Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2023, 06:31 PM

5,010 posts, read 10,686,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpio60 View Post
I'm going to try to trim Jack's nails myself and use the method you explained. I need to see how he reacts.

I also have to keep in mind that Jack is 10 years old and he was muzzled when he had his nails cut for all those years. Maybe Jack will be happy that I don't muzzle him, maybe not. I'm going to show him the clippers (they still have not arrived) and just observe him. I have been touching his paws and so far no problem with that. I'll update on what happens (hoping I have 2 hands, lol).
I am hoping that he is happy about it I would ask the groomer who used to trim him if she noted any reaction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2024, 09:46 AM

1,194 posts, read 616,176 times
Hello again,

It's almost a year since I adopted Jack. I have brought him to a groomer to have his nails clipped (he has to wear a muzzle because that's a trigger for him).

Jack has calmed down so much during this past year and we formed a strong bond. He also loves the aide that comes a few times a week. She was afraid of him in the beginning and he sensed that but she is no longer afraid which is a good thing.

My problem now is Jack's hair has grown and is matted in places. He lets me give him a bath once a week (no muzzle) and I've been putting conditioner (the conditioner I put in my own hair) after I rinse the soap out (I use oatmeal soap).

In the beginning he let me brush him but now he doesn't like it, he growled at me. It's very possible I was brushing him too hard (I have strong hands).

The hair around his face is too long but a groomer can't cut it because of the muzzle. So I don't know what to do about that. I use a basket type muzzle.

Any advice on the matting and the long hair on his face?

Thanks!

Old 04-13-2024, 01:32 PM

23,259 posts, read 18,777,131 times
Quote:
Hello again,

The hair around his face is too long but a groomer can't cut it because of the muzzle. So I don't know what to do about that. I use a basket type muzzle.

Any advice on the matting and the long hair on his face?

Thanks!
You'll need to work with him to regain his trust about brushing. There are quite a few different types of grooming tools that wouldn't pull his hair as much or scratch his skin. Some dogs do better with a grooming "glove". It's a flexy glove with a nubby palm you wear on your hand. As you stroke the dog all over, the nubs do the brushing/remove shed. It wouldn't untangle mats however. You'd need to clip those. He may never be a grooming fashion plate but if you can keep matting down to a dull roar and keep the rest of him reasonably maintained maybe you'll need to be satisfied with that. As for his face, aren't there open wire basket style muzzles that would allow a groomer to get the tip of scissors through just enough to snip the mats/long hair? More experienced groomers may have one.

Last edited by Parnassia; 04-13-2024 at 02:40 PM..

Old 04-13-2024, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
You'll need to work with him to regain his trust about brushing. There are quite a few different types of grooming tools that wouldn't pull his hair as much or scratch his skin. Some dogs do better with a grooming "glove". It's a flexy glove with a nubby palm you wear on your hand. As you stroke the dog all over, the nubs do the brushing/remove shed. It wouldn't untangle mats however. You'd need to clip those. He may never be a grooming fashion plate but if you can keep matting down to a dull roar and keep the rest of him reasonably maintained maybe you'll need to be satisfied with that. As for his face, aren't there open wire basket style muzzles that would allow a groomer to get the tip of scissors through just enough to snip the mats/long hair? More experienced groomers may have one.
Thanks for your reply. I will try the "glove" even though it won't untangle the mats. I don't need Jack look great but I have been reading articles that state matting is unhealthy for the dog. I don't know if that's true or not. All the dogs I have owned in my life had short hair.

I found a more experienced groomer that someone said is wonderful and I'm waiting for her to call me back. Maybe she could help with a different type of muzzle or have some ideas. Jack has a short snout so there aren't many muzzles I could find. His basket style does have lots of holes in it but it's tiny because of Jack's size.

I did find a muzzle that is not a basket style but is just round and is supposed to fit snug on his short snout. Maybe I'll buy that just to see.

Thanks again!

Old 04-13-2024, 03:56 PM

23,259 posts, read 18,777,131 times
Quote:
Thanks for your reply. I will try the "glove" even though it won't untangle the mats. I don't need Jack look great but I have been reading articles that state matting is unhealthy for the dog. I don't know if that's true or not. All the dogs I have owned in my life had short hair.

I found a more experienced groomer that someone said is wonderful and I'm waiting for her to call me back. Maybe she could help with a different type of muzzle or have some ideas. Jack has a short snout so there aren't many muzzles I could find. His basket style does have lots of holes in it but it's tiny because of Jack's size.

I did find a muzzle that is not a basket style but is just round and is supposed to fit snug on his short snout. Maybe I'll buy that just to see.

Thanks again!
Yes, mats can create trouble. Their weight pulls on the skin even when the dog isn't moving around, they prevent the dog from keeping themselves groomed leading to skin irritations and infections, they frustrate the dog (the last thing you want if the dog is already touchy), and they accumulate dirt, bacteria, even ectoparasites.

Before buying another trial and error muzzle, talk it over with the new groomer. They may already have one that will get the job done and could offer suggestions what might work best at home.

Old 04-13-2024, 04:10 PM

1,196 posts, read 528,803 times
I don't know why your mom feeding him is seen as "bad" to you. I feel for the poor dog who is probably forced to eat processed cereal or by-product wet food. Real food is for everyone, not just humans.

Have the cleaning lady feed him cheese (cut up a few pieces and keep in fridge). That will solve any fearful behavior.

Think of him as a real, living being, and not a "thing" to control.

Old 04-13-2024, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Yes, mats can create trouble. Their weight pulls on the skin even when the dog isn't moving around, they prevent the dog from keeping themselves groomed leading to skin irritations and infections, they frustrate the dog (the last thing you want if the dog is already touchy), and they accumulate dirt, bacteria, even ectoparasites.

Before buying another trial and error muzzle, talk it over with the new groomer. They may already have one that will get the job done and could offer suggestions what might work best at home.
That makes a lot of sense. I hope my giving him a weekly bath helps. Yes, I agree, let's see what the new groomer says. He doesn't need to wear the muzzle at home, only when I trim the hair above his eyes.

He has come a long way since I first adopted him, he's a very happy dog except for when I leave when the aide comes to give me respite care. She tells me that he cries until I get back home. At home he follows me wherever I go. He's quite attached to me and I love him as well.

Old 04-13-2024, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by considerforamoment View Post
I don't know why your mom feeding him is seen as "bad" to you. I feel for the poor dog who is probably forced to eat processed cereal or by-product wet food. Real food is for everyone, not just humans.

Have the cleaning lady feed him cheese (cut up a few pieces and keep in fridge). That will solve any fearful behavior.

Think of him as a real, living being, and not a "thing" to control.

It's not that it's bad that my Mom feeds him, it's that he is gaining weight because she shares her ice cream with him but since they both enjoy it it's okay. He is suffering from some arthritis already so I'm giving him a joint supplement that is really helping him.

When I adopted him Jack was extremely underweight so his previous owners really didn't feed him and kept him locked up in a crate 24/7. There was wee-wee pads in the crate as well. A lot of people shouldn't own dogs or pets for that matter.

Jack loves veggies, meat that I cook for myself, etc. He eats really healthy.

Old 04-14-2024, 11:40 AM

1,196 posts, read 528,803 times
Quote:
It's not that it's bad that my Mom feeds him, it's that he is gaining weight because she shares her ice cream with him but since they both enjoy it it's okay. He is suffering from some arthritis already so I'm giving him a joint supplement that is really helping him.

When I adopted him Jack was extremely underweight so his previous owners really didn't feed him and kept him locked up in a crate 24/7. There was wee-wee pads in the crate as well. A lot of people shouldn't own dogs or pets for that matter.

Jack loves veggies, meat that I cook for myself, etc. He eats really healthy.
I'm so glad to hear this. Sounds like he has a great life with you.

Old 04-14-2024, 04:44 PM

7,071 posts, read 4,514,055 times
Jack is a lucky dog to have you!! I don’t bathe my dogs more than once a month because I read it dries out their skin too much and they get itchy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs