Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2023, 12:38 PM

14,476 posts, read 12,101,318 times

Advertisements

OK the thing to suggest is a vet visit. If you went along you might be able to ask the question and hear the answer if there is one.

Do you care about the guy or his dog enough to help with the cost if there is one? You seem to not want to help your boyfriend or his dog with this if it's harder than just telling him something to do.

Old 11-05-2023, 01:01 PM

37,608 posts, read 45,988,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
OK the thing to suggest is a vet visit. If you went along you might be able to ask the question and hear the answer if there is one.

Do you care about the guy or his dog enough to help with the cost if there is one? You seem to not want to help your boyfriend or his dog with this if it's harder than just telling him something to do.
He can easily afford the care. That has absolutely nothing to do with it. I’ve helped him bathe the dog, I’ve bought dog toys. The only training the dog has ever has was done by me.

That’s about the limit of my involvement.

Old 11-05-2023, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
I have two older dogs, both about 11 years. My male developed some pretty putrid breath but overall stink? No. They get bathed about once a month or whenever we need to board them for some reason.

When I was dating my wife- they had a yellow lab that was excessively oily, and she stunk pretty bad. My mother in law had to bathe her weekly. She laid on the carpet in the living room on one spot and it would stain from her oily fur. They had to have the carpet professionally cleaned every so often.

Maybe the old dog has a lot of secreting oils and without bathing the fur gets rancid? I don't know much about labs, but I would assume they need regular bathing.

Oh and we had a blue tick coonhound. You want to talk about stink? Holy buckets of gag-it-all that girl was ripe. She was an outdoor dog for most of her life until she got injured in a dog mauling- only then did she want to even think about being inside. WEEKLY bathing. I would take her in our walk in shower once a week and scrub the crap outta that dog.
I just read an article that said Labs were more likely to stink than other breed. Yuck.

Old 11-05-2023, 01:08 PM

19,750 posts, read 22,661,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I just read an article that said Labs were more likely to stink than other breed. Yuck.
Well I can tell you hounds stink. The walk in shower is a Godsend for us. We can't bathe them outside in the winter, so the walk-in is perfect. None of my dogs are willing bathers, and trying to get 60-90lb dogs into a tub AND KEEP THEM in the tub is a holy mess. I put a fine mesh screen over the shower drain and short leash them and scrub away, lol.

If he has a walk in there is no reason NOT to regularly bathe the dog. It's easy peasy.

Old 11-05-2023, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Well I can tell you hounds stink. The walk in shower is a Godsend for us. We can't bathe them outside in the winter, so the walk-in is perfect. None of my dogs are willing bathers, and trying to get 60-90lb dogs into a tub AND KEEP THEM in the tub is a holy mess. I put a fine mesh screen over the shower drain and short leash them and scrub away, lol.

If he has a walk in there is no reason NOT to regularly bathe the dog. It's easy peasy.
Oh he has no walk-in. Hell if he had one of those I’d be bathing the dang dog myself! She’s 90 pounds. A big ass dog!

Old 11-05-2023, 01:16 PM

22,164 posts, read 19,217,049 times
it sounds like the practical solution, is to stop going to his house. And to meet elsewhere instead, either your house or when you go on trips. How old is the dog? eventually the dog will die and the problem will be solved.

it is possible to express to the boyfriend that you miss him, that you feel sorry for the dog, but also that you can only meet him somewhere OTHER than his house. All of those can be expressed with genuine caring and sincerity.

since you've been with the boyfriend 14 years, then it is a serious relationship, that hopefully will weather this bump in the road. how old is the dog, and what do you anticipate it's lie expectancy is?

Old 11-05-2023, 01:31 PM

23,292 posts, read 18,810,120 times
Quote:
I have two older dogs, both about 11 years. My male developed some pretty putrid breath but overall stink? No. They get bathed about once a month or whenever we need to board them for some reason.

When I was dating my wife- they had a yellow lab that was excessively oily, and she stunk pretty bad. My mother in law had to bathe her weekly. She laid on the carpet in the living room on one spot and it would stain from her oily fur. They had to have the carpet professionally cleaned every so often.

Maybe the old dog has a lot of secreting oils and without bathing the fur gets rancid? I don't know much about labs, but I would assume they need regular bathing.
Lab "stink" is a thing. An oily coat is a hallmark characteristic of the breed. It helps protect them from the cold water the breed was developed to be used in. I've known many people who have labs. Almost all of them complain about lab stink and most brush and bathe their dogs more often to remove stale oil buildup and dead hair (labs also shed constantly) because of it. Grooming also keeps skin and coat healthier which also reduces odor. If the dog comes indoors wet, the dog gets towel dried, not left to air dry. They also rotate and clean their beds, blankets, and places their dogs spend much of their time more often. A stinky dog can make its own bed stink...and vice versa! All that effort won't eliminate the problem...oil and dead hair production are normal...but it can help keep it down to a dull roar.

Of course, the dog's health can certainly and probably does contribute to the stink. Foul poorly maintained teeth, neglected anal glands, ear infections (mites and/or yeast imbalances are more common in flop-eared breeds), chronic skin conditions (many labs fight life long allergies and other skin problems), digestive issues from a bad choice of food for an old gut can all pile onto the natural smell of that oily coat. We can't tell much of anything from your description OP.

If your bf won't address the issue because he's a cheapskate and he won't bathe the dog himself, start giving him gift certificates to a local groomer. Some offer return customer incentives so he could get on some sort of schedule with one. If those are the only gifts you ever give, maybe it will make a dent.

Last edited by Parnassia; 11-05-2023 at 02:11 PM..

Old 11-05-2023, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
it sounds like the practical solution, is to stop going to his house. And to meet elsewhere instead, either your house or when you go on trips. How old is the dog? eventually the dog will die and the problem will be solved.

it is possible to express to the boyfriend that you miss him, that you feel sorry for the dog, but also that you can only meet him somewhere OTHER than his house. All of those can be expressed with genuine caring and sincerity.

since you've been with the boyfriend 14 years, then it is a serious relationship, that hopefully will weather this bump in the road. how old is the dog, and what do you anticipate it's lie expectancy is?
It IS a serious relationship, obviously. And if he can’t figure anything out then yes, that’s what I will have to say. He got her when she was a pup, in April 2012. I was with him so
I remember it well. That makes her about 11 and a half. I really don’t know what her life expectancy is. She’s happy, and other than this stink issue, is cared for and well fed. She spoiled every day by his mom that’s for sure.

Old 11-05-2023, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Lab "stink" is a thing. An oily coat is a hallmark characteristic of the breed. It helps protect them from the cold water the breed was developed to be used in. I've known many people who have labs. Almost all of them complain about lab stink and most brush and bathe their dogs more often to remove dead hair (labs also shed constantly) because of it. If the dog comes indoors wet, the dog gets towel dried, not left to air dry. They also rotate and clean their beds, blankets, and places their dogs spend much of their time more often. A stinky dog can make its own bed stink...and vice versa! All that effort won't eliminate the problem...oil and dead hair production are normal...but it can help keep it down to a dull roar.

Of course, the dog's health can certainly and probably does contribute to the stink. Foul poorly maintained teeth, neglected anal glands, ear infections (mites and/or yeast imbalances are more common in flop-eared breeds), chronic skin conditions (many labs fight life long allergies and other skin problems), digestive issues from a bad choice of food for an old gut can all pile onto the natural smell of that oily coat. We can't tell much of anything from your description OP.

If your bf won't address the issue because he's a cheapskate and he won't bathe the dog himself, start giving him gift certificates to a local groomer. Some offer return customer incentives so he could get on some sort of schedule with one. If those are the only gifts you ever give, maybe it will make a dent.
Yes, he’s a cheapskate for sure, when it comes to certain things. But he’ll spend a grand on a bike frame without blinking an eye.
He never EVER brushes her. Doesn’t see the point.
Ooh! A gift certificate to a groomer. That’s something I had not thought of! I think that’s gonna have to go on the Christmas list.

Old 11-05-2023, 02:21 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,292,628 times
So You have Hated this dog for 11 years... WOW. Are you also going to hate his next dog?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs