Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2008, 10:47 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,452,075 times

Advertisements

Today I gave my dogs their heartworm meds only to find out that my husband did the same 3 days ago !

It's been crazy in my household lately, I've been working 11 and 12 hour days. He says he told me - and he probably did - but I guess it didn't register (must be that whole "tuning him out" thing ).

The dogs appear to be fine, they are acting completely normal. Do I need to worry about this?

I have never done this before, we are usually so careful about their medications, I'm horrified to think I've done something harmful to them .
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2008, 02:12 AM

5,094 posts, read 12,585,970 times
Did you call the vets office and ask them? Are they on Heartguard or Interceptor? I would watch for vomiting, diarrhea, incoordination, depressiom, drowsiness,loss of appetite, drooling ,seizures or weakness and call the vet ASAP if you see any of those signs. I am not sure if a double dose will harm the liver or not as some drugs things seem well at first but they cause liver damage that you do not see right away so you probably want to ask a vet about that.

With Phoenix living with my dad and him being 84 and forgetful that is always a worry of mine that he will OD her on her heartguard. I live too far away and do not always get down there often enough so he is the one that has to do the meds. Your post just made me think I should make a little sticker saying which month each dose is and put it on the dose....

I hope your dogs will be fine but I would check with the vet asap.

Old 11-27-2008, 04:47 AM

18,717 posts, read 33,376,773 times
My beagle ate $50 worth of Heartguard and the vet said it's no problem, just expensive. He said that treatment for heartworm is megadoses of the same stuff we give as a preventative.
(Why does anyone adopt beagles? Why?)

Old 11-27-2008, 08:19 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,043,538 times
I had a dog that had a reaction to Heartworm preventative once. The reaction came on almost immediately after giving it to him.

Unfortunately, there was nothing I could do to make it better but wait until it got better.

If your dogs are going to have a reaction it should display pretty soon after they took it.

Old 11-27-2008, 08:40 AM

549 posts, read 2,205,270 times
How's your dog today? I hope that all is well and that there's been no reaction. I'll keep your baby in my thoughts and prayers

Old 11-28-2008, 06:49 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,161,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
My beagle ate $50 worth of Heartguard and the vet said it's no problem, just expensive. He said that treatment for heartworm is megadoses of the same stuff we give as a preventative.
(Why does anyone adopt beagles? Why?)
LOL! I agree having watched a beagle for a friend one long weekend. Never again! And I don't understand why anyone would pay so much much for a puggle either. Beagle traits in a pug sounds like a terrible idea to me.

One of my friends had two Norwegian Elkhounds. She got the two Heartguard doses on the counters ready to go... and somehow one of her dogs ate both of them. She about had a heart attack from worry. But her vet said it was no big deal and the opportunistic dog was fine.

Old 11-28-2008, 03:34 PM

549 posts, read 2,205,270 times
I had a beagle for almost 18 years, and although she 'collected' stuff and would pile it up in the back yard, overall she was a perfect dog. She was friendly to people and other animals...and never chewed any of my belongings, never got into stuff she shouldn't have...so either I trained her well or she was the exception to the beagle rule

Old 11-28-2008, 03:42 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,691,224 times
my dog hates the pills, I need to force them into the mouth. However, on walks she looks for worms,
and yuck stuff to try to eat, and the pill is a flavored one. I do have a place where I do place the sticker when I give her the pill, or I may do it again. Yes they are costly, and I get them, after
her test from Dr Foster, seems somewhat cheaper.

Old 11-28-2008, 09:56 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,452,075 times
Thanks everyone for responding.

It is Heartguard, the chewable little bars. They still seem to be perfectly fine and we're going to double-check with the vet tomorrow (of course, this happened after my vet was closed for the holiday and I didn't want to make an emergency call to him if it wasn't truly an emergency).

I'm thinking as you are, Brightdoglover, that a one-time event like this should be pretty harmless and these are not delicate dogs.

I'll let everyone know what my vet says after my husband talks to him tomorrow.

They are looking and acting 100% fine, so I'm crossing my fingers that there is no damage done.

Ugh, the guilt I'm feeling !

Old 11-29-2008, 08:14 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,043,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
Thanks everyone for responding.

It is Heartguard, the chewable little bars. They still seem to be perfectly fine and we're going to double-check with the vet tomorrow (of course, this happened after my vet was closed for the holiday and I didn't want to make an emergency call to him if it wasn't truly an emergency).

I'm thinking as you are, Brightdoglover, that a one-time event like this should be pretty harmless and these are not delicate dogs.

I'll let everyone know what my vet says after my husband talks to him tomorrow.

They are looking and acting 100% fine, so I'm crossing my fingers that there is no damage done.

Ugh, the guilt I'm feeling !
If you've not noticed a reaction, you're probably not going to.

One thing's for sure,... they should be heartworm free!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs