Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2024, 01:51 PM

1,134 posts, read 2,239,606 times

Advertisements

I live in South FL and will be replacing my back entry door which has a doggy door installed. I have 3 dogs and would like them to be able to enjoy the yard as they do now so want to install a doggy door for them but I'd like it to be more solid than the one that we have now. I researched and found several manufacturers that offer extreme weather doors but like with anything else I feel it's best to hear from people who have experience with the product.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2024, 02:05 PM

23,326 posts, read 18,890,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion2 View Post
I live in South FL and will be replacing my back entry door which has a doggy door installed. I have 3 dogs and would like them to be able to enjoy the yard as they do now so want to install a doggy door for them but I'd like it to be more solid than the one that we have now. I researched and found several manufacturers that offer extreme weather doors but like with anything else I feel it's best to hear from people who have experience with the product.
Not sure what "extreme weather" actually means. Describe what those features are so posters can respond more meaningfully if they have direct experience with them.

Does "extreme weather" mean insulation? Rigid versus more flexible door flaps? Better edge gaskets? More magnets to hold the flap against wind? Door edges that overlap more of the frame to reduce drafts? A door that automatically latches itself while closed requiring the dog to wear a transmitter on its collar in order to release it? A door assembly that includes an inner and an outer door flap?

Old 04-01-2024, 08:32 PM

2,333 posts, read 2,002,632 times
Hot or cold, the best solution is two doors, not one. An exterior door, a vestibule, and an interior door.

Old 04-02-2024, 07:59 AM

1,929 posts, read 917,935 times
I've had my PetSafe doggy door in my sliding glass door for 15 years with no problems.

Old 04-02-2024, 09:10 AM

4,858 posts, read 3,289,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevergirl67 View Post
I've had my PetSafe doggy door in my sliding glass door for 15 years with no problems.

We've used the PetSafe doors in three houses. Every couple years I replace the flap because it stiffens up and doesn't catch properly.

Old 04-02-2024, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
We've used the PetSafe doors in three houses. Every couple years I replace the flap because it stiffens up and doesn't catch properly.

Yes, I've replaced it once when we had a bad windstorm and the curtains inside got caught in it when the flap was blown open, and as the dogs next went out, it ripped the bottom corner of the plastic.

I've since moved the curtain holders farther out from the sides and it fixed that problem from happening again.

Old 04-02-2024, 11:56 AM

19,801 posts, read 22,695,361 times
I've got a double plastic with magnets on the mandoor in our attached garage. It's cat sized for our 2 cats. I've had for maybe 5-6 years now? It's held up fine in Montana. Extreme cold, 100deg heat, snow- just fine. I have another one that I'll install on my detached shop mandoor.

Old 04-15-2024, 01:38 PM

1,134 posts, read 2,239,606 times
Thanks, I will check PetSafe. The doors should be installed within the next month and I'd like to have the doggy door installed the same day the new entry doors are installed. Cold is never an issue here, we get frost once in a while but never sustained cold weather. It does get hot but the door it will be installed on does not get direct sun, it opens to the lanai which is shaded and faces North. My biggest concern is hurricanes, Nor'easters and other wind storms. We haven't had a hurricane in several years but we do have gusty wind with other storms and with two large trees in the yard and debris could come through the lanai.

Old 04-15-2024, 03:32 PM

23,326 posts, read 18,890,074 times
Quote:
Thanks, I will check PetSafe. The doors should be installed within the next month and I'd like to have the doggy door installed the same day the new entry doors are installed. Cold is never an issue here, we get frost once in a while but never sustained cold weather. It does get hot but the door it will be installed on does not get direct sun, it opens to the lanai which is shaded and faces North. My biggest concern is hurricanes, Nor'easters and other wind storms. We haven't had a hurricane in several years but we do have gusty wind with other storms and with two large trees in the yard and debris could come through the lanai.
Many (all?) pet door kits seem to include a rigid or lockable panel you can slide over the functional door temporarily for added security. Check for that feature.

Old 04-16-2024, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Thanks, I will check PetSafe...My biggest concern is hurricanes, Nor'easters and other wind storms.

The PetSafe doggy doors come with a hard plastic door that slides in place, keeping the dogs in or out as you choose. During bad weather, I shut them in, in case of loud thunder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs