Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 11:50 PM

172 posts, read 298,488 times

Advertisements

Need to get a doggy door installed...any recommendations for North Phoenix?

Old 10-13-2008, 01:24 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,060,189 times
I actually went to buy one on Saturday, at Petsmart, cause they have new ones that can go into the wall, if yu dont have a door. They have the other kind too that fit into the sliding glass doors, as does Home depot and Lowes. But, when I was about to buy it and put it in myself, cause it seems pretty easy, the sales guy came over and told me not to do it. He said most dogs sleep all day and can hold it and don't need a door. He said alot of other things can come in the house with a dd, and you are taking a chance. I could not believe he was talking me out of it, but he did. But in case you still want it, ask at Petsmart for a referral. They usually have some people to recommend.

Old 10-13-2008, 01:43 PM

1,590 posts, read 4,625,316 times
i have one of the ones that goes in the sliding glass door. I put it in the morning and take it out when i go to bed. Its really easy to do. My dog likes to go in and out all day. she is a German shepherd who needs to "patrol" "her" territory to be happy

Old 10-13-2008, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
I actually went to buy one on Saturday, at Petsmart, cause they have new ones that can go into the wall, if yu dont have a door. They have the other kind too that fit into the sliding glass doors, as does Home depot and Lowes. But, when I was about to buy it and put it in myself, cause it seems pretty easy, the sales guy came over and told me not to do it. He said most dogs sleep all day and can hold it and don't need a door. He said alot of other things can come in the house with a dd, and you are taking a chance. I could not believe he was talking me out of it, but he did. But in case you still want it, ask at Petsmart for a referral. They usually have some people to recommend.
Thanks PhxBarb...I thought the same tho the wife's dog is getting up in years and does not seem to be able to hold it at 3 and 4 AM.

We have a small dog and thought if we build a enclosed run we can reduce the chances of other "critters" visiting

Old 10-13-2008, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61scout80 View Post
i have one of the ones that goes in the sliding glass door. I put it in the morning and take it out when i go to bed. Its really easy to do. My dog likes to go in and out all day. she is a German shepherd who needs to "patrol" "her" territory to be happy
Thanks for your reply...great idea if I had sliding glass doors.

Old 10-13-2008, 11:58 PM

1,216 posts, read 3,029,246 times
We had the kind that went into the arcadia door and it worked fine for the dogs and cats going in and out. The only thing I didn't like was the seal around it was not great. Hot air was getting into the house. Also if we wanted to bring something through the door we had to take the dog door out first. Now we have the one that goes through the wall with a double flap. It is great and no hot air coming through! The dogs and cats needed a couple of days of retraining to get used to it and now everything is fine. We bought ours at Home Depot because we found it less expensive and a nicer door than what Petsmart had.

I want to point out that if you need to go through an outside wall like ours, be aware of what your house is made of. We had to go through block and also be aware that the tunnel that comes with the door kit may not be thick enough for the inside of the opening in the wall. We just used some wood and "framed" it ourselves. Actually we had a friend install the whole thing for us (and I would give you his name but unfortunately he is moving to Tacoma next week). You can buy an extended tunnel with certain brands of doors but we found it was cheaper to use the wood.

Lastly I wanted to say that our door leads to our backyard and both our dogs and cats never go out of the yard, so as far as other critters getting in the door (stray pets, squirrels, insects, etc.), we have never had anything else come through except an occasional bird or gecko that the pets bring in themselves to give us a present.

Old 10-14-2008, 07:09 AM

39,077 posts, read 51,224,761 times
When I was in Ahwatukee I had a door and the stray cats came in at night and ate all my cat food. I guess my cat was a party animal with a lot of friends. Nothing else every came in that I know of, though I s'pose it would have been pretty easy for scorpions, crickets and such to come around the gaps or when the flap got stuck. The other negative to the door was that the dog would go in the pool and come in soaking wet. I don't have a dog door now as my latest feline is indoor only. I have two dogs as well and miss the convenience of a dog door.

As for installers, I realize some like to hire everything, but these patio dog doors are pretty much a DIY if you own a drill. Otherwise, try to find a handyman in your area.

Old 11-22-2008, 11:45 PM

1 posts, read 7,066 times
Talking german shepard

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61scout80 View Post

Hi I have a german shepard as well and i am trying to find a slider doggie door that will work for her size...what size do i need? if you could let me know that would be great!!!

Old 11-23-2008, 09:34 AM

683 posts, read 2,651,261 times
Here's the kind I got, it's one of the best. We had it installed in the wall.

Hale Petdoor Home Page

Not much chance of other critters getting in and there's a door that slides into place when it's not going to be used.

The company usually sends a representative to the home shows and they offer some good deals.

Old 11-24-2008, 07:43 AM

1,590 posts, read 4,625,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTCgirl03 View Post
Hi I have a german shepard as well and i am trying to find a slider doggie door that will work for her size...what size do i need? if you could let me know that would be great!!!

i got the large sized one from Lowe's. they had them in stock, and i think it was $150.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: