Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2023, 06:29 PM

37,618 posts, read 46,016,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
My niece has a lab that doesn't smell but gets bathed every month or so and an 8 pound Yorkie that smells putrid. The little one has to go to a groomer pretty often for a bath and most importantly to get her teeth cleaned and brushed. Most of the smell comes from the dog's mouth. Have you noticed that the lab's breath smells or just the skin itself?
It’s not her teeth. Definitely her skin.

Old 11-05-2023, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
My guess is, it's kidney disease. If it were just lack of bathing, the dog would smell good after bathing. Dogs who are indoor dogs who are very rarely bathed don't usually smell bad - their skin has a bacterial flora that is in check, and keeps odor down.

You're not mentioning that the ears stink, or the feet or breath stinks, it's the dog that stinks.

There are treatments and diets for dogs with kidney disease, but that usually starts with a dental cleaning because filthy teeth are usually the cause of kidney disease in older dogs.

This seems really solvable, and it's a surprise that with such a long relationship between you two neither of you will do it to keep your relationship smooth.
Sorry but it isn’t my dog. I don’t have a dog and don’t want one because of the expense and mess and time involved. He knows that. Unfortunately he just thinks all that expense and time and care isn’t needed. It’s just laziness. I’m not going to care for his dog to keep the relationship going I assure you. If he’s THAT lazy then we have a bigger issue. He knows this is a real problem. He’s going to have to figure it out. Or I won’t be coming over any more.

Old 11-05-2023, 07:02 PM

5,424 posts, read 3,496,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Then I agree with the others. She needs to be bathed more frequently. If that doesn't fix the problem she need to be seen at a vet. Good luck getting your BF to fix this.

Old 11-05-2023, 07:26 PM

746 posts, read 1,325,301 times
Quote:
The bad smell is most likely caused by the food she is eating, and any drugs that are given to her.

Just like people stink when they constantly eat disgusting kinds of food, so do dogs.

Old 11-05-2023, 07:32 PM

50,378 posts, read 64,007,408 times
Quote:
Sorry but it isn’t my dog. I don’t have a dog and don’t want one because of the expense and mess and time involved. He knows that. Unfortunately he just thinks all that expense and time and care isn’t needed. It’s just laziness. I’m not going to care for his dog to keep the relationship going I assure you. If he’s THAT lazy then we have a bigger issue. He knows this is a real problem. He’s going to have to figure it out. Or I won’t be coming over any more.
This is what’s really eating you, I think. He’s not thinking of your feelings.

Old 11-05-2023, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
This is what’s really eating you, I think. He’s not thinking of your feelings.
What’s really bothering me is the dang smell. And the fact that he’d rather put up with the stink than put in some effort and possibly expense to remedy it. I honestly think he has no business even having a dog. I mean if you aren’t willing to put in the work…

Old 11-05-2023, 09:19 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,737,386 times
Quote:
What’s really bothering me is the dang smell. And the fact that he’d rather put up with the stink than put in some effort and possibly expense to remedy it. I honestly think he has no business even having a dog. I mean if you aren’t willing to put in the work…
This would be a deal-breaker for me — not the dog herself, but his poor treatment of her. It does sound as if the issue is rooted in a health condition, and someone who refuses to get an animal necessary veterinary treatment wouldn't even be worth having coffee with, let alone having a relationship with.

Old 11-06-2023, 12:00 AM

1,824 posts, read 804,833 times
Everybody has suggested everything I can think of. I think the dog needs a trip to the vet and a groomer. Ears & impacted anal glands are smelly. And infected ears are really painful for the dog.

The only other thing that I can think of is, did the dog roll in something dead? One of my dogs rolled in dead squirrel. She acted like she was in heaven but it was terrible. I bathed her & she did it again. The second time, the squirrel.was stuck to her back, so at least I could eliminate the source. It was so bad that I had to throw away her collar.

You mentioned that the dog goes out in the yard. Could there be something dead out there? Is it a big property?

Old 11-06-2023, 10:17 AM

13,927 posts, read 39,306,840 times
Dawn Dish soap 3 good ALL over soaping with Extremely good Rinsing in between. Dry with a Clean Oder free 100% Cotton towel. Do Not Pet her with Chemicals on Your hands! When she starts smelling again Describe the smell. Write it down and CALL the Vet! O when she in the Yard Go with her Watch her see what she does.... visiting local skunk or cows pig deer .... watch what she rolls in.

Old 11-06-2023, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
This would be a deal-breaker for me — not the dog herself, but his poor treatment of her. It does sound as if the issue is rooted in a health condition, and someone who refuses to get an animal necessary veterinary treatment wouldn't even be worth having coffee with, let alone having a relationship with.
He has a lot of great qualities. That's why I am with him and have no desire or plans to end the relationship. He knows this is an issue...I'll just have to see if he is willing to address it. He said he was going to call a mobile groomer this week. We'll see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.