Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 05:15 PM

269 posts, read 1,267,354 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for an electronic doggy door (preferably the kind that goes with a sliding door, but I'll take anything) which has timer options on it. I want to be able to keep the door open for a few minutes every couple of hours so that my dog can go outside. Anyone seen a product like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2011, 08:21 PM

1,272 posts, read 2,373,074 times
I've seen electronic doors that allow entry only, exit only and automatic (whenever dog/cat nears door) it's unlocked. But none with a specified timer.
Think the only way that could work is to put the door power on a timer but that's a bit rigged up.

Also all the doors I've seen for patio doors are manual but again assume you could fix up an electronic one to meet your needs there.

Good luck finding one.

Old 04-02-2011, 11:45 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,029,371 times
It's interesting that you would ask this because when I was looking into doggie doors -- I didn't get one -- I was also hoping to find something like that. I searched and searched my heart out, but no luck. I wanted my husband to invent it but, as it turns out, someone has already patented it -- just hasn't done anything about it yet.

Old 04-04-2011, 08:49 AM

269 posts, read 1,267,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
It's interesting that you would ask this because when I was looking into doggie doors -- I didn't get one -- I was also hoping to find something like that. I searched and searched my heart out, but no luck. I wanted my husband to invent it but, as it turns out, someone has already patented it -- just hasn't done anything about it yet.
Yep, the patent came up on my google search as well. Now, if only someone used that patent to make a commercially available door!

Old 04-04-2011, 09:02 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,029,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kryptos View Post
Yep, the patent came up on my google search as well. Now, if only someone used that patent to make a commercially available door!
I wonder how long a patent can "sit" for until someone else can say, "Oh, I'm sick of waiting! I'll make it!"

Hmmm.

Old 04-04-2011, 11:38 AM

1,257 posts, read 4,575,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kryptos View Post
I'm looking for an electronic doggy door (preferably the kind that goes with a sliding door, but I'll take anything) which has timer options on it. I want to be able to keep the door open for a few minutes every couple of hours so that my dog can go outside. Anyone seen a product like this?
Don't you worry that you lock your dog outside when the timer reaches its set time? Or your dog has to wear a collar that overrides the timer. Then why timer? This may be why it is not produced.

Old 04-04-2011, 01:25 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,450,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LingLing View Post
Don't you worry that you lock your dog outside when the timer reaches its set time? Or your dog has to wear a collar that overrides the timer. Then why timer? This may be why it is not produced.
I was thinking the same thing. The purpose of the doggy dog is to give the dog access to both the house and the outside. If I want to prevent my dogs from either coming inside the house, or going outside if they are already inside the house, I insert a metal plate in the doggy door. What would be the purpose of a timer? Sounds like an accident waiting to happen to me. If the dog can only go out and do their business for a couple minutes on the quarter hour, for example, and misses their scheduled allotted time, they will either be trapped inside or outside the home. I would think that neither is desirable. A very bad idea indeed.

However, I like the idea of an automatic doggy door triggered by the dog's collar, but now we're talking about a far more complicated setup involving rewiring and maybe even hydraulics when talking about the larger doggy doors, which is a lot more than merely inserting a doggy door.

Old 04-04-2011, 02:31 PM

972 posts, read 2,444,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
However, I like the idea of an automatic doggy door triggered by the dog's collar, but now we're talking about a far more complicated setup involving rewiring and maybe even hydraulics when talking about the larger doggy doors, which is a lot more than merely inserting a doggy door.
When we put in our in ground fence system, I talked with several companies. They all offered dog doors that worked off the collar. It was a few hundred with installation in addition to the rest of the system.

We didn't need one because our dog has figured out how to open the exterior doors on her own.

Old 04-04-2011, 04:07 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,450,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msm_teacher View Post
When we put in our in ground fence system, I talked with several companies. They all offered dog doors that worked off the collar. It was a few hundred with installation in addition to the rest of the system.

We didn't need one because our dog has figured out how to open the exterior doors on her own.
I am not overly concerned about someone trying to enter my home via the doggy dog since I do not live in a town or city, but it would be handy to keep other critters (besides my dogs) from entering my home in this manner.

Every winter I seem to have a problem with shrews, voles, and mice. I have checked every inch of my exterior and cannot find out where they are coming into the house. I have suspected for a long time that they are coming through the doggy door.

Old 04-05-2011, 06:11 PM

99 posts, read 531,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Every winter I seem to have a problem with shrews, voles, and mice. I have checked every inch of my exterior and cannot find out where they are coming into the house.
Me too, but I don't have a doggy door. They just get in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs