Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2011, 12:49 AM

29,223 posts, read 22,434,350 times

Advertisements

A friend of mine just introduced me to his new dog, Chet.

Chet is about 3 now. He's mostly Border Collie, but has a blockier head that looks Aussie to me, as do his ears. My friend is Chet's 3rd owner- Chet was rescued twice before.

His first owner got him as a puppy, and kept him for about a year. The guy had to give him up because he was leaving Idaho, and couldn't take Chet with him. He contacted a young cowboy who had just lost a good dog, and the cowboy, a young guy, took Chet as a working dog.

The cowboy lost his job about 9 months ago, and the pickin's got very slim for him. He couldn't afford to feed Chet any more, and very reluctantly gave him over to a lady who specializes in Border rescues who lives in Boise.

My friend Jim owned one of our dogs for 15 years, and they loved each other to pieces. She finally had to be put down due to age and cancer, and Jim hasn't owned another dog since then... it's been about 7 years now.

He knows the rescue gal, and she called him up the day after she got Chet. She knew he was the right dog, and Jim was the right guy. And boy, howdy! She was 100% right!

Chet's a great dog. He's very socialized, friendly,and very responsive as a working dog. He was a little skinny at first from light rations, but he was never abused or neglected. Best of all, he acts a lot like Jim's old dog Gretchen. Their bond is complete after only a month or so, and he's already gained back the weight he lost.

Great dog with 3 great owners in succession. I would like Chet for my dog, so if Jim ever has to let him go, I'd be very happy to take him. It won't ever happen though. Jimmy's got him chipped and tagged now, and Chet will live a long and happy life.

It just goes to show there are a lot of very fine dogs who are a victim of circumstances and have to be surrendered for no faults of their own. It also shows how it happens right now for people too- lots of very good folks have had to give up their dogs, as sorrowful as it is. Chet's a very lucky woofer!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2011, 05:04 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,184,895 times
Thanks for a good story. This economy is sadly separating many a dog lover from their companion. Those of us who can, need to step up and care for these innocent victims of awful circumstances.

Old 12-02-2011, 05:31 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,383,843 times
Great story and a great way to start the weekend! Thanks for posting.

Old 12-02-2011, 05:35 AM

19,579 posts, read 9,584,632 times
So GOOD to hear. Hoping it lasts a long time. Happy Holidays to all.

Old 12-02-2011, 08:43 AM

25,862 posts, read 16,574,106 times
Great story.

Old 12-02-2011, 11:45 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,059,530 times
what a GREAT story!! thanks for sharing!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs