Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2024, 09:53 AM

8,048 posts, read 12,761,708 times

Advertisements

My dog Hairyit has had an occasional limp/favoring her left rear leg. When I am observing her outside playing with my other dog Walter she doesn't seem to have any problems running and wrestling. She will go on walks with me without any noticeable limp. In the house sometimes she will jump down from the bed and limp a little bit.

I have a vet appointment but want to prepare myself for the diagnosis. Is this something your dogs have experienced? Any idea what it could be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2024, 11:39 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
Glad you have a vet appt. Might be minor since its once in a while.

You or any humans or creatures around limping LOL

https://www.city-data.com/forum/dogs...-find-out.html

Old 03-20-2024, 11:58 AM

3,373 posts, read 1,962,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Glad you have a vet appt. Might be minor since its once in a while.

You or any humans or creatures around limping LOL

https://www.city-data.com/forum/dogs...-find-out.html
Too funny! Great link

Last edited by rfomd129; 03-20-2024 at 12:09 PM..

Old 03-20-2024, 12:13 PM

Only a vet can give you a diagnosis and I'm not by any means trying to diagnose your pup's problem. I can't help but think of luxating patella which is a very common condition in many different breeds. I'm only mentioning this to you so you don't feel you need to brace yourself for an awful diagnosis. There are so many things that could be causing a limp that comes and goes so please don't focus on something terrible being the cause when there are so many benign problems that could be causing it.

We have had several dogs over the years who have had it and there was no surgery or any other type of treatment that was needed. Our dogs just naturally adjusted to it and it just popped back into place - probably without them even noticing it.

Good luck at the vet's!

Old 03-20-2024, 12:26 PM

1,847 posts, read 867,463 times
How old is she? My old girl recently has started having trouble jumping on the bed, but she can run through the yard after a squirrel just fine. I'm guessing arthritis.

Old 03-20-2024, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevergirl67 View Post
How old is she? My old girl recently has started having trouble jumping on the bed, but she can run through the yard after a squirrel just fine. I'm guessing arthritis.
She is four years old. She's a Feist/black curr mix. This is a picture of her on the day she arrived.

Old 03-20-2024, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfomd129 View Post
Only a vet can give you a diagnosis and I'm not by any means trying to diagnose your pup's problem. I can't help but think of luxating patella which is a very common condition in many different breeds. I'm only mentioning this to you so you don't feel you need to brace yourself for an awful diagnosis. There are so many things that could be causing a limp that comes and goes so please don't focus on something terrible being the cause when there are so many benign problems that could be causing it.

We have had several dogs over the years who have had it and there was no surgery or any other type of treatment that was needed. Our dogs just naturally adjusted to it and it just popped back into place - probably without them even noticing it.

Good luck at the vet's!
Thanks for the possible cause. I will pay anything to have her feel better (don't tell the vet that though...)
I am hoping it is something minor but want to be prepared for when I talk to the Vet.

Old 03-20-2024, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
Thanks for the possible cause. I will pay anything to have her feel better (don't tell the vet that though...)
I am hoping it is something minor but want to be prepared for when I talk to the Vet.
I totally understand. She''s a beauty!

Old 03-20-2024, 02:49 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Could also be recurring soft tissue inflammation (ie tendonitis) due to some congenital less-than-perfect joint alignment, some sort of dysplasia. Your description of symptoms was much too vague to guess! The vet can rule out a few things using xrays, maybe ultrasound, plus hands on exam. Some focused pre-exercise stretching, PT, NSAIDS, and icing could relieve inflammation.

Last edited by Parnassia; 03-20-2024 at 03:13 PM..

Old 03-20-2024, 05:07 PM

5,581 posts, read 2,304,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
...In the house sometimes she will jump down from the bed and limp a little bit....
Perhaps get a doggie ramp so she can walk down the ramp rather than jump off the bed. Something like this
https://www.amazon.com/Topmart-Densi...A1NI7JR4N7GERK

Last edited by Variable; 03-20-2024 at 06:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs