Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2023, 10:36 AM

37,653 posts, read 46,077,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Dawn Dish soap 3 good ALL over soaping with Extremely good Rinsing in between. Dry with a Clean Oder free 100% Cotton towel. Do Not Pet her with Chemicals on Your hands! When she starts smelling again Describe the smell. Write it down and CALL the Vet! O when she in the Yard Go with her Watch her see what she does.... visiting local skunk or cows pig deer .... watch what she rolls in.
She goes over to his mom's every day when he goes to work; I am there only on occasional weekends. And there really is nothing for her to "roll in". Two high-fenced yards, side by side. No exit for her to get out.

Old 11-06-2023, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
My guess is, it's kidney disease. If it were just lack of bathing, the dog would smell good after bathing. Dogs who are indoor dogs who are very rarely bathed don't usually smell bad - their skin has a bacterial flora that is in check, and keeps odor down.

You're not mentioning that the ears stink, or the feet or breath stinks, it's the dog that stinks.

There are treatments and diets for dogs with kidney disease, but that usually starts with a dental cleaning because filthy teeth are usually the cause of kidney disease in older dogs.

This seems really solvable, and it's a surprise that with such a long relationship between you two neither of you will do it to keep your relationship smooth.
She's had all kinds of tests - he actually spent a few hundred at the vet's, several months ago (why he doesn't think there is anything wrong and doesn't want to take her back without a good reason). I would think if it was kidney disease, they would have found that.

Old 11-06-2023, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
Then I agree with the others. She needs to be bathed more frequently. If that doesn't fix the problem she need to be seen at a vet. Good luck getting your BF to fix this.
Thanks. I am not letting it go - I can't. So he'll get tired of me complaining, or he'll do something about it.

Old 11-06-2023, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalWorth View Post
Everybody has suggested everything I can think of. I think the dog needs a trip to the vet and a groomer. Ears & impacted anal glands are smelly. And infected ears are really painful for the dog.

The only other thing that I can think of is, did the dog roll in something dead? One of my dogs rolled in dead squirrel. She acted like she was in heaven but it was terrible. I bathed her & she did it again. The second time, the squirrel.was stuck to her back, so at least I could eliminate the source. It was so bad that I had to throw away her collar.

You mentioned that the dog goes out in the yard. Could there be something dead out there? Is it a big property?
Nah. It's just a fenced yard. Anything dead would be quickly noticeable and dealt with.

Old 11-06-2023, 11:44 AM

7,182 posts, read 4,581,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
So You have Hated this dog for 11 years... WOW. Are you also going to hate his next dog?
I have deduced from previous comments by the OP on other’s threads that she doesn’t like dogs so of course she’s not really interested in going to the vet with them because it would be too unbearable to ride in the car with a stinky dog). It’s probably a health issue and the owner should do bloodwork, etc to try to determine the cause. If the dog is being fed cheap food this could be part of the issue as well as a skin condition. Too frequent bathing can make it worse.

We are all guessing but the owner should be vigilant about identifying the problem. Personally if I was ever asked to choose between my dog and a person the person would go. Dogs are pure love, devoted, and will fight to the death for their owners. The dog deserves the care that it requires. Don’t go to your boyfriend’s house anymore and problem solved.

Sadly your boyfriend doesn’t deserve a dog by the way he’s treating it. I would take the dog to the vet myself and pay for it because I couldn’t stand by and do nothing.

Old 11-06-2023, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
I have deduced from previous comments by the OP on other’s threads that she doesn’t like dogs so of course she’s not really interested in going to the vet with them because it would be too unbearable to ride in the car with a stinky dog). It’s probably a health issue and the owner should do bloodwork, etc to try to determine the cause. If the dog is being fed cheap food this could be part of the issue as well as a skin condition. Too frequent bathing can make it worse.

We are all guessing but the owner should be vigilant about identifying the problem. Personally if I was ever asked to choose between my dog and a person the person would go. Dogs are pure love, devoted, and will fight to the death for their owners. The dog deserves the care that it requires. Don’t go to your boyfriend’s house anymore and problem solved.
I have never stated that I "don't like dogs". What I HAVE stated, many times, is that I enjoy dogs but would not ever have one in my own home. (There are certainly some breeds I cannot tolerate - and I may have used the word "hate" in regards to them - I really don't remember.) I had cats all my life, but after the last one, knew that I would not have any more. I am on the go a lot, and I cannot abide a dirty messy home, and the time and mess and expense is simply more than I want to deal with. There are many reasons I would never own a dog - and I have certainly made that clear here. My BF is very aware of my reasons too. I very much enjoy OTHER people's dogs though, if they are well-behaved, and I actually have a couple of neighborhood dogs that stop by just to visit me and hang out in my back yard. I absolutely do prefer people to animals - and I have stated that too. I'd never choose a pet over a person I cared about. No way. Not ever. But I have NEVER stated that I hate dogs (or cats), or any blanket statement like that. So please do not put words in my mouth.

Every single toy and treat that my BF's dog has, has been purchased by ME. Every bit of training that she has, has been taught by ME. Every walk she has gone on - EVERY single walk, EVER, has been done by ME.

And as I stated previously, he HAS had bloodwork done on her, several months ago. They found nothing. I really think the dog just needs to be bathed regularly. And I KNOW he knows that. He just doesn't want to take the time to do it.

Last edited by ChessieMom; 11-06-2023 at 12:27 PM..

Old 11-06-2023, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I have never stated that I "don't like dogs". What I HAVE stated, many times, is that I enjoy dogs but would not ever have one in my own home. (There are certainly some breeds I cannot tolerate - and I may have used the word "hate" in regards to them - I really don't remember.) I had cats all my life, but after the last one, knew that I would not have any more. I am on the go a lot, and I cannot abide a dirty messy home, and the time and mess and expense is simply more than I want to deal with. There are many reasons I would never own a dog - and I have certainly made that clear here. My BF is very aware of my reasons too. I very much enjoy OTHER people's dogs though, if they are well-behaved, and I actually have a couple of neighborhood dogs that stop by just to visit me and hang out in my back yard. I absolutely do prefer people to animals - and I have stated that too. I'd never choose a pet over a person I loved. No way. Not ever. But I have NEVER stated that I hate dogs (or cats), or any blanket statement like that. So please do not put words in my mouth.

Every single toy and treat that my BF's dog has, has been purchased by ME. Every bit of training that she has, has been taught by ME. Every walk she has gone on - EVERY single walk, EVER, has been done by ME.
The more you write the more I really dislike your boyfriend. The fact that he never walks a big dog is despicable. They need daily exercise. I am glad you are walking her when you visit. In a life or death situation I wouldn’t choose a dog over a person but if someone gave me an ultimatum that it was them or the dog I wouldn’t choose them.

That being said I love cats but have become so allergic that I couldn’t be in a relationship with someone that had a cat but I wouldn’t want them to get rid of the cat for me. In fact if they did I wouldn’t want to be with them. Pets are family forever.

I think it’s smart to not have a pet if you don’t want to. I didn’t have any until my kids grew up and now I won’t be without one. I really hope you can get your boyfriend to try a new vet to get to the bottom of this issue.

Old 11-06-2023, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
The more you write the more I really dislike your boyfriend. The fact that he never walks a big dog is despicable. They need daily exercise. I am glad you are walking her when you visit. In a life or death situation I wouldn’t choose a dog over a person but if someone gave me an ultimatum that it was them or the dog I wouldn’t choose them.

That being said I love cats but have become so allergic that I couldn’t be in a relationship with someone that had a cat but I wouldn’t want them to get rid of the cat for me. In fact if they did I wouldn’t want to be with them. Pets are family forever.

I think it’s smart to not have a pet if you don’t want to. I didn’t have any until my kids grew up and now I won’t be without one. I really hope you can get your boyfriend to try a new vet to get to the bottom of this issue.
You don't have to walk a dog to give them exercise. I didn't mention that I purchased one of those "Chuck it" tennis ball launchers, back when she was little. BF had never heard of them - but of course I have seen them many times. It's her favorite thing to do - he has always gone out with her at after he gets home and throws tennis balls (which I bought too of course!). I think he was amazed at first at how she loves it - she used to jump right off the deck after them. She used to keep one of us out there for nearly an hour throwing balls. But now she is older, and we don't want her jumping so we only launch the balls on the ground. And she can only run for about 4 or 5 balls and she is done. So yes - she gets plenty of exercise - always has.

My point was that I am the only one that takes her out on actual walks. I could not do it alone when she was much younger - BF would go with me when I asked him - because she was just too much for me - I'm strong but she was stronger - she's a big dog. But she slowed down and learned of course. I've not taken her on a walk since she has had this smell thing going on - there is simply no way I can get her harness on - and to be honest I think the last time I walked her we noticed that the harness was pretty much shot. I do launch balls for her, and so does he - she still loves that and does get in some running. And she's not good in a car - never has been - she's just one of those dogs that does nothing but yelp and bark and whine the entire time. Definitely not an enjoyable ride with her - besides the smell.

Yeah - pets, of any kind, are just not something I want now. It's demanding to have a dog, or a cat, or I guess most kinds of pets really, and like I said earlier, if you aren't willing to put in the work and the time and the money, you should do everyone a favor and not bother. I know my limits and what I am willing to do. So for me, no pets.

Old 11-06-2023, 01:23 PM

I had the ball thrower when I had a big dog. They do love it but I also walked him daily because dogs like to be out in the world and experience things just like people. I have a dog that can no longer walk because of a heart condition so I bought a stroller so she can get out every day. She loves people petting her and just the total experience of being out.

Animals are a real trigger for me because I hate when people don’t give them the life they deserve. Anyway you have made a good choice for yourself and I hope your boyfriend doesn’t get another dog because he is not taking the proper care of her. I find the entire situation sad.

Old 11-06-2023, 01:45 PM

14,539 posts, read 12,179,244 times
I will second the idea that you can be a good dog owner and not 'walk' your dog. We never 'walk' ours. We have three. They live on a farm. We let them out to run in their fenced compound of about a half acre where they mingle with our chickens and sometimes goats. When they're done they come to the back porch and look at us pleadingly through the door. The bad ones scratch on it.

They live pretty well for dogs, and they rarely wear leashes or leave our property. I would rather our Livestock Guardian Dog didn't even know there was a world out there to explore, because some of them are known to escape and wander, and ours doesn't

But ChessiesMom.... I hope you find a way to improve both the dog, and your relationship with this man. It sounds from your posts like he doesn't care about either of you, it could be he's just skeptical of fru-fru stuff and doesn't know better. Try showing him internet articles about smelly dogs that give the things to ask a vet about? They may not be all that involved or expensive. He just needs to know what to ask and I think you might be able to help them both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.