Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2023, 07:39 AM

10,990 posts, read 6,857,477 times

Advertisements

Yes, I've tried that. I can't see the quick even when looking underneath. I'm currently doing the very short trimming, but it didn't work on one of her nails. I wouldn't even trim her nails anymore to be honest except that they got so long they started interfering with her gait and that was likely causing pain. We're getting there, slowly. There are no sidewalks where we live so unfortunately going on walks does not solve the problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2023, 07:58 AM

1,195 posts, read 616,176 times
A long time ago I had a Doberman that I loved very much. She needed a vaccination so while she was at my Vet an assistant cut her nails and cut the quick and my dobie freaked out (I did as well). It took her a long time to get over the fear of nail clippers.

Old 07-14-2023, 08:53 AM

5,010 posts, read 10,686,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpio60 View Post
A long time ago I had a Doberman that I loved very much. She needed a vaccination so while she was at my Vet an assistant cut her nails and cut the quick and my dobie freaked out (I did as well). It took her a long time to get over the fear of nail clippers.
My former GSD, Sadie, was like that as well. After taking her to a vet who restrained her to cut her nails, I just did them myself, at home, which was a lot less stressful for her. I would cut one nail, let her walk around, then do another and so on. It took forever but it was worth it to not see her coming out of the vet visibly upset

Old 07-14-2023, 03:47 PM

23,265 posts, read 18,777,131 times
I clearly recall when I first met my last 2 rescue dogs and discussed their little traits with the rescue staff, they warned me they flat out refused to have their claws trimmed. It took several years of patient nail-treat-pet, nail-treat-pet, break to relax (both of us )-nail-treat-pet routines to overcome it. It might take the length of an evening TV movie to accomplish a clip, but we did. What a feeling of triumph to finally get through a session without a break!

Last edited by Parnassia; 07-14-2023 at 03:59 PM..

Old 07-16-2023, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
I clearly recall when I first met my last 2 rescue dogs and discussed their little traits with the rescue staff, they warned me they flat out refused to have their claws trimmed. It took several years of patient nail-treat-pet, nail-treat-pet, break to relax (both of us )-nail-treat-pet routines to overcome it. It might take the length of an evening TV movie to accomplish a clip, but we did. What a feeling of triumph to finally get through a session without a break!
Thanks for letting me know this. As you know this is my first rescue and I will try what you said. I was touching (rubbing) his paws this afternoon and that went fine. I want him to know I don't want to hurt him. The good news is that I can see his quick in some of his nails.

Old 07-16-2023, 03:31 PM

23,265 posts, read 18,777,131 times
Quote:
Thanks for letting me know this. As you know this is my first rescue and I will try what you said. I was touching (rubbing) his paws this afternoon and that went fine. I want him to know I don't want to hurt him. The good news is that I can see his quick in some of his nails.
One of my dogs in particular really didn't like having her feet handled. Many dogs don't.

I started off touching her paws very, very briefly in a sort of innocent, almost accidental manner and tried to detect the earliest sign that she was getting uncomfortable. That's the "threshold" I'd try to avoid. Touch briefly, then refocus onto something else that didn't involve feet. I'd do this whether her claws were due to be clipped or not in order to diffuse the connection between claw clips and foot touching that didn't have a surreptitious agenda . When she'd refocus successfully, she'd be rewarded. I was trying to teach her that touching or handling her feet simply wasn't anything important or anything to be concerned about.

Gradually, that reactive threshold took longer to reach. Then I'd up the ante; manipulating individual toes, showing her the clippers, leave them out on a table and let her realize they were ordinary house accessories that weren't anything to be scared of, touching the clippers to the claw without cutting, then clipping one and praising the heck out of her if she didn't react.

Always remember that your dog will pick up on YOUR nervousness and consider that a clue what THEY should get nervous about. Be sure your clippers are the right size and very sharp. Dull clippers will pinch the entire claw longer. You want it quick...so quick the dog doesn't really have time to react before it's over and they're being rewarded.

Last edited by Parnassia; 07-16-2023 at 03:49 PM..

Old 07-21-2023, 10:13 AM

13,707 posts, read 12,418,158 times
Quote:

My concern now is taking him to a groomer to get his nails cut. I can give him a bath, clean his ears and eyes and he doesn't mind that at all.

He has calmed down a lot since I first adopted him and is very lovable and can act very silly.
A couple thoughts...I'd pay a groomer to do it if you don't have to do it often and tell her he might have to be muzzled. You can practice muzzle training at home; I have a friend that does it as a preventative measure in case there's a medical emergency where the dog gets fearful/in pain.

Also, if you walk him on concrete regularly they often self file.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
One of my dogs in particular really didn't like having her feet handled. Many dogs don't.
When my dog was a puppy the vet told me to handle/mess with his feet early and often. It has paid dividends in terms of not having to pay for anasthesia a few times when they suffered foot injuries. And he's tolerant of the groomer for nail trims, and he's tolerant of boots if we're hunting rough country, and so on.

Old 07-22-2023, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
A couple thoughts...I'd pay a groomer to do it if you don't have to do it often and tell her he might have to be muzzled. You can practice muzzle training at home; I have a friend that does it as a preventative measure in case there's a medical emergency where the dog gets fearful/in pain.

Also, if you walk him on concrete regularly they often self file.

When my dog was a puppy the vet told me to handle/mess with his feet early and often. It has paid dividends in terms of not having to pay for anasthesia a few times when they suffered foot injuries. And he's tolerant of the groomer for nail trims, and he's tolerant of boots if we're hunting rough country, and so on.
I think that's a good idea as well as the other ideas posted here. Last night I talked to the girl who brought Jack to me (she had him muzzled when Jack first arrived). She told me that she used to cut Jack's nails and muzzled him. I don't know why I think muzzling is mean. Of course I don't want to chance it that Jack may bite someone.

His nails don't need to be trimmed that often (I have Jack a little bit over 2 months now) and his nails grew just a bit, they are not overly long. I did buy clippers that were recommended here but after talking to the girl who brought Jack over I think it's better if I bring Jack to a groomer and muzzle him first (will watch videos on how to do this).

I do walk him a lot but we don't have cement here, it's very country with dirt roads except for the main roads.

Jack was owned by elderly people who didn't give him attention, neglected him, etc. From what I understand neglect is a form of abuse. I'm lucky that Jack and I get along great and he's a very happy dog.

Old 07-22-2023, 03:51 PM

5,010 posts, read 10,686,308 times
Quote:
I don't know why I think muzzling is mean.
It’s not that muzzling is “mean,” per se. I don’t like it because it prevents the dog from communicating: yelping and/or biting when having nails clipped can be the dog’s way of saying, “Ouch!” You don’t want the dog to be restricted from communicating or think that it cannot communicate in such a situation. Can you imagine someone cutting your nails and/or cuticles and not being able to say or do anything if they were hurting you? So, I don’t recommend muzzling or restraining him. IMHE, both make anxious dogs even more anxious in stressful situations.

I only use muzzling for very extreme situations (like quarantining).

Old 07-22-2023, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
It’s not that muzzling is “mean,” per se. I don’t like it because it prevents the dog from communicating: yelping and/or biting when having nails clipped can be the dog’s way of saying, “Ouch!” You don’t want the dog to be restricted from communicating or think that it cannot communicate in such a situation. Can you imagine someone cutting your nails and/or cuticles and not being able to say or do anything if they were hurting you? So, I don’t recommend muzzling or restraining him. IMHE, both make anxious dogs even more anxious in stressful situations.

I only use muzzling for very extreme situations (like quarantining).
I'm going to try to trim Jack's nails myself and use the method you explained. I need to see how he reacts.

I also have to keep in mind that Jack is 10 years old and he was muzzled when he had his nails cut for all those years. Maybe Jack will be happy that I don't muzzle him, maybe not. I'm going to show him the clippers (they still have not arrived) and just observe him. I have been touching his paws and so far no problem with that. I'll update on what happens (hoping I have 2 hands, lol).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs