Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2023, 09:02 AM

37,617 posts, read 46,006,789 times

Advertisements

I've about had it with my BF regarding his dog. She smells so freaking bad it's all I can do to be in the same room with her. He always says it's because she is old that she smells. And honestly, it's just the past year or so that she has become so awful smelling. He rarely bathes her - and that is frustrating in itself. He always felt that labs just don't need regular baths - and she never had much of an odor so I never said anything about it. (To clarify - this is HIS dog, in HIS house. I wouldn't have a dog in my house - for lots of reasons.)

I think the last time she had a bath was a couple of months ago, and that was when I pushed him on it. But damn...she is just foul. And after she is bathed, it's just a few days that she is smelling again. Personally, I don't think he does much of a job bathing her - he hates doing it and sometimes I help him, and I am always trying to wash more of her and he wants to quit. She is an indoor dog most of the time, but she does go out into his back yard (tall fence so she cannot get out) and hang out some every day. I told him this morning that he HAS to do something about it - take her somewhere to have her properly bathed, or have a mobile dog bath come to his house.

I don't think I can stand it anymore. I wake up at night and all I can smell is that damn dog. Is there a point in a dogs life where they just stink?? I mean, does age really have anything to do with it?? If so, I damn sure would never ever EVER have one. I don't know how people can take it.

Old 11-05-2023, 09:58 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,053,996 times
You have your own house? Then stop going over to his house. He can meet you elsewhere or else he can go to your house (without his dog)

Perhaps the dog should go to a vet to see if she has a skin condition or a thyroid problem, or bad teeth, or infected tonsils.

Maybe your boyfriend needs to change the dogfood,

Old 11-05-2023, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
You have your own house? Then stop going over to his house. He can meet you elsewhere or else he can go to your house (without his dog)

Perhaps the dog should go to a vet to see if she has a skin condition or a thyroid problem, or bad teeth, or infected tonsils.

Maybe your boyfriend needs to change the dogfood,
I own my house. He owns his. We don't live together. He's taken her to the vet - never has been any solution to the smell. It seems to me that he would rather just live with the smell than actually working to find a solution. (I think its lazyiness!) Obviously I don't want to stop "going over to his house". We have been together for 14 years. But I might have to if he can't figure out the stink issue. (He leaves his dog with his mom when he comes to my house or when we go on trips - she thinks the dog stinks too and complains about it constantly so it's not just me.)

Old 11-05-2023, 10:36 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,436,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I own my house. He owns his. We don't live together. He's taken her to the vet - never has been any solution to the smell. It seems to me that he would rather just live with the smell than actually working to find a solution. (I think its lazyiness!) Obviously I don't want to stop "going over to his house". We have been together for 14 years. But I might have to if he can't figure out the stink issue. (He leaves his dog with his mom when he comes to my house or when we go on trips - she thinks the dog stinks too and complains about it constantly so it's not just me.)
Has he asked the vet to examine his dog's anal glands? Often impacted anal glands will cause a horrendous stink that won't be fixed with baths. Just a suggestion.

Old 11-05-2023, 11:00 AM

2,469 posts, read 3,263,308 times
Could be anal glands, teeth, ears, skin issues who knows. Does the dog get checkups?

Old 11-05-2023, 11:06 AM

14,488 posts, read 12,121,454 times
Sounds like a medical issue with the dog, honestly. Your BF is right that dogs should not need frequent baths to not smell, unless they are rolling in dead things. I have seen this affect before, with old dogs. And I'm not sure enough about the causes to guess. There have been a few potential options mentioned here.

Encourage a checkup, go with him so you hear the Q&A also... but also have some compassion, it's an old dog. What are you really asking him to do if it can't be fixed?

Old 11-05-2023, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Sounds like a medical issue with the dog, honestly. Your BF is right that dogs should not need frequent baths to not smell, unless they are rolling in dead things. I have seen this affect before, with old dogs. And I'm not sure enough about the causes to guess. There have been a few potential options mentioned here.

Encourage a checkup, go with him so you hear the Q&A also... but also have some compassion, it's an old dog. What are you really asking him to do if it can't be fixed?
I couldn’t stand to be in a car with her - so that won’t happen. His mom usually is the one that takes her to the vet. I just think he wants a dog but hates to keep spending money on her. She’s been treated over and over again for ear infections but if that’s the cause of the stink, then clearly they can’t resolve it. BF just throws up his hands and lives with it, but I can’t. It’s really an awful odor and untenable to me.

What am I asking? To have some regard for me I suppose. I can’t stand the smell. Fix the smell or just accept that I can’t come to you any more. I just hate for it to come to that and was hoping for suggestions on bathing the dog, like special shampoos maybe. The vet does not appear to be an answer here as she has gone many times.

Last edited by ChessieMom; 11-05-2023 at 12:21 PM..

Old 11-05-2023, 12:29 PM

19,769 posts, read 22,673,762 times
I have two older dogs, both about 11 years. My male developed some pretty putrid breath but overall stink? No. They get bathed about once a month or whenever we need to board them for some reason.

When I was dating my wife- they had a yellow lab that was excessively oily, and she stunk pretty bad. My mother in law had to bathe her weekly. She laid on the carpet in the living room on one spot and it would stain from her oily fur. They had to have the carpet professionally cleaned every so often.

Maybe the old dog has a lot of secreting oils and without bathing the fur gets rancid? I don't know much about labs, but I would assume they need regular bathing.

Oh and we had a blue tick coonhound. You want to talk about stink? Holy buckets of gag-it-all that girl was ripe. She was an outdoor dog for most of her life until she got injured in a dog mauling- only then did she want to even think about being inside. WEEKLY bathing. I would take her in our walk in shower once a week and scrub the crap outta that dog.

Old 11-05-2023, 12:29 PM

14,488 posts, read 12,121,454 times
Well, if that's how you feel, you're asking US to fix something with the dog that you're not willing to try to fix yourself, if you and he can't even go together to take the dog to a vet and ask questions that need asking.

I guarantee it has nothing to do with the quality of the shampoo that has been used. Dogs should not need to be shampooed frequently. Dogs shouldn't just smell, unless they are rolling in something smelly. I suspect a skin condition, yeast, ph, or other imbalance or infection is to blame.

Frequent shampooing can actually CAUSE skin problems by stripping then stimulating normal skin oil production.

Old 11-05-2023, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Well, if that's how you feel, you're asking US to fix something with the dog that you're not willing to try to fix yourself, if you and he can't even go together to take the dog to a vet and ask questions that need asking.

I guarantee it has nothing to do with the quality of the shampoo that has been used. Dogs should not need to be shampooed frequently. Dogs shouldn't just smell, unless they are rolling in something smelly. I suspect a skin condition, yeast, ph, or other imbalance or infection is to blame.
Obviously I can’t fix it. And I certainly am not getting into a car with his dog. It’s that bad.

It’s HIS dog. I was asking for things to suggest to him. Thanks LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs