Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2019, 07:47 AM

60 posts, read 84,896 times

Advertisements

Not really GF but the old Ruby Tuesday's besides BWW has been torn down. Anyone know of the new plans?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2019, 08:17 AM

333 posts, read 214,694 times
A while back it was reported that a 3 storefront center with a dental center and fast food chain there.

https://www.thestate.com/news/local/...223571615.html

Old 10-02-2019, 07:25 AM

60 posts, read 84,896 times
Further down the road (on Beltline), I see the former Golden Chick is becoming a Dairy Queen. (I thought that it was supposed to come to Garners Ferry - along with the Cookout).

Meanwhile they are tearing up and repaving the roads along Garners Ferry.

Why hasn't the old Ryan's building in front of the Wal-Mart been repurposed. The building is an eyesore!

Old 10-02-2019, 09:01 AM

8,227 posts, read 13,345,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevinm View Post
Further down the road (on Beltline), I see the former Golden Chick is becoming a Dairy Queen. (I thought that it was supposed to come to Garners Ferry - along with the Cookout).

Why hasn't the old Ryan's building in front of the Wal-Mart been repurposed. The building is an eyesore!

Garners Ferry is such a hodgepodge of new business and development and old remnants of its past of being an old US highway with various light industrial businesses, gas stations, and the like dotting it. The city has done a "plan" for the area around the Whole Foods/Cross Hill Shopping Center. .But there hasn't been a corridor study of sorts for GF from there down to at least Burnside Farms development @Pineview Road.. You have positive redevelopment like the Wood Hill Mall redevelopment event the Columbia East shopping center is being repurposed and infilled, Library, SE Park .. but you also have Cedar Terrace Shopping Center and all the "randomness" of various types of other sheet metal clad structures old convenience stores and various other substandard businesses here and there. Several large undeveloped parcels span the area as well.. Not to mention the vacant Ryans. I thought Burnside was going to have more retail fronting GF.. Last I looked a Tractor Supply company opened up in there next to the Walgreens..SMH

Last edited by Woodlands; 10-02-2019 at 09:44 AM..

Old 10-02-2019, 10:42 AM

1,124 posts, read 924,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevinm View Post

Just wait, it’ll probably because another Asian buffet. Like two others did on Garners Ferry. Lol. As long as it’s got a purpose I suppose. They need to revamp the whole shopping center right there anchored by Walmart. I’m thinking entirely new facades. But at the very least a fresh coat of paint and new parking lot.

Old 10-14-2019, 08:19 AM

Default Burnside Farms Modifications

I saw this on the Planning Commissions Website.. Burnside Farms down on Garners Ferry and Pineview Roads was supposed to be the SE Version of Village of the Sandhills.. The owner articulated how not only has VOS not materialized but their project will likely not realize the level of commercial development proposed.. So it seems they are reducing/modifying the urban/mixed use concept in favor of more single family housing and potential multi family....Its a big report.. but they do a good job of justifying the modifications.. At any rate it shows what was originally proposed in 2005 with a proposed built out of 2011 which was more than ambitious.. So its likely be more of the same.. a large subdivision with retail that surrounds it on the main corridors with multi family sprinkled throughout...I hope the 200 plus households didn't buy into it thinking they would have a nice walkable " Bull Street" type neighborhood.. because it seems to be going in a different direction... One of the ask is to allow auto service businesses in the development.. which will complement the tractor supply company that is already there.....

https://columbiasc.gov/depts/plannin...0_Burnside.pdf

Old 10-14-2019, 03:43 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,559,772 times
So many developers failed to realize how the internet would revolutionize retail.

Old 10-14-2019, 05:09 PM

177 posts, read 122,098 times
Well a big part of sand hills issues is simply the rent prices. I have talked to business owners who have left sand hills and looked at Killian simply because it’s cheaper. Kahn needs to lower his prices on rent he is killing his own project.

On a side note a really large LAN / Internet cafe would probably do fantastic in Sandhills. Harbison has one and I hear it stays busy.

Not to mention some more night life options would also help. They just have to be proper businesses and not just liquor spouts that cause all the issues around the county.

Old 10-15-2019, 08:41 AM

518 posts, read 435,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docka View Post
Well a big part of sand hills issues is simply the rent prices. I have talked to business owners who have left sand hills and looked at Killian simply because it’s cheaper. Kahn needs to lower his prices on rent he is killing his own project.

On a side note a really large LAN / Internet cafe would probably do fantastic in Sandhills. Harbison has one and I hear it stays busy.

Not to mention some more night life options would also help. They just have to be proper businesses and not just liquor spouts that cause all the issues around the county.
I didn't even realize that Internet Cafe's existed. Who goes to those? Only people that don't have access to internet at Home? Is it for gaming like the LAN cafe's of the early 2000's?

Would that cause more issues with the kids that already have curfews at Sandhills?

Seems all the Night Life spots in the NE end up sketchy or failing quickly. Are there any good ones that aren't just bars?

Still a lot of Sandhills hasn't been occupied since they opened, or has been vacant for many years now. I still miss Wich'Wich

Old 10-15-2019, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
So many developers failed to realize how the internet would revolutionize retail.

I have always been suspect of that VOS style development at this location.. Seemed a bit far out and not enough development in the immediate area to make it a retail destination (like VOS should be) Maybe with more residential and multi family and less retail commercial.. it will allow for some of the existing under utilized commercial centers and parcels to potentially be redeveloped in this corridor which is slowly occurring.. Seems like a lot of multi family is being proposed in this corridor to hopefully replace some of the existing aging apartment complexes which may force them to rehab/redevelop themselves... I still like SE Columbia.. it just needs some better coordinated planning to help pull some of its finer qualities and locational benefits together...

It is certainly the step child of the City right now.. with the emphasis being Downtown (Vista, Main Street, and Five Points) followed by NOMA, then North Columbia (Eau Claire)....SE Columbia is the youngest of the brood.. not the most neglected nor the most problematic.. but certainly.. politically its at the bottom...That, in part, is because.. of it being bifurcated between City and County (SE Columbia vs Lower Richland) the area suffers from that identity crisis and most of the residents in what is considered SE Columbia are not motivated, by crisis or concern, to rally for more attention.. The only neighborhood that sounds the alarm occasionally is Cedar Terrace.. not the heavy hitters like Kings Grant, Yorkshire, Woodhill Estates(VA Hospital area) folks who are likely OK with how things are as long is it doesn't impact them with more traffic getting out of their neighborhoods....or new multifamily buildings encroaching on their developments as they simply like the location for being ... well quiet and close to other areas for shopping and a direct shot to CAE to fly to Europe or Florida... (plug for American Airlines new route to MIA...) LOL

The other player here is Ft Jackson.. but they are more connected to Forest Acres via Forest Drive and Rosewood via Ft Jackson Blvd thus more physically oriented towards those areas.. I think their Leesburg Rd entrance closed several decades ago....

Last edited by Woodlands; 10-15-2019 at 10:19 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area