Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 05:15 PM

1,257 posts, read 4,577,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddieXRuxpin View Post
None got adopted, but we did get appliations. We did three homechecks,two test runs (they get to keep the dog over the week end after they check out). The city didn't adopt out any dogs.
It seems rather difficult to find them home. Maybe I should hang around our local shelter a bit more often? Except pitbull, all other dogs were adopted out pretty fast at my friend's shelter. The shelter actually caught fire recently. The community came out in force and all their dogs (~80 of them) found foster homes in a day. Well, at least, all your dogs are in good hands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2008, 06:55 PM

692 posts, read 3,856,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LingLing View Post
It seems rather difficult to find them home. Maybe I should hang around our local shelter a bit more often? Except pitbull, all other dogs were adopted out pretty fast at my friend's shelter. The shelter actually caught fire recently. The community came out in force and all their dogs (~80 of them) found foster homes in a day. Well, at least, all your dogs are in good hands.
Wow 80 dogs placed in foster homes! For me that's pretty amazing.

We are run off of volunteers and fosters. So our dogs don't go home the same day which turns a lot of people off. The $150 adoption fee turns them away too. Which I don't get. The neuter alone costs more than that; when you factor in the shots, microchip, upkeeping and if they get sick. That's a whole heck of a lot more than $150. Although the people that can't afford the adoption fee don't really need a dog imo.. That's nothing when you have to rush your dog into the emergency vet. Idk

Old 06-15-2008, 08:14 PM

1,257 posts, read 4,577,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddieXRuxpin View Post
Although the people that can't afford the adoption fee don't really need a dog imo..
You are absolutely right!!!

Old 06-23-2008, 06:12 PM

Default 6/21 Adoption

I thought I'd start this out with a big nosed HELLOOOOoooooooooooo from Britches. He was the only dog for the first hour of the adoption so I took pictures on one of his potty breaks. Silly boy. He's getting to be a huge pig dog! Never did grow out of that. And yes that is a pink paw printed harness..he's grown out of Teddie's Nylon harness (it was only a matter of time) so this was out substitue for the day. Everyone asked about this little GIRL...I'm getting him a new one some time this week. Look at those pretty white teeth!

Silly boy Mocha jumped into his foster moms car that morning ready to come up to the adoption. We hadn't seen him in a while and he WANTED to come up and play. He had a fun day with us; didn't seem to like the camera noises though. lol
One ear down, one ear up

No EARS!

Then when fosters started showing up this girl was dropped off. She was pulled form the pound this week. Set to be euthanized now we have her in a foster home where she will be socialized around other dogs and people; both male and female. When I looked at her teeth I had her set at about 5-6 months. Loosing puppy teeth and has about half of her adult teeth. She looks like she's got tumors on her underside which will be checked out soon. She's a realy sweet heart and already had people lining up to see her. She's go pretty fast.
This was her "after bath" plotting evil face

But once she was outside in the warm sunshine she was good. Still afriad of me, but came pretty close.

Skin, bones and was covered in flea dirt with some type of black tar gunk

You can see her hip bones in this picture

Another one of our fosters had to come to pick up a dog that was brought back (long story) and was bringing two others with her. We had already closed and it was just a few volunteers left. I stayed behind because I have a key and didn't want to leave without locking the doors, not knowing when she would get there, so I started cleaning. A lady came in to see Peanut the Chinese Crested/Shih Tzu mix that our foster was bringing. The weird part was she left her dog (pure bred powder puff) with us to go get something to eat. I was fine with it because we only had two dogs there and we were closed. I just found it weird and funny at the same time..I wouldn't walk into a rescue, not knowing the people, and just leave my dog there. So me being me I took pictures of her dog and she came back in and we talked for an hour or so. All about her dog and foods for her dog who has allergies.

Her meeting Britches (He wanted to play so bad, but he's too big)

Then Peanut arrived fashionable late

and they loved each other!

Lucky came back too. (rollseyes) He started having stress diarrhea and they just couldn't deal with it since they're gone at work. He had no health problems and wasn't/isn't sick. He was in a new environment, new food, people, two other dogs. Now he's back at his fosters and is fine.

*Allfinished*

Old 06-23-2008, 06:38 PM

751 posts, read 2,482,202 times
People make no sense to me. When people go out of town, they get upset stomachs due to change of food and water and are even warned about ti in some situations. But someone who just adopted a dog doesn't expect the same thing to happen to the dog? Ignorance must be bliss, maybe I should try it someday.

Old 07-01-2008, 03:12 PM

Wow! I haven't been on here and it looks like I've missed quite a bit. Even some new members with adorable fur kids.
Where do I even start when it comes to the adoption this past weekend? Saturday I got there a little early and set Britches up in the very best crate (right next to the door) there is no way he could be missed when he's the first dog you see when you walk in. Shortly after when one of our other fosters showed I left with her and went off to Dallas Animal Services. * shoots self in foot*
Now; I've pulled dogs from them before since they moved to the bigger shelter, but I left holding my tears so I didn't look like a huge sissy. This new shelter holds over 400+ large dogs, another section for smaller dogs and then a good few hundred cats and kittens. I went with "D" (I wont put her name in here just cause) to help since she does this on a regular basis. We get calls and emails full of he "do list"; the dogs that have a set number of hours left before they are euthanized. We ended up pulling four smaller dogs, knowing they will get adopted with in a short amount of time. As sad as that is it comes down to who you can save, but also who can you get adopted back out.
The number of faught pits, abandoned and negelcted puppies, sick cats, and dogs struggling to survive was beyond my state of mind. This shelter euthanizes between 80 and 100 pets a day. A DAY! The fact I don't/wont volunteer with this shelter breaks my heart. All I could do was pet or scratch their heads, blow kisses, and tell them what such great babies they were. It was miserable. On top of that seeing people drop off a healthy pet (a pit of all dogs when there are a good 250 out of the 400+ that are pits) that is terrified I about lashed out on them. Instead I stood back and kept my mouth shut. Ugh.
To get to the better part of the day..
My ALL time favorite at this adoption was a Lab/Pitty mix named Sasha. She has been with a foster I know well for 1 1/2 years recovering from demodectic mange. I'd heard all about her, but had never seen her before. She was a stray and picked up off the street when she was about 6 months old. Completely bald and pink from the mange. Now she has a gorgeous chocolaty coat and an outstanding perosnality! It was love at first sight. She made me smile all day long once I was back from DAS.

There is a Dirty Dogz next door to us and I know the girl that works there. I've taken her drinks, She lets me use some of the grooming stuff there on our rescues, and we talk all the time. Well I've always been to busy to go over and see her English Bull dog, Cara short for caremel, up close and play with her. So after I got back from DAS I went over and played with her a good 20 minutes. She's a complete clown in a super goofy body. She loves her mommy though! That's a fact lol
Watching her mama

Lupita is new with us. She was recently picked up off the street. Still coming out of her shell so I don't know her real personality. I know by next week she'll be a silly, outgoing, energy crazed pup.

I wasn't able to get pictures of everyone we pulled, but three out of four...
This is Ruben an adult male Chihuahua with a hilarious personality. The picture makes him look rather mean, but he isn't.

Godiva a little female Chihuahua with a princess inside; just waiting to burst through.

And Marcus, which we named after my mothers past Dachshund. We're not sure what he is, but his foster thinks Coton de Tulear mix..so I'm going more with Coton de Tulear/Dachshund mix. lol I had to hold him while my sister took his picture... He is a wiggle bum if I've ever seen one! When ever you hold him he seems to go into a (((I WUV YOU))) state...Although we did pull him from death so maybe it is a real state? lol

Oh Darla was there today. She is the mama of one of the litters that passed from Parvo. Poor girl was a fantastic mother and only wanted to do what was best. She loves all humans and every dog she comes in contact with.

Some of the bigger excitement happened right as we were returning from the shelter. Three volunteers caught two loose dogs in our parking lot. Of course no collars or info, but were very nice! They were clean, had just had their nails clipped, and were well fed. We knew they were owned. We posted limited information signs and about an hour after we had closed (My sister, myself, and another volunteer stayed late) two men came in. The girl from Dirty Dogz knows them and knew for a fact the adult was theirs. The other was a dog they were dog sitting, but the owner never came back. They were going to turn her into the city the next day. After a long lecture they returned home with their dog and we now have the younger one in foster.
Here is Mimi the adult Lab/Pit

And now renamed Trixie the younger female; she's a realy spit fire!

But the biggest, most exciting part of the day was when I was getting ready to leave. I brought Teddie in to meet Lucky (who if I didn't say last week) had been returned. He's also a Shih Tzu and around the same age as Ted also a male. They LOVED each other! I'm thinking about taking Ted up to stay next weekend and they can play all day.
Lucky alseep in his favorite spot; flat on his belly with his smooshed face in the corner of a crate.

Then Ted came in and they met

War danced

And went wild!

Two more..

And a video of them playing like wild children

Old 07-01-2008, 03:24 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,279,740 times
Teddie, it is a heartbreaker for sure to go to a shelter. I just can't do it unless specifically called on, and then I have to put the blinders on and go directly where I'm supposed to (or there could be consequences I can't deal with!)

Thank you again for giving your time and energy to the adoption days. I know it feels like you're fighting the tide, but you're doing a great thing...big pat on the back from Arkansas. Hang in there, girl, we always look forward to your updates!

Old 07-01-2008, 04:36 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,477,658 times
TeddieX, I, too would like to thank you for what you are doing to help out animals. People like you are in my thoughts...Every time I see one of the beauties you pulled from the shelter, I feel like I need to adopt it!

It is indeed hard to go to a shelter. I will never buy or adopt from anywhere else. Just look at those beautiful faces you've saved!! You are doing a wonderful job ...

Thank you, thank you, and thank you!!!! ~ And Sasha is just gorgeous~

Old 07-01-2008, 05:41 PM

960 posts, read 1,689,446 times
Thanks for the new update and pictures Teddie! Thanks for all you do to help. I probably wouldn't have been able to keep a stiff upper lip at the pound. Darla is my favorite out of this group. It's sad that none of her puppies survived. She just seems like a really easy going, sweet dog.
As always, my wish is for all of them is to find great families.

Old 07-01-2008, 11:57 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,476,822 times
I'm continually amazed Teddie at your strength through all of this, you have a special gift to be able to do what you do .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs