Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 08:30 PM

2,301 posts, read 2,033,288 times

Advertisements

I'm a member of a fitness center. I sometimes think I'm their oldest member. Not the person who has been a member the longest, mind you, I'm talking about the person who is the oldest. I know there are many times when I'm the oldest guy there by two decades. I say all of this because there are a number of young women who work-out at this facility who wear long, baggy shorts and to my "mature" eyes, it sure doesn't look attractive. It looks pretty butch, as a matter of fact. To tell you the truth, many of the women who wear this attire seem to even walk in a masculine manner.

Anyhow, I wonder if anyone else has noticed this or is it just me and my lack of sports fashion sense.

Last edited by GalileoSmith; 06-15-2010 at 08:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2010, 08:41 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,530,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalileoSmith View Post
I'm a member of a fitness center. I sometimes think I'm their oldest member. Not the person who has been a member the longest, mind you, I'm talking about the person who is the oldest. I know there are many times when I'm the oldest guy there by two decades. I say all of this because there are a number of young women who work-out at this facility who wear long, baggy shorts and to my "mature" eyes, it sure doesn't look attractive. It looks pretty butch, as a matter of fact. To tell you the truth, many of the women who wear this attire seem to even walk in a masculine manner.

Anyhow, I wonder if anyone else has noticed this or is it just me and my lack of sports fashion sense.
Newsflash....they are probably lesbians.

Old 06-15-2010, 08:52 PM

2,301 posts, read 2,033,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Newsflash....they are probably lesbians.
Yeah, well that occurred to me. But the percentage of women wearing long shorts is pretty high and I doubt that all of them are lesbians. I think some of the women who appear more masculine are effecting my perception of all those women who wear long shorts. Consequently, the style comes across as a turn-off, at least to me. Which ultimately results in this thread.

Old 06-15-2010, 08:59 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,530,120 times
Quote:
Yeah, well that occurred to me. But the percentage of women wearing long shorts is pretty high and I doubt that all of them are lesbians. I think some of the women who appear more masculine are effecting my perception of all those women who wear long shorts. Consequently, the style comes across as a turn-off, at least to me. Which ultimately results in this thread.
OK. Maybe not ALL of them but probably the majority are who wear the long shorts to work out.

The long shorts are just not flattering. And I don't recall them being sold as women's attire in any sporting goods store (or any store that sells women's workout wear) so the women who wear them would have to specifically seek out that style in the men's section.

The "hot" workout gear for most women leans more towards yoga style.

Old 06-15-2010, 08:59 PM

1,233 posts, read 2,825,510 times
They probably just don't want guys (ahem) oggling at them while they're working out. Not to mention, it's workout clothes - those kinds of shorts are cheap.

Old 06-15-2010, 09:15 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,114,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emi__ View Post
They probably just don't want guys (ahem) oggling at them while they're working out. Not to mention, it's workout clothes - those kinds of shorts are cheap.
Exactly. And if they wear short, tight lycra they are accused of "wanting the attention". Please.

It's an easy way to fend of dirty old men.

If you are spending time at your gym worrying about what other people are wearing then you are not working out hard enough!!! So crank up the incline on that treadmill or thow a few extra pounds on the weight machine and get on with your big bad self.

Old 06-15-2010, 11:01 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,047,844 times
This is why I don't go to gyms unless it's an exclusive all-women's gym. If you dress in the way most young attractive women dress you're a flirt or a floozy or at the very least "fair game" for men to ogle you. Yet, if you dress comfortably or more modestly you're an unnattractive manly lesbo or else there's something else horribly wrong with you. Bajeezus! *sigh*

Old 06-16-2010, 05:50 PM

476 posts, read 1,134,771 times
Quote:
.... the percentage of women wearing long shorts is pretty high and I doubt that all of them are lesbians. I think some of the women who appear more masculine are effecting my perception of all those women who wear long shorts. Consequently, the style comes across as a turn-off, at least to me. Which ultimately results in this thread.
Most women wear long shorts for the same reasons men do; it's comfortable and nothing rides up or falls out. Also women don't want some creepy guy lazing around on the recumbent bike ogling their bodies or "style".

When I'm out for a trail run I'm shirtless/sports bra/tiny running shorts. If I encounter a few people on the trail I quickly pass by; we're not stuck in a room together. I'd never wear so little at the gym. I don't need that kind of attention.

Old 06-17-2010, 10:51 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,260,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emi__ View Post
^^^THAT!

I dressed like rocky when I had to deal with gym creeps. Nothing is more disgusting to me than when you are po-ed and sweaty and you feel this creepy "watched" feeling, only to turn to see someone old enough to be your dad making sexmo wanty face at your butt.

I think we need to bring back the 50's style "be a gentleman" slap....

Old 06-17-2010, 10:58 AM

2,543 posts, read 4,885,635 times
I do wear longer shorts, running/jogging shorts in large, these days. The large size is the perfect length for me. Because medium rides up too much and look like short-shorts after a while. But the only type of shorts I wear when I workout are jogging/running shorts (them and denim shorts are the only kind of shorts I like).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty