Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 02:18 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,586,673 times

Advertisements

I am glad to hear the dogs are doing fine and it sounds like there will be no harm to them. Please do not feel guilty as you are only human and as such we are prone to make mistakes. God knows you would never do anything to cause harm to your dogs so do not waste another minute beating yourself up. Forgive yourself and put it behind you as time is too important to waste dwelling on mistakes from the past. You go spend that time enjoying the wonderful dogs that you share your life with. Have a great weekend!(Dash who is laying right here by me says have a snack too! ) Dashdog
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2008, 03:06 PM

18,721 posts, read 33,380,506 times
I adopted an 8-year-old beagle from a co-worker who lost interest in him, even though he was great with the young kids. She also said she was afraid he'd hurt the kids by grabbing food. At the time, I dismissed the latter as self-serving B.S., but after living with this critter for almost two years, I reluctantly admit she was right.
The beagle was in a good no-kill for two years befor that, and was picked up as a stray around age 2. He was "strayed" in a very affluent town where you never see loose dogs, so I wondered if someone dumped him there. I don't know if he's ever been trained (he does "sit," and takes food nicely by hand- only grabs when stealing).
I usually adopt herding-type mutts, so he's sort of an outlier. No one is cuter when curled up and sleeping (curled up around me, warming feet, etc.). I hope as he ages, he'll steal less and be cute all the time. But, oh, that baying bark! He could break glass.
A friend of mine does Basset rescue and has all sorts of hounds passing through her house as fosters. I find it neat how most of us have a "type." I think it's partly an imprinting from earlier life or from a first dog good experience. (I grew up with a sort of border collie/terrier mutt, see?) but every mutt I get sort of extends my "type" to include that dog. But somehow I think Snoops is my first and last hound.

Old 11-29-2008, 08:43 PM

2,514 posts, read 4,953,937 times
Found your thread when I did a search for heartworm meds - thx!!! I have 2 labs - one a pure choc. female & the other is a former shelter dog - yellow male mixed w/?? - we think great dane. For over a year+ now I've been giving them the Heartguard Plus chewy brick-type pills. I also put the K9 Advantix on their backs between the shoulder blades, then let them nap in their crates for a few hours, & then give a quick wipe-down to make sure they don't ingest any residue from each other when playing.

About 2 weeks ago, I did the above ritual & Moose (yellow male mix) was unbelievably sick later that day. Vomiting, lethargic, wouldn't eat....had me freaked out! Called the vet @ 11pm on a Saturday night - he said give it a full 24 hours from onset & bring him in if not better, try the bland rice/burger diet, etc. Vet said he thinks it might have been the Heartguard & Advantix combo that made him sick; just a fluke that this was the 1st time he had a bad reaction. But vet said nothing was certain. Next day, no change, so I brought him in. X-rays, blood tests, the works. $575 bucks later, everything checks out negative. Vet now thinks it was "just something going around", but said to stagger the Heartguard & Advantix on different days.

So now I'm questioning the whole chemical vs. organic prevention. Would like your pros & cons on either method - thx!

Old 11-29-2008, 11:14 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,453,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by piperspal View Post
Vet now thinks it was "just something going around", but said to stagger the Heartguard & Advantix on different days.
Yes, that sounds like good advice. I do that as well so I can source any potential reactions (never had one, but just in case). Of course that's on the days when I'm not accidentally poisoning my dogs .

My husband called the vet and the vet said it's fine.....whew! That's a mistake I hope to never make again. Still no negative reactions from the dogs, they are acting completely normal. I think we were lucky .

Yes, Dash, I'll have a treat now !

Old 12-27-2008, 07:54 AM

1 posts, read 11,503 times
Default Heart worm meds

We have given our Beagle heart worm pills for 11 months. 3 days ago she quit eating and after a trip to the vet we found out she has kidney failure. I am wondering if by treating one condition the meds shot her kidneys. She is 5 yrs old and has been healthy and happy up to 3 days ago. Any experiences will be appreciated.

Old 12-27-2008, 09:51 AM

2,514 posts, read 4,953,937 times
Calitan2, I'm really sorry to hear about your beagle. Is the kidney failure a permanent thing? I know some of the dogs that got some of that bad food last year were sick with kidney & liver failures, but many still recovered.

will keep your pup in my prayers...

Old 12-27-2008, 03:17 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,007,817 times
Riveree,
Glad all is well. For light cases of heartworm like my Weim. had, you give an increased dose of heartworm pills and it's no problem at all. And that's NOTHING compared to the full-flung treatment for heartworm! If dogs can survive that, a double dose of heartworm pills is absolutely nothing!

For the others,
Some dogs have problem with Ivermectin and need to take an alternative. Collies are one breed identified as having a possible adverse reaction to ivermectin. It's not very common but most vets recommend giving collies Interceptor, rather than HeartGard, anyway. No reason to take a chance that your particular collie will be affected.

Old 12-27-2008, 05:36 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,586,673 times
Default To Calitab2

Calitan2, Does your dog eat Chicken Jerky? Some dogs have had kidney failure from eating the chicken Jerkys from China.

Old 09-19-2010, 06:48 PM

2 posts, read 33,823 times
dog ate his heartworm pill up to 11kg and he is 16 lbs then ate other dogs pill right after for 23kg -45kg

Old 06-11-2011, 06:07 PM

1 posts, read 9,636 times
Default overdose

What did your vet say? I have part dotson-dashound who just did the same thing.....the ****sapoo (snitsipoo) spit hers out and the other dog swallowed it whole before I could get it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
Thanks everyone for responding.

It is Heartguard, the chewable little bars. They still seem to be perfectly fine and we're going to double-check with the vet tomorrow (of course, this happened after my vet was closed for the holiday and I didn't want to make an emergency call to him if it wasn't truly an emergency).

I'm thinking as you are, Brightdoglover, that a one-time event like this should be pretty harmless and these are not delicate dogs.

I'll let everyone know what my vet says after my husband talks to him tomorrow.

They are looking and acting 100% fine, so I'm crossing my fingers that there is no damage done.

Ugh, the guilt I'm feeling !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs