Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2015, 09:59 PM

1 posts, read 902 times

Advertisements

My puppy is only 10 months old, a pit bull.
I left today to get breakfast and when I came back I've noticed he started
Limping, he wouldn't step on it, he doesn't have any energy and just sleeping
All day, then later he was lying with me in bed and he peed himself. I have no idea
What's wrong with him, he doesn't seem like he is in pain. I already got an appointment
with the vet on Sunday be I can't afford an emergency room.

Please help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2015, 10:09 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,310,687 times
Nothing we can do. The vet is your best bet. Good Luck!!

Old 09-11-2015, 10:21 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,278,745 times
He may have torn his ACL while you were gone. This is common for medium to large dogs. It also happens to small ones but the damage is less severe and possibly able to heal on its own with weeks of rest.

Try this: while he is on his side, and his bad leg facing you, try GENTLY stretch his leg a little bit. Not all the way. Watch the knee bones. If it moves oddly in comparison to the good knee, he might have torn his ligament. If he cries, stop immediately. Don't do this if you are not confident that you know how to stretch his leg.

It is extremely painful. Depending on the damage, some vets recommend conservative treatment which are pain meds and 2 weeks of rest. However, most vets will recommend surgery. Yes, surgery. If the ligament is completely torn, they have to put plates in there. I highly recommend doing the surgery if your vet makes that suggestion. The reason is the weight of your dog. The ligament cannot heal properly and fast enough due to his weight. Until he is fixed, his other knee bears all the weight, which will quickly cause that one to pop as well. The faster the surgery is done, the less risk for other knee to pop.

Now brace yourself... it is very expensive surgery. The average runs about $2700.00. I paid $2600.00. Some areas can charge up to $3500.00. Most of the money goes to a board certified orthopaedic surgeon, not your vet. Only a surgeon is allowed to perform this surgery. That means, you might not an appointment with him right away. We had to wait a month for our surgery.

I'm hoping I'm wrong but it really sounds like it. Do not go to the emergency room for ACL injuries. They can't do anything other than pain meds and x rays and charge you insane amounts of $ (I paid $1200.00 when we rushed our dog to the emergency hospital). Go to an emergency hospital if his gums goes pale, throws up, lack of appetite, etc.

Fyi, many pet insurance companies do not cover ACL injuries because it is so common. Check the exclusion page of the policy.

Old 09-12-2015, 06:08 AM

1,727 posts, read 1,989,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristina G. View Post
My puppy is only 10 months old, a pit bull.
I left today to get breakfast and when I came back I've noticed he started
Limping, he wouldn't step on it, he doesn't have any energy and just sleeping
All day, then later he was lying with me in bed and he peed himself. I have no idea
What's wrong with him, he doesn't seem like he is in pain. I already got an appointment
with the vet on Sunday be I can't afford an emergency room.

Please help!!
Nobody here is able to do anything other than speculate. Your pup needs to go to the vet ASAP. Dogs hide their pain well. Borrow money, sell whatever valuables you have, use credit card, ask the vet about CareCredit, but do whatever you need to do to get your dog seen by the vet.

Old 04-20-2016, 03:35 AM

15 posts, read 18,371 times
If in the end it turns out to be a torn ACL.. there are other options besides paying thousands for surgery. With the help and advice of our vet we decided to go with the conservative treatment meaning no surgery and bedrest for 8 weeks minimum.

It's an alternative that has way less risks than operating on your dog. We also bought an Ortocanis dog knee brace to help stabilize her knee while the tissue was repairing itself - Ortocanis Knee Brace for Dogs

If the problem is a torn ACL (and you definitely need to get to the vet ASAP to figure out the diagnosis) there are definitely options out there that you should look into besides surgery.

Old 04-20-2016, 06:20 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,853,757 times
I hope by now your pitbull is ok!!!!!

Please give him a big hug for me

Woof .. Woof
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs