Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 06:19 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,556,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
once again, it is incredibly difficult for a dog to overdose on heartworm protection...

the dosage in heartworm pills is 1/10th of the SAFE dosage used as a general dewormer, and its used in MUCH higher doses than that, to treat mites and such, so no, i wouldnt worry too much...

the ONLY time its a problem is if you have a dog sensitive to the ingredient (ie collies and ivermectin) but generlaly a reaction woudl be imediate in thsoe cases.
Yes, and the dogs with the MDR1 gene (collies and some in other herding breeds as well so you can't assume unless you have the dog tested for the gene) were only sensitive at 16 times the heartguard dose. The majority of those dogs getting sick were given the ivomec for cattle that people buy and dose themselves at the widely published 0.1ml/lb which is actually more than 20 times the dose for heartworms.

Actually a good reference for the genetic issue and the drugs that can cause problems with mutated dogs.
http://www.sheltie4me.com/info/display?PageID=5258
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2013, 07:21 AM

1 posts, read 3,356 times
This morning our Mini White Schnauzer, around 12 lbs. worth, snuck up on my computor stand and ate three heartworm bars. I had them out for him and the other two schnauzers we have. I immediately called my vet and she recommended I give my peroxide to make him vomit. I have done this about three times and he has yet to vomit. He seems ok but i am watching him to make sure he is ok.

Old 05-01-2013, 03:24 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,866,274 times
3 heartorm tabs would have 3/100th of a cc of ivermectin per 10lbs...thats 1/33th cc of active ingredient per 10lbs
ivermectin is generally safe at a dose of 1/10th a cc per 10lbs
(its used at higher doese for other thigns too....)

so 3 chewies isnt ideal but he'll be fine! id stop making him il an relx as lng as hes not acting weird.

Old 10-11-2013, 11:26 PM

1 posts, read 3,194 times
gave the litle guy a 7 pound jack russel chiuaua mix a third of the bar for heart wrom . he seems ok , not as frisky but that goes with all medicine . his nose is a little warm and hes drowsy but keeping an eye on him is the best we can do for now. all dogs seem to get a little sick from that medicine but its better than the disease.,ok goods night

Old 10-12-2013, 07:11 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,905,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by collysarebestdogs View Post
gave the litle guy a 7 pound jack russel chiuaua mix a third of the bar for heart wrom . he seems ok , not as frisky but that goes with all medicine . his nose is a little warm and hes drowsy but keeping an eye on him is the best we can do for now. all dogs seem to get a little sick from that medicine but its better than the disease.,ok goods night
I can't understand what you typed. A third of the bar? Meaning several months at once??

Take your dog to the VET.

Old 10-12-2013, 10:26 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,866,274 times
im assuming you emea 1/3rd of the chewable...
you should NOT divied heartguard chewabled, buy the size recommended for your dogs body weight and give a WHOLE Chew as directed the ingredient that makes them work is NOT evenly distributed throughout the treat, meaning in that 1/3rd of the treat you could have had most of the medicine and the next 1/3rd my not contain ANY active ingredient at all...

Old 10-12-2013, 09:57 PM

18,735 posts, read 33,406,561 times
Amen to the above post.
My beagle basset once ate a whole box of Heartguard and the vet said that the treatment for HW is a lot of Heartguard, so it wouldn't hurt him, it would just cost me a bucket of money.

Old 06-15-2015, 05:45 AM

1 posts, read 2,430 times
My 5 month old Maltepoo, Sober ate an extra heart guard pill last night. She hasn't displayed any symptoms as of yet. In fact she was up early this morning begging for bacon. She's eating and drinking fine. Should I take my baby girl to the vet just to be sure? Is this something I should be worried about?

Old 06-15-2015, 03:15 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,765,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NurseMeMe View Post
My 5 month old Maltepoo, Sober ate an extra heart guard pill last night. She hasn't displayed any symptoms as of yet. In fact she was up early this morning begging for bacon. She's eating and drinking fine. Should I take my baby girl to the vet just to be sure? Is this something I should be worried about?
Call the vet. They should be able to tell you over the phone if she needs to come in.

Old 07-02-2015, 06:54 PM

1 posts, read 2,363 times
I gave my shi-tzu a chewable hartguard about 20 mins ago, she is twelve now. Just to find out my wife gave her one yesterday. I called the vet er and they said she should be OK. But bring her in if she gets the poops, throws up ect. She is 17.5 lbs. And these were for up to 25 lbs. Guess I won't be sleeping much tonight, I love my little girl to no end. She is definitely dad's girl and knows it. But I feel I let her down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs