Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2015, 01:27 PM

12,420 posts, read 3,230,916 times

Advertisements

We just brought home a rescue dog. We wanted an older dog who wouldn't be too active, but could run around a little with our other dog. We knew he had poor eyesight and was a little lame in the hips, but the foster parents and the rescue convinced us that this dog would be perfect for us. Well, he is completely blind and deaf, and can barely walk. Last night he bit my husband when he was trying to help him up.
I also think the dog is older than we were told. I am scheduling an appt. with our vet for an evaluation.
Any other ideas?

We were also told he does tricks for treats (sits, shakes paw, etc.)...

Last edited by Mainer61; 03-22-2015 at 01:32 PM.. Reason: ll
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2015, 01:58 PM

10,113 posts, read 19,394,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainer61 View Post
We just brought home a rescue dog. We wanted an older dog who wouldn't be too active, but could run around a little with our other dog. We knew he had poor eyesight and was a little lame in the hips, but the foster parents and the rescue convinced us that this dog would be perfect for us. Well, he is completely blind and deaf, and can barely walk. Last night he bit my husband when he was trying to help him up.
I also think the dog is older than we were told. I am scheduling an appt. with our vet for an evaluation.
Any other ideas?

We were also told he does tricks for treats (sits, shakes paw, etc.)...
This little guy needs you!

I'm glad you're taking him to a vet, so you know exactly what you are dealing with. We adopted a senior cat about 6 years ago. We were told he was about 8 years old, then some paper work stated he was 11 years old. When we pointed that out, they said oh, that was just a typo, don't worry about it. Well, the cat brought much love and joy to our home, and was a great companion and comfort to me especially when I was going through a difficult time. However, he was much older than we were given to believe. he passed away suddenly from diabetes, when we weren't even aware he had the condition. I've often felt so guilty about his passing. We did take him to the vet, but just for basic wellness checkups and shots, and told the vet he was about 8. If we'd known his true age, the would have done more "senior" testing which would have revealed his true condition.

Owners who must surrender beloved pets to a shelter often lie about the age if the pet is very elderly. Many shelters won't take a pet over 10, so, he would be euthansized immediately. We think our beloved marshmallow's owner lied to get him a chance. I would have taken him anyways, but the shelter might not,

My point is, if we'd known, we would have proceeded differently. OP, bless you for taking an older dog with special needs. You need to know what you're dealing with and if you can take on such a pet. Once you know you can decide whether to
`
- keep the dog, knowing his needs and be willing/able to deal with them

- return the animal to the foster shelter, but I would do so as quickly as possible, to lessen the trauma from moving him around

-find him another home yourself, giving full disclosure, please, don't post him of Craigs List

Have him put to sleep if he can no longer maintain a quality of life

Do what's best for the little guy, but be honest with yourself, is this something you can truly take on? At any rate, sounds like you are a wonderful pet owner and will do the right thing

Old 03-22-2015, 02:01 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,234,864 times
He may do all of the above, but is confused by the sudden changes. It may or may not work, but my bet is things will get much better in a week or two after the dog gets comfortable in his new surroundings with new people and dog.

Sorry it wasn't smooth from the start, but my bet is it will improve quickly.

Old 03-22-2015, 02:16 PM

We would never take him to a shelter or give him away. We are not new to having dogs as we have had 6 other dogs over 30 years. They have all been big snugglers and spoiled rotten....like they should be. This dog was not represented fairly, and now we will be stuck with big vet bills through no fault of ours or his.

Old 03-22-2015, 02:27 PM

10,113 posts, read 19,394,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainer61 View Post
We would never take him to a shelter or give him away. We are not new to having dogs as we have had 6 other dogs over 30 years. They have all been big snugglers and spoiled rotten....like they should be. This dog was not represented fairly, and now we will be stuck with big vet bills through no fault of ours or his.
Good for you!

I'm glad you realize this is a living creature, not a defective toaster you can just return

Its sad he was not represented correctly, but the former owners probably felt if they disclosed too much it would decrease his chances of getting a home. As long as you know what you're dealing with, you can manage his care and bills. Of course, the added expense is not fair, but the love and joy he will bring you will more than make up for that!

Old 03-22-2015, 02:45 PM

No, he was a stray (which probably means someone dumped him on the street due to poor health... ) The rescue and foster should have told us the truth

Old 03-22-2015, 03:02 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,886,038 times
You have a blind possibly deaf (assume old) and LAME rescue to "run around a little" with a STRANGE DOG and feel the rescue and foster were wrong? Besides, they all lowball the ages frequently. He was stray.

OF COURSE he's freaking out. Not a SINGLE FAMILIAR THING.

Sorry I disagree. He was in foster and I think you should return him to his foster care.

Where was YOUR Dog when all this went on?

Special needs dogs are not for everyone and challenging.30 years or not, your experiences probably are NOT a good match for this dog.

Old 03-22-2015, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
You have a blind possibly deaf (assume old) and LAME rescue to "run around a little" with a STRANGE DOG and feel the rescue and foster were wrong? Besides, they all lowball the ages frequently. He was stray.

OF COURSE he's freaking out. Not a SINGLE FAMILIAR THING.

Sorry I disagree. He was in foster and I think you should return him to his foster care.

Where was YOUR Dog when all this went on?

Special needs dogs are not for everyone and challenging.30 years or not, your experiences probably are NOT a good match for this dog.
When all WHAT went on?

He's not freaking out...WE feel really badly that he was moved if he was happy in a foster. We think she didn't want him because of vet bills.

We weren't told HOW special needs he was....he was in another state They knew what we were looking for and they told us he was what we wanted. THEIR vet told us he is older than they said he was.

Stop judging...we have had blind dogs, deaf dogs, etc. in the past...the point is----we were lied to (also told he does tricks!), and that's wrong and unfair to all of us....he should never have been moved many hours away..btw--he was brought to us, so we didn't see him until we got him. So much for trust.

Old 03-22-2015, 07:37 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,746,342 times
Just do your best to give him the best life you can. If his quality of life get really bad you might have to put him to sleep, but in the mean time love him, and try to be patient. He is in a new place, can't see where he is, can't hear you. Poor little guy must be scared

Try cuddling with him and have your husband do the same. Dogs use smell, they will know who you are. Try to take him for walks if you can. They say it's good that dogs stop and sniff their surroundings because they can see their world thru smells.

Old 03-22-2015, 07:54 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,807,522 times
Really crappy you were lied to, but you seem like you can handle him. Our dog went totally deaf his last year and had very poor vision towards the end. You never know, he actually might be in decent health for his age. Might just need something for arthritis. Our dog had an arthritis pill and thyroid pill for the last 4 years of his life. It wasn't too expensive, especially when compared to other problems seniors can encounter. Aside from that, I believe showing him and letting him know he IS loved is most important after being abandoned during his most vulnerable stage of life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs