Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2015, 08:35 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,382,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Er1c21850 View Post
I gave my shi-tzu a chewable hartguard about 20 mins ago, she is twelve now. Just to find out my wife gave her one yesterday. I called the vet er and they said she should be OK. But bring her in if she gets the poops, throws up ect. She is 17.5 lbs. And these were for up to 25 lbs. Guess I won't be sleeping much tonight, I love my little girl to no end. She is definitely dad's girl and knows it. But I feel I let her down.
Three years ago - when my border collie was around 5 months old - I gave him his first heart worm medication (Sentinel). After giving Izzy his med, I then got out Kaya's (my older dog) medication to give to her. Kaya weighed 50 lbs, Izzy was just a little over 20 lbs. So when I noticed that the pill in Kaya's medication was considerably smaller than the one I'd just given to Izzy, I began to worry. Checked the two Sentinel boxes to compare and, sure enough, the vet clinic had made a mistake...the Sentinel that they'd given for Izzy was for dogs weighing up to 100 lbs, far too large a dose for my puppy. In a panic I called the local vet emergency clinic (these things always seem to happen when the regular vet's is closed) and after they managed to hook me up with an on-call veterinarian, I was told that the medication is typically quite safe in large doses, and not to worry too much.

However, they did tell me the same thing that your vet ER did...to just keep an eye on him and take him in if he began to display any adverse reactions. In the end he was fine and showed no signs of any problems, despite me fearing the worst and beating myself up about it.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2015, 10:03 AM

1 posts, read 8,518 times
This is an older thread, but I was relieved to find it today. Somehow my dog got a full box of Heartworm Guard Plus (6 doses) and ate all 6 last night. I found the box and 4 empty pill casings on the floor this morning. The other 2 are no where to be found, so I assume she swallowed them in the casings. Posts from Foxywench and Sam I Am are very reassuring. I will watch for symptoms but so far all is well.

Old 08-09-2015, 10:32 AM

1,961 posts, read 2,253,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowmom View Post
This is an older thread, but I was relieved to find it today. Somehow my dog got a full box of Heartworm Guard Plus (6 doses) and ate all 6 last night. I found the box and 4 empty pill casings on the floor this morning. The other 2 are no where to be found, so I assume she swallowed them in the casings. Posts from Foxywench and Sam I Am are very reassuring. I will watch for symptoms but so far all is well.
I would still call your local ER vet. If your dog is MDR1 mutant...which you would only know if you had her tested...it could be harmful although at the quantity she consumed likely not. The MDR1 gene mutation has been found only in herding breeds however mixes with herding breed backgrounds can also be affected. At least that ER vet can give you the symptoms to be aware of.

DogAware.com Articles: MDR1 Mutation Causes Sensitivity to Multiple Drugs

Old 11-22-2016, 02:50 AM

1 posts, read 8,129 times
I'm up with my dog at 4:30 am and worried. On veterinary say-so 4 months ago I switched my dog from heartguard to sentinel heartworm prev, and he gets tested once per year, but after eating from and old bag of pup-per- roni sticks (only one), he had diarrhea all afternoon. I am aware sentinel doesn't cover tapeworm so checked the date and realized he had sentinel 21 days ago, but trying to help my dog I gave him the heartguard in case it was tapeworm causing the diarrhea, but in hindsight it may of just been a spoiled pup-per-roni treat causing an upset stomach. Anyway, ringo won't eat or drink and he is weak. If necessary I'll get him to the vet today, but this time of yr.. money is very tight, so I'm hoping he'll improve by noon, if not then off to see the vet. Any helpful suggestions?

Old 04-22-2017, 12:40 PM

2 posts, read 16,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
My beagle ate $50 worth of Heartguard and the vet said it's no problem, just expensive. He said that treatment for heartworm is megadoses of the same stuff we give as a preventative.
Then your vet either lied to you or doesn't know what he's talking about. Ivermectin is the active ingredient in Heartworm prevention, and while it kills heartworms in their larval stage, it doesn't kill adult heartworms, and can actually be harmful to dogs carrying fully developed heartworms. That's why vets always recommend getting a heartworm test before putting your dog on heartworm prevention. The medication typically used to kill adult heartworms is an injectable medication called Immiticide, and it's expensive: around $200 per injection at the clinic where I work. A quick Google search will tell you the same.

Old 04-22-2017, 12:58 PM

2 posts, read 16,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul leigh View Post
I'm up with my dog at 4:30 am and worried. On veterinary say-so 4 months ago I switched my dog from heartguard to sentinel heartworm prev, and he gets tested once per year, but after eating from and old bag of pup-per- roni sticks (only one), he had diarrhea all afternoon. I am aware sentinel doesn't cover tapeworm so checked the date and realized he had sentinel 21 days ago, but trying to help my dog I gave him the heartguard in case it was tapeworm causing the diarrhea, but in hindsight it may of just been a spoiled pup-per-roni treat causing an upset stomach. Anyway, ringo won't eat or drink and he is weak. If necessary I'll get him to the vet today, but this time of yr.. money is very tight, so I'm hoping he'll improve by noon, if not then off to see the vet. Any helpful suggestions?
You should probably take him to the vet. I can't tell you what's causing the diarrhea and lack of appetite without testing, but the first thing vets will test for when a dog is exhibiting those symptoms is intestinal parasites. If you suspect a tapeworm is the cause, Heartgard won't do anything, as it doesn't kill tapeworms, but usually a tapeworm will actually cause an increase in appetite, so that's likely not the issue.

Most likely, the vet would first do an intestinal parasite screening. Heartgard kills heartworm, roundworm, and hookworms, but won't do anything against parasites like coccidia or giardia, so other parasites are very much a possibility. But if it comes up negative, they'll usually prescribe a probiotic and, just for safe measure, a dewormer, like panacur. Generally, it shouldn't be a very expensive visit, but if it doesn't get better another visit with more aggressive testing and treatment would be necessary.

Old 08-15-2017, 01:58 PM

7 posts, read 13,053 times
Just found this thread and I am so realieved to read about dogs eating to much Heartguard. I have a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel that weights in at 12lbs that ate 2 bars of the Hearthuard. I was very worried that Annie would have some bad affects from eating to much of the Heartguard. I did call my vet and they reassured me that she would be fine and to just continue the 1 dose in 30 days! I have been watching Annie and she is showing no signs of distress of any kind. I will make sure to next time mark on the calendar so this won't happen again!��

Old 06-30-2018, 08:42 PM

1 posts, read 7,683 times
I would say you congratulations you have done great little dog and have done a great job training it as wel! I love Beagles! I hope to own one some day. I have a Basset/Beagle mix that is the most laid back, go with with flow, friendly dog I’ve ever had. She’s game to hang around the house with me or go on adventure to the local park for a walk on one of the nature trails. We’ve done Agility, K-9 Nose Work, Barn Hunt, she has been on several photo shoots as a model and she is a registered therapy dog with International Therapy Animals. We took a class and passed an evaluation. Hounds are smart dogs like a lot of dogs it just all depends on if & how well they are trained. They are wonderful, social little dogs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs