Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2012, 12:41 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,037,872 times

Advertisements

It seems from 2001-2002, those super short denim shorts have been like a uniform for girls and young women, especially in the summer months. It's been over 10 years, and they're still so ubiquitous, why is that? I guess denim in general has been dominant for awhile now, but you sometimes do see other types of fabrics and it's cool seeing different colours. It seems long cargo type shorts for women only seemed big in the 90s and early 00s. Now they're seen as sorta butch. I even sometimes hear of them being described as 'boyfriend' shorts lmao.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2012, 12:53 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,120,199 times
Wow - it's not like that here in the states, lol!
They look great on ladies with nice thighs - no bagginess.

Old 11-06-2012, 07:37 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,709,514 times
Ehhh...I hate those short shorts. I don't know if I hate those or gaucho pants more.
Its only popular because it seems there are two lengths out there like you said. Too long and unflattering or hoochie mode shorts. Shorts, I think, are best saved for children and causal male dress. Skirts look so much better on every female. Its not like those shortie shorts help with keeping you covered while bending over or anything.

And if you have a butt..forget it. Shortie shorts are for flatbutts.

I tried on a pair just to see what they look like..they don't pass the "bend over" test.
....unless I was trying out for some adult video then it may work....

Old 11-06-2012, 07:54 AM

5,258 posts, read 9,140,673 times
I personally don't like them, but there are some who can pull it off really well.

Old 11-06-2012, 10:19 PM

701 posts, read 1,562,487 times
I love short shorts and I love the way my legs look in them.

And who is bending over in shorts? They're like skirts; you're supposed to squat down in them in order to stay covered.

Old 11-07-2012, 06:01 AM

22,572 posts, read 47,633,000 times
All you gotta do is view the People of WalMart site... and you'll see people that should NEVER wear short shorts.

Old 11-07-2012, 08:50 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,709,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbelles View Post
I love short shorts and I love the way my legs look in them.

And who is bending over in shorts? They're like skirts; you're supposed to squat down in them in order to stay covered.

You must have a different shape than me. Leaning forward does it. Squatting just makes them ride up and you have to pull them back down. Butt cheeks still pop out.

The ones I tried on were the shorter of the two shorties. I have seen the longer ones with skinny tops that are longer but I think they look teen-ish. (not my style)

Old 11-07-2012, 10:09 AM

3,588 posts, read 5,727,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
It seems from 2001-2002, those super short denim shorts have been like a uniform for girls and young women, especially in the summer months. It's been over 10 years, and they're still so ubiquitous, why is that? I guess denim in general has been dominant for awhile now, but you sometimes do see other types of fabrics and it's cool seeing different colours. It seems long cargo type shorts for women only seemed big in the 90s and early 00s. Now they're seen as sorta butch. I even sometimes hear of them being described as 'boyfriend' shorts lmao.
I suppose a lot of women think they have the body to pull those shorts off, but in truth only 3 or 4 out of 10 actually do have the body. They think it looks sexy and they like the attention. The first man to see them in that getup to offer them a twenty to go around the back of the building with them, would probably get slapped in the face, but they invite that kind of response with that kind of dressing. Where I live, the temperatures approach 105 degrees some days in the summer. How in the world have I gotten through three summers without flashing all that cleavage, leg, butt, and upper thigh? And still get through my days fairly comfortably!

Old 11-07-2012, 11:52 AM

41,951 posts, read 75,160,115 times
Short shorts, denim or otherwise, have been around since before I was born. Perhaps a little historical perspective before beginning threads is in order?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcvjXAtzaMU

Old 11-08-2012, 02:09 PM

4,868 posts, read 8,408,792 times
I look fat if the shorts are even 2 inches too long, especially denim. My longer shorts are either long enough or not denim. They never look trashy on me and my friends would not hesitate to let me know if it did. I've had the same denim short shorts for 5 years and wear them consistently. It really just depends on your body shape. I'm thin ish and curvy so bulk in the wrong areas make me look huge. If I was boyish but the same weight, short shorts would look weird on me. Its all in how you're shaped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty