Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2018, 05:05 PM

263 posts, read 437,807 times

Advertisements

My small (largest is 16lbs) dogs have been accustomed to using a doggy-door built-into their house for the past several years, but we're soon be moving to a house that doesn't have a built-in doggy-door, and it
is likely my only option will be to buy one of those doggy-doors that attaches to the sliding glass doorwall leading from the kitchen to the back yard.

I'm looking for suggestions and 'lessons-learned' type advice on which model/features to look for, what to stay-away from, any installation hints, etc.

We're in the Las Vegas area, so Summer heat will be 110+ (so flap, etc. should be a light color, to minimize heat absorption). Some of the dogs are getting elderly, so ideally the flap will be easy to push open, yet also be secure enough to not open via breeze, etc.

Due to the Summer heat, I don't want one of those systems where the dogs 'unlock' the door via special collar because if the collar somehow comes off, locking mechanism gets fouled, etc. while the dogs are outside, they're dead. In-terms of security against human invaders, there will be plenty of other home entry methods they'd try besides the doggy door, so while I'm looking for something well-made & pretty solid, I'm not expecting it to be resistant to humans.

I'd like to get one SOON. I will go look at Petsmart, Petco, Lowe's, Builder's Square, non-chain pet stores, and perhaps also shop on-line (Amazon) but would love to get any advance intel from people who have good or bad experience with the sliding-glass doorwall doggy door attachments.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2018, 05:10 PM

1,201 posts, read 803,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoggieMatic View Post
My small (largest is 16lbs) dogs have been accustomed to using a doggy-door built-into their house for the past several years, but we're soon be moving to a house that doesn't have a built-in doggy-door, and it
is likely my only option will be to buy one of those doggy-doors that attaches to the sliding glass doorwall leading from the kitchen to the back yard.

I'm looking for suggestions and 'lessons-learned' type advice on which model/features to look for, what to stay-away from, any installation hints, etc.

We're in the Las Vegas area, so Summer heat will be 110+ (so flap, etc. should be a light color, to minimize heat absorption). Some of the dogs are getting elderly, so ideally the flap will be easy to push open, yet also be secure enough to not open via breeze, etc.

Due to the Summer heat, I don't want one of those systems where the dogs 'unlock' the door via special collar because if the collar somehow comes off, locking mechanism gets fouled, etc. while the dogs are outside, they're dead. In-terms of security against human invaders, there will be plenty of other home entry methods they'd try besides the doggy door, so while I'm looking for something well-made & pretty solid, I'm not expecting it to be resistant to humans.

I'd like to get one SOON. I will go look at Petsmart, Petco, Lowe's, Builder's Square, non-chain pet stores, and perhaps also shop on-line (Amazon) but would love to get any advance intel from people who have good or bad experience with the sliding-glass doorwall doggy door attachments.

Thanks!
Dog doors are the devil! My advice? Don’t get a doggy door.
Death’s Door – reasons to ditch the dog door and keep your dogs inside – Recycled Pets NorCal

Old 03-16-2018, 05:28 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,420,754 times
I've had doggie doors for 45+ years. When I owned a home that had large windows facing the back yard, I had the glass in one of them removed and replaced with plexiglass. Then I had a doggie door installed in it. When I sold the house, I put the glass back in the window.

My favorite doggie door is the soft rubber kind because it's easier for older dogs to use. However, I always had trouble with tree roaches (aka waterbugs) getting in through the rubber door because the rubber doors never seemed to close as tightly as the hard plastic doors do.

My sister wanted a doggie door but all her exterior doors were steel and she had no low-hanging windows to use. She was also concerned that someone might use the doggie door to enter her house and burglarize it. So I suggested that she install a doggie door in one of the walls bordering the back yard and then attach a large doghouse to the house where the doggie door was. That way no one could see the doggie door and, if someone saw the dog in the yard enter and exit the doggie door, it would just look like the dog was going into or out of the doghouse. It worked great.

Old 03-17-2018, 09:07 AM

1,758 posts, read 5,491,409 times
We have purchased a few different doors from https://www.halepetdoor.com/products over the years. I can't say enough good things about their products AND their customer service!

One door was installed in a slider glass door. It was removed, once that dog was no longer with us.

Our current door is a "regular" door installed in block. The cats use it to go outside into their enclosure.

I also live in a very hot climate.
During the summer when it is really hot, we use the cat door for a portable a/c hose. We cool the room where the cat door is located, and the hot air goes out the cat door.

The cats aren't allowed out at night, or when we aren't home. And since they don't go out, when the temperature sky rockets ... we don't need the cat door during the summer.

Problem was... we cut the locking door to fit the a/c hose, and no longer had a locking door for cooler times. We needed another locking door!

I ordered what I thought was the correct door. It wasn't. I contacted the company, I didn't know my model number of doggie door, and other info. I wouldn't have wanted to deal with me, as a customer!
Their customer service person was SO friendly and SO helpful. She went above and beyond for a door, that I believe, was less than 5 bucks!

I have never had an issue with their doors or door parts.

IF they have what you need, I would NOT hesitate to buy from them!!

Old 03-17-2018, 02:06 PM

23,265 posts, read 18,777,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OttoR View Post
This seems a bit overblown unless an owner is clueless enough to use a dog door that doesn't open to an enclosed yard. I've installed dog doors in all my homes, but always to fenced areas.

Old 03-17-2018, 02:11 PM

1,201 posts, read 803,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonHB View Post
This seems a bit overblown unless an owner is clueless enough to use a dog door that doesn't open to an enclosed yard. I've installed dog doors in all my homes, but always to a fenced yard.
Apparently you didn’t read the article very well. My Nextdoor is primarily lost and found dogs because there are so many irresponsible dog owners here. Quite a few involve lost dogs that have a dog door out to a fenced yard. Note how many of these attacks involved a fenced back yard and/or a dog door! Safety Before Pit Bulldogs: Extreme Attacks: List of Invasion Attacks by Pit Bulls

Old 03-17-2018, 03:30 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,929,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoggieMatic View Post
we're soon be moving to a house that doesn't have a built-in doggy-door...
I'm looking for suggestions
Hire a carpenter to modify what you have to accommodate the standard doggie doors you know.

Old 03-17-2018, 03:49 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,748,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OttoR View Post
She didn't ask for your opinion of using a doggy door or not, just opinions from people who used ones for sliding glass door attachments. , she wants ideas as to what kind she can use and how they work.

I would never use one, but I wouldn't tell others not to use them.

Old 03-18-2018, 05:09 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,538,543 times
While doggy doors are convenient, they don't teach a dog proper house training IMO.

We once adopted a small 6 month old dog who was supposedly "house trained" according to the ad. She was FAR from being house trained. She and the other dogs in the house just went in and out as they pleased and was never taught how to ask to go outside.

When we got her, we didn't have a doggie door and she was clueless how to ask to go outside. We had to start from scratch for toilet training her and it wasn't easy. We used a crate and I tethered her to me for months before she understood. Yes, it was a struggle and frustrating, but after she finally figured it out, she never had another accident in the house.

My suggestion for doggy doors: house train them first, then allow them to use a doggy door on occasion but not all day, every day. By using ONLY a dog door, if you take your dogs visiting to a friend's house etc, they won't have a clue and chances are, you'll be cleaning up a mess. Show them the door, clip them on a leash and take them outside after you first arrive. Then at least they will know to go to the door or cry at you to ask out.

Old 03-18-2018, 06:07 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,929,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
While doggy doors are convenient, they don't teach a dog proper house training IMO.
They aren't meant to.
Were you told otherwise?

Quote:
...house train them first, then allow them to use a doggy door
Again... Were you told otherwise?
---

The tricky part is putting the doggy door near the door you'll use for the house training.
(which I think was the conflict the OP has written about)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs