Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2024, 07:54 AM

7,321 posts, read 4,115,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
It's been my experience that ACL tears do not heal. They only get worse.
My dog's experience too. No amount of rest helped whereas ACL surgery was easy-peasy with a quick recovery period.

ACL surgery is a no-brainer for a young dog!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2024, 10:57 AM

5,009 posts, read 10,684,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Black and Tan? Beautiful dog!

My older GSP male is pretty lame now. Just went to the vet yesterday and he's on some meds to clear up a little trace blood in his urine and then he'll get Cosequin and another anti-inflammatory. He's also going to go from his working weight of 90lbs to 80lbs.

He's retired from field hunting and on house ball fetch duty. One thing about working dogs in the field they can wear down a bit faster.
I started to use Dog MX for large breeds from Petsmart when my GSD was diagnosed with arthritis (he actually growled at the vet when she touched one of his elbows ). It has much higher doses of Glucosamine, Chondroitin and MSM than brands like Cosequin. And I know from experience that with theses types of supplements larger animals need a lot for them to do any good. I saw a marked difference in my dog after only a couple of days after I introduced it into his diet (and, no, I am not a spokesman for Dog MX ).

Old 04-12-2024, 02:14 PM

8,051 posts, read 12,761,708 times
Just a follow-up for everyone kind enough to reply to my O.P.

Hairyit rested for two weeks and is on "light duty" for the rest of this month. The Vet told me to confine her in her crate but that didn't work so what I did was only take her outside to use the facilities and kept her 2 y/o buddy from playing with her.

She hasn't limped in the past week but I am still keeping her activities on "light duty" status. The Vet told me he thinks she is recovering but eventually, I will have to let her do her thing to determine if it is healed or not. He did tell me that the surgery option would be 700 dollars if needed. He is a "country" Vet and has been doing these surgeries for 32 years. He told me he has only had 4 failures and three of them were because the owners did not let the animals recover enough.

Hope I don't need the surgery.

Old 04-12-2024, 07:33 PM

5,009 posts, read 10,684,206 times
Thanks for the update, Wartrace. Err on the side of caution and do exactly as the vet says. Hopefully, if Hairyit is kept on light duty for the next month, she won’t need the surgery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs