Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 05:27 PM

692 posts, read 3,856,109 times

Advertisements

I can't seem to find my old adoption thread so I guess this will be the last thread I make..I'm going to have to save the link so I can find it next time.
Well today was a very busy day for us. We had A Different Breed, The City of Dallas and also Oak Hill dogs with us. I didn't get pictures of all the dogs, but quite a few. It was a very crazy day. Every week I go to an adoption I'll post pictures, so keep checking back.
First up is Starsky a Bull Terrier mix, about 8 months old and a great dog. I would have spent my whole day with him if I could have. He is such a free spirit! His ears are so HUGE!

Fizz is such a funny dog both his underbite and personality! He tried so hard to give a poise expression, but that underbite stopped him everytime.

Dexter has had a hard life and it's only started. He was picked up off the street by the city with a hurt back leg. He doesn't seem to use it much but gets along just fine. When I tried to pick him up he wasn't to happy, but after a bath and some TLC he melted my heart and I think I did the same to him.

Copper a little Boxer mix was born with both eyes, but has already lost one. I don't know his whole story, but he's a sweet heart. He just wants in your lap.. a big lap dog to come.

Denver is a Aussie/maybe Border Collie mix also with the city. He's full of energy and a goof ball. His markings were so different. He wasn't to happy about the camera.

These two pups Dakota and (I think) Ranger were brought in today for a trade..A foster passed to another foster...they're going to be a huge handful. I'm thinking their some type of Akita mix or maybe Husky.
Dakota
Ranger

I had another shave victim today..*Shakes head* a Cocker Spaniel mix who was an owner surrender. He was just one huge mat underside and all; so my job was to get them off. Which I didn't mind, but you could tell he wasn't a fan at all. You know how much one mat hurts let alone his entire body. After working on him for 2 hrs I had his lower back, one leg and underside cut. I felt so bad for him, but one of our good fosters took him home so he didn't have to go back to the city.

Ebony my big baby. Everyone seems to think she's mean; when really she couldn't be more sweet. I tried to get a few pictures of her where she didn't look mean and tough. I think these are about as nice as she can possibly look. I love her face!

A few more of Ebony since she's so pretty..

That's all for now. I should have more next weekend. Take care everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2008, 05:31 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,440,752 times
Bless their hearts, I love them all.

Starsky looks like he could bring in a satellite signal with those ears.

Old 02-02-2008, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
Bless their hearts, I love them all.

Starsky looks like he could bring in a satellite signal with those ears.
HE COULD!! lol I think that must be why I liked him so much; it had to of been because of his ears. There are dogs that are wild, but he just had such a free spirit and could care less about anything. That's my kind of dog!

Old 02-02-2008, 08:22 PM

1,310 posts, read 6,558,182 times
Ebony was gorgoeous. Such great bone structure and I'd swear those eyese were a lab's eyes though. Wow, keep the updates coming! I think this forum would do good with a stories and updates on rescued and adoptions. I know myself I like to learn directly from those involved how things go. I might have mentioned this before.

Old 02-02-2008, 11:19 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,440,752 times
All the pets I have now were rescues.
I have one dog, a 10 lb (runt) Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, placed with my by the breeder when she was 3 years old.

Three cats which for one reason or another could not stay in their original home.

Tumnus I found through Petfinder.com: Adopt a pet and help an animal shelter rescue a puppy or kitten..

Rufus I found in the neighborhood, looking gorgeous and fell in love with him.

Salem needed a new home because his owners were moving.

They all fit together like a family, they like to join me on my bed and can find a place to sleep without annoying each other.

A woman who played a big part in my childhood recently passed away from cancer. She was the Mother of one of my childhood classmates, she was always present for school things, bringing along something fun for us to eat, going on field trips, always with a camera in her hand.

Well she also was a cat rescuer. She had several cats when she passed away, two of the girls might be joining our household. I hope my boys don't fight over the new girlfriends.

Old 02-03-2008, 02:24 PM

18,726 posts, read 33,396,751 times
Great pictures, thank you!
I think a good picture goes a long way towards helping an animal get adopted. To me, a dog is either cute or beautiful or both. It's like the old Yiddish saying, "All brides are beautiful," or the variation, "All babies are beautiful." But they're not.

Old 02-04-2008, 10:44 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,462,852 times
Ebony looks a lot like my latest addition - torn ears and all.

Once I was able to scrub her well and get some good nutrition in her, her coat looked better. After a while, lots of the scars faded and she started to look "normal" - a lot less scary-looking.

It just takes time. Once Ebony is in her new home, those rough edges will soften up and she'll look like any other cuddle-lump!

Keep up the good work Teddie - I love to hear the success stories!

Old 02-04-2008, 10:49 PM

620 posts, read 1,772,410 times
Those dogs are all adorable! I'm absolutely loving Fizz's underbite.

Old 02-04-2008, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
Ebony looks a lot like my latest addition - torn ears and all.

Once I was able to scrub her well and get some good nutrition in her, her coat looked better. After a while, lots of the scars faded and she started to look "normal" - a lot less scary-looking.

It just takes time. Once Ebony is in her new home, those rough edges will soften up and she'll look like any other cuddle-lump!

Keep up the good work Teddie - I love to hear the success stories!
Thank you riveree.

The sad thing is that's all from living in her foster home. She plays so hard that is the end result. Nothing mean about it.

Ziggy, one of our past bullies that we had for 3+ years, was placed with a foster and was so happy he'd skid on the cement and had scabs on his underside.

Ebony lives with so many other dogs it's constand play and she always has scratches from it. She is one dog I just don't see getting placed, ever.
Here is her description on our site:
Quote:
Ebony is a very sweet and well behaved pitbull that was found as a stray in Oak Cliff. She stayed in our front yard all day in the rain by the window, apparently waiting for someone to let her in, which I did once I got home. She is an adult dog and appears to have had several litters of puppies. She is very at ease with strangers, is good with dogs that don't challenge her but is alpha with those that do. She is great on a leash, unless she sees a squirrel but then she just has to be told no and she doesn't pull any more. So far she seems to be house trained even though she had a chain wired around her neck when she was found, which made us think she was chained outside.
She's such a doll.

Old 02-04-2008, 11:44 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,462,852 times
That description is much like my Dubh - she was used as a breeder by someone, then dumped on the street. She's about 2yrs old. No socialization beyond dogs, she didn't even care much for us (humans) at first. Had NO indoor experience (was scared to death at first), didn't recognize toys, TV, nothing.

On paper, Dubh would sound pretty hopeless, but dogs are resilient. She's come around leaps and bounds in the last few months. We still have a long way to go, but that's okay.

Ebony might settle down once she's in the right setting, don't you think?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs