Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 07:23 AM

2 posts, read 33,827 times

Advertisements

My vet said the dog would have to eat a lot!
Also you can force vomit by mixing peroxide and h20. Was afraid and did that hope I never have to again. Hard to watch a forced sickness. My dog was fine anyways. We feed pills in seperate rooms now to be extra safe!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2011, 07:31 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,874,874 times
od-ing on heartguard is incredibly difficult, youd probbaly have to feed your dog the chew sized for the largest breed every day to od a dog on heartguard because the content of ivermectin in each chew is SOOOOO tiny.

its frequently used in MUCH higher doses (10-20 times the dosage in the chewables) as a dewormer, to treat mange and even earmites...
so i wouldnt worry too much and make sure you makr it on the calender to avoid worry in the future

Old 07-22-2012, 05:24 PM

1 posts, read 23,305 times
I just read your info because I just did the same thing. I gave my dogs the Heartguard bar yesterday and did not tell my husband and he gave it to them again today. I have 3 dachshunds. Were your dogs OK?

Old 07-22-2012, 06:39 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,281,544 times
EKW, see the post from foxywench above - this thread started several years ago and the most recent post was one year ago - foxy's information is always very good, so I wouldn't worry - but I WOULD note the date for administering on the calendar and cross it off when it's done in the future to keep mistakes from happening (as foxy suggested!).

Your pups should be fine, but check with your vet in the morning if you're still nervous. We aren't vets here and can't give real medical advice.

Old 07-23-2012, 03:16 AM

18,735 posts, read 33,424,279 times
Once my beagle/basset food nut ate a whole box of Heartguard. Of course I called the vet, and he said it wouldn't hurt anything except my wallet!- that the treatment for heartwork infestation is actually high doses of Heartguard. The dogs should be fine. Of course my hound was- he'd eaten far worse many times. (Was it a dozen chocolate truffles? How about the chicken bones?) RIP, Snoops, who survived his food craze and had a heart attack in kennel.

Old 07-27-2012, 07:13 PM

40 posts, read 133,455 times
I always write the date given on the package right when administered. That way I can go back as many times as needed to check if given and it is in marker and very visible. I do the same for flea meds.

Old 08-06-2012, 08:19 PM

1 posts, read 23,255 times
My chihuahua just ingested her heartworm pill then rushed and accidentally took another one that was suppose to go to her sister. Is that bad for her that she took two in one setting? I feel so bad for not stopping her but she is my hyper baby and always needs an eye on her. Please help??? Going nuts with guilt.

Old 08-06-2012, 08:36 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,874,874 times
once again, it is incredibly difficult for a dog to overdose on heartworm protection...

the dosage in heartworm pills is 1/10th of the SAFE dosage used as a general dewormer, and its used in MUCH higher doses than that, to treat mites and such, so no, i wouldnt worry too much...

the ONLY time its a problem is if you have a dog sensitive to the ingredient (ie collies and ivermectin) but generlaly a reaction woudl be imediate in thsoe cases.

Old 03-26-2013, 08:00 PM

1 posts, read 23,014 times
Ok, so my 17 pound terrier ate a box of 12 heartgard chewables today. Sooooo, is she good on her wormers for the next year?

Old 03-27-2013, 02:39 AM

18,735 posts, read 33,424,279 times
Nope. She'll just have expensive poop for a few days!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs