Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2007, 04:40 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,731,857 times

Advertisements

My dog has a habit of coming home from a walk doing the Bichon Blitz, running off and on the 2 couches in the den, flying like a madman. Grabbing his toys and running off to jump on the couch to the loveseat and off of the sides of the couch.

He we for a 45 minute walk with me, too.

Today he was limping. I tried 'palpating' his 'limping' leg trying to elicit some reproducible pain response as I would in a human when I exam that species. I even 'played with the tendons' and the extremities are moving fine. I even felt the contour of his paws, forearm, humerus equivalent and shoulders. There isn't a step off or anything.

Now, tomorrow is Thanksgiving and there probably won't be a clinic open. I don't think this is an emergency (life threatening disease process) but I need him seen soon.

Can he still have a broken limb? Even if he isn't withdrawing or yelping when I push or gently squeeze it? I am so tempted to put him in the x-ray suite at my hospital to check for broken bones. I might do it tomorrow morning....

HELP! Snowy needs it.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2007, 05:42 PM

3,099 posts, read 2,644,217 times
im sure he is fine! calm down and take a breath.
im not saying he isnt limping for a reason but since he isnt in any distress and is moving around then i would wait for it to pass since it probably will. i think i have heard of dogs sometimes limping (faking it somehow? for what reason i do not know) with no known physical cause. my main point is do not worry so much and wait a few days.

Old 11-21-2007, 05:53 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,227,984 times
Check his foot pads & in between his toes. He may have stepped on something, gotten a small cut, etc.

It is not uncommon for a dog, just like a person to get a slight muscle pluu or other "owie" that will be just fine by morning.

Old 11-21-2007, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evey View Post
Check his foot pads & in between his toes. He may have stepped on something, gotten a small cut, etc.

It is not uncommon for a dog, just like a person to get a slight muscle pluu or other "owie" that will be just fine by morning.
I will look at his foot pad and between the toes. maybe he stepped on something.

Old 11-21-2007, 08:03 PM

251 posts, read 1,312,359 times
Bichons often have a knee cap that slips. It wouldn't hurt to check out his foot but it is probably his knee. Often, if you stand the dog on his hind legs.....you know....holding his front paws for balance, it slips back in place. Alot of dogs live perfectly normal lives with this but more serious cases require surgery. I would call your vet cause either way they need to see it, but if he doesn't seem to be in serious pain and its not swelling up, then you could probably wait till Friday to call.

Old 11-21-2007, 08:09 PM

251 posts, read 1,312,359 times
Whoops! Sorry, I read your post quick and didn't see that it was a front leg! Same thing stands....sometimes they can even throw their elbows out of whack.....if it is broken and you pushed on it, you would know! Keep him quiet and keep an eye on it but if it is not bothering him all that much then you could probably wait till Friday to call.

Old 11-21-2007, 10:16 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,448,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniummd View Post
Today he was limping. I tried 'palpating' his 'limping' leg trying to elicit some reproducible pain response as I would in a human when I exam that species. I even 'played with the tendons' and the extremities are moving fine. I even felt the contour of his paws, forearm, humerus equivalent and shoulders. There isn't a step off or anything.
Awesome - you're probably doing just about everything your vet could do !

Sounds like Snowy overdid it. It happens. Unless there is an obvious break, your vet would most likely want you to wait a week or so to see if the limping stops.

When we had a leg problem a few years back, we went through the x-rays and exams and still had to wait to see if it cleared up on its' own. It did not clear up - it was a very bad cruciated tendon that needed surgery. One key for us was that our dog would not put any weight on the leg at all - it was tucked up under her at all times.

Old 11-22-2007, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
Awesome - you're probably doing just about everything your vet could do !

Sounds like Snowy overdid it. It happens. Unless there is an obvious break, your vet would most likely want you to wait a week or so to see if the limping stops.

When we had a leg problem a few years back, we went through the x-rays and exams and still had to wait to see if it cleared up on its' own. It did not clear up - it was a very bad cruciated tendon that needed surgery. One key for us was that our dog would not put any weight on the leg at all - it was tucked up under her at all times.
There is no 'tuck' he will walk on it but the gait is altered. I see his right scapula more prominently as he is walking.

I have him run and his gait looks normal. It is puzzling.

Old 11-22-2007, 08:53 AM

8,200 posts, read 35,448,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniummd View Post
There is no 'tuck' he will walk on it but the gait is altered. I see his right scapula more prominently as he is walking.

I have him run and his gait looks normal. It is puzzling.
I'd just have him take it easy - maybe there's some swelling? You could wait a day or two and take him to the vet if it's not better. They'll probably take an x-ray. If he's putting any weight on it, that's a good sign.

Old 11-22-2007, 10:35 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,521,263 times
I would not have him run until his limp is gone. Sounds like a minor injury since he does walk on it and will run, but it also needs to be rested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs