the best sign. And if the alternative in the women's section is pajama bottoms or ugly shapeless stuff- also not good. I really miss the nineties.
Yeah I agree, part of the reason 90% of men and 90% of women stick to the fashion assigned for them is because that is basically all there is in all but the speciality fashion stores. The people who decide fashion decide it for all of us. Mainstream men's fashion is dull and boring and hasn't changed at all since about 2002, with the exception of a few trends like skinny jeans.

I notice longer shorts are still in fashion with females in Europe, judging from some of the many Euro backpackers I've met. I'm wondering if this fashion will return any time soon.

Old 12-09-2010, 01:14 PM

30 posts, read 58,351 times
I love board shorts from PacSun, they look cute paired with a nice top and sandals. I don't think they look butchy on girls at all. And besides the majority of lesbians you can't even tell their gay and who cares??

Old 12-10-2010, 04:55 PM

1,949 posts, read 3,866,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Partly in response to the 'shorter shorts for men' thread, I thought I'd look at the opposite. In the 90s and early 00s I noticed long boardshorts or cargo pants were pretty popular with females of all ages, but about 2004 I notice really short shorts started coming back again. I mainly notice the longer (I mean like knee-length) shorts being worn either by older women, women who don't care much about fashion, maybe the especially fashionable or lesbians (I've noticed this many times here at least, definitely). Is this because long shorts have become a 'guy' thing and thus are associated with men? Part of the same reason how short shorts are seen as feminine/gay?
Women can wear whatever they want.

Old 12-13-2010, 02:46 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,112,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpat View Post
Women can wear whatever they want.
They can but they usually wear what Harper's Bazaar or their friends tell them to.

While men wear whatever isn't considered 'gay'.

Old 12-13-2010, 07:53 AM

1,949 posts, read 3,866,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
They can but they usually wear what Harper's Bazaar or their friends tell them to.

While men wear whatever isn't considered 'gay'.
Whis is pretty true....but the spread of what men can wear is tiny compared to what women can - especially in the workplace.

Old 12-15-2010, 01:28 PM

501 posts, read 1,065,549 times
Longer shorts are absolutely NOT for women. Any woman that wears them MUST be a lesbian, a joke, and are very unattractive.

---finally I get to even out the score from all of these "what men shouldn't be wearing" threads.

Old 12-15-2010, 01:32 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,067,879 times
Men.........women........NO ONE looks good in long shorts..........the length is simply NOT flattering to the legs.

Old 12-15-2010, 01:35 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,428,303 times
I just don't like my legs above the knee to touch things. I don't know what it is, but it feels icky. So I'm gonna wear the longer shorts sometimes. Just more comfortable.

Old 12-18-2010, 06:18 AM

Location: For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.
88 posts, read 293,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I just don't like my legs above the knee to touch things. I don't know what it is, but it feels icky.
Exactly.
Longer shorts allow the female a greater opportunity to "breathe." Also understand that longer shorts spare humanity the burden of viewing such eyesores as those which exist north of most female's knees.

Last edited by Bohemian Enigma; 12-18-2010 at 06:19 AM.. Reason: An eyesore momentarily distracted me. Please forgive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty