Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2016, 07:59 AM

60 posts, read 84,811 times

Advertisements

Hello to all,

Does anyone know what construction is going on in the Garners Ferry area? I see a lot of work being done behind the Walgreen's and CVS; then they have drained pond near Trotter Road also with a lot of construction vehicles. Can we expect new businesses or is this just work to improve the infrastructure of the area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2016, 08:25 AM

1,555 posts, read 1,843,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevinm View Post
Hello to all,

Does anyone know what construction is going on in the Garners Ferry area? I see a lot of work being done behind the Walgreen's and CVS; then they have drained pond near Trotter Road also with a lot of construction vehicles. Can we expect new businesses or is this just work to improve the infrastructure of the area?
A new neighborhood that had been planned for awhile is finally kicking off after getting approval.

Old 04-06-2016, 06:58 AM

8,223 posts, read 13,338,852 times
Does anyone know the name or have a link to the master plan of that development? From what I recall it will be quite large and certainly an anchor in SE. I still feel that SE Columbia is one of the most underated areas in the Metro.. and I don't know why. Before someone says "schools" let me differentiate between SE Columbia and Lower Richland. Two totally different areas though they are adjacent to one another.. I would say SE Columbia begins at the Rosewood@ Ft Jackson intersection and runs south to Pineview Road @ Garners Ferry where this development is located. Everything from there out is considered Lower Richland. That said most of that area is zoned for Dreher and AC Flora schools.. which are the best in Richland 1 and ranked fairly well in the state also.....

Old 04-06-2016, 07:32 AM

1,555 posts, read 1,843,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Does anyone know the name or have a link to the master plan of that development? From what I recall it will be quite large and certainly an anchor in SE. I still feel that SE Columbia is one of the most underated areas in the Metro.. and I don't know why. Before someone says "schools" let me differentiate between SE Columbia and Lower Richland. Two totally different areas though they are adjacent to one another.. I would say SE Columbia begins at the Rosewood@ Ft Jackson intersection and runs south to Pineview Road @ Garners Ferry where this development is located. Everything from there out is considered Lower Richland. That said most of that area is zoned for Dreher and AC Flora schools.. which are the best in Richland 1 and ranked fairly well in the state also.....
This is so far the best I can find.

:: Welcome to the City of Columbia ::

Old 04-06-2016, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSUfan View Post
This is so far the best I can find.

:: Welcome to the City of Columbia ::
OK..Yeah I did find this about Burnside Farms

http://www.columbiasc.gov/depts/plan...ms_streets.pdf

According to the Planning Commission approval its going to be a 300+ lot subdivision. Mcguinn Homes is one.. or maybe the only builder...though they don't look like they have started to market homes quite yet... This is just a section of the property so when it is built out it could have well over 500 units if it builds as entirely as residential. I was hoping to see a mix of housing and retail here.. Ideally like a smaller version of the Village of the Sandhills.. Maybe they are doing it in stages and will announce future section later....

Old 04-06-2016, 06:07 PM

2,130 posts, read 2,270,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
I agree that it's underrated. I've always liked the southeast area a whole lot more than other metro areas. It feels more connected to downtown and you're a straight shot to it. When I lived on S. Bull street in college, we use to ride out that way every now and again.

Old 04-27-2016, 09:50 AM

There are a lot of Sold commercial real estate signs all over this area. Could we expect the Dairy Queen to be coming to the SE Columbia region near Trotter Road?

Old 04-27-2016, 11:15 AM

21,020 posts, read 27,221,764 times
I could see additional supermarkets coming to the Garner's Ferry Road trade area. Publix and Kroger Marketplace are possible.

Old 04-27-2016, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithgn View Post
I agree that it's underrated. I've always liked the southeast area a whole lot more than other metro areas. It feels more connected to downtown and you're a straight shot to it. When I lived on S. Bull street in college, we use to ride out that way every now and again.

I guess I am biased because I lived down there. But when I did I thoroughly enjoyed it. I could get to the NE, Downtown, or Fairgrounds/Stadium in 15 minutes. There was plenty of shopping in terms of your basic needs and you were never bogged down in traffic. I-77 could carry you to Bluff Rd. Shop Rd if you wanted to bypass Garners Ferry/Devine Street ride into town.. but in the evenings and on weekends.. it was a non issue. There are still some large tracts of land around existing subdivisions between Garners Ferry and Leesburg Road that can fill in and many scattered infill lots in places like Cedar Terrace and the lower end of Rosewood.

I suspect that Columbia is a three legged stool.. NE, NW, and Lexington and SE will continue to lag. That in addition to the fact that many parts of it are considered Industrial (Shop and Bluff) which affects in negatively along with being in the shadows of the business side of Fort Jackson.. I used to hear tanks shooting their cannons sometimes at night and all kind of War Games occurred in the woods along Leesburg Rd.. Maybe folks are afraid that the Russians still have old missiles pointed at Ft Jackson so they don't want to be on that side of town...

Old 05-26-2016, 07:25 AM

I do see the Mod Pizza place coming to the strip in front of Target.

The dirt being spread along G Ferry near Trotter Road seems to make for some interesting construction discussion. Is it for the infrastructure of the city or is there new commercial properties being developed in that region?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area