Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 12:06 AM

57 posts, read 209,634 times

Advertisements

If you go west toward Cotopaxi, do you lose the "Banana Belt" weather effects? I know as you go up in altitude, it will get colder...but how far west can you go before the climate gets more severe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2010, 12:42 PM

486 posts, read 1,497,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudelle View Post
If you go west toward Cotopaxi, do you lose the "Banana Belt" weather effects? I know as you go up in altitude, it will get colder...but how far west can you go before the climate gets more severe?
yep, you got it - Cotopaxi gets more snow and cold than Canon City/Florence Penrose. I have friends who live out there and they struggle to get out of their driveways in the winter due to snow and mud. But i have lived in Canon for seven years and had to shovel my driveway like twice, but it wasn't even that bad.

That said, if you live anywhere in a mountain area of Colorado, you will have less trouble with snow if you live on a SOUTH facing property - the sun at this high elevation does wonders to melt the snow away very quickly. If you live on a north facing slope.... winter (and several feet of snow) will last 6 months or better.

Canon City is down in a valley (canyon entrance) and protected by mountains on 3 sides so the climate is perfection, the best anywhere in Colorado. but once you drive ten minutes outside of CC and go up substantially in elevation, you will get worse winters, but still quite decent compared to other areas in Colorado.

Old 04-06-2010, 02:21 PM

18,729 posts, read 33,402,036 times
Why isn't real estate more expensive in Canon CIty- isn't it commutable to Colorado Springs?

Old 04-07-2010, 09:49 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,478,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Why isn't real estate more expensive in Canon CIty- isn't it commutable to Colorado Springs?
The commute is 45 miles over CO 115, a mostly 2 lane road with a few (not near enough) passing lanes and quite a bit of traffic. It is a pretty dangerous road even in good weather. It actually gets up in the foothills and get pretty snowy and icy at times in winter. Though I have some friends in Canon that make the drive often, it's not a commute I would want to make. Going to Pueblo is much easier--4 lane all the way and much fewer winter weather problems--but then you're in Pueblo, which does not have a lot of the amenities found in Colorado Springs. That doesn't bother me, but it would bother lots of people who are used to "the big city."

Old 04-13-2010, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
good question... Jazzlover gave some good answers. Hwy 115 is only 2 lanes most of the way and it is a curvy, hilly road in many areas. A lot of deer on the road and not the best in the winter. But, i do know several people who make the commute from Canon City to Colorado Springs, and have been doing it for years.

As to your question - why isn't the real estate more expensive in Canon City....
another good question, which i often scratch my head over (given that i own real estate in CC!)
It is just one of those very rare pockets in Colorado that is close to the mountains but the real estate never saw the dramatic increases or even moderate increases like most other places in Colorado.
Perhaps because of all the prisons in Fremont County... but that brings good jobs and stability to the economy...
perhaps because of South Canon being a Superfund Site... but those properties in Lincoln Park are the most sought after and expensive in Canon City!
So... i don't really know why the real estate isn't more expensive, but, wow can you get a deal here! especially these days, because even though the market in Canon City never got inflated, it is still going down, down, down.
It is truly a buyers market here, and your money will go far in Canon City.

Old 06-15-2010, 11:06 AM

10 posts, read 72,276 times
What are the schools like in CC? Is it a good place for young children? My husband and I are looking to relocate from California and really like the climate of CC but would like to know if it would be a great place for a young family? We love the idea of a small town atmosphere.

Old 06-24-2010, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrig777 View Post
What are the schools like in CC? Is it a good place for young children? My husband and I are looking to relocate from California and really like the climate of CC but would like to know if it would be a great place for a young family? We love the idea of a small town atmosphere.
Yes Canon City is a wonderful place to raise children - it has a small town atmosphere and no gang activity. The kids here seem really innocent compared to other places i've lived LOL!

The Parks and Rec district does a lot of kids rec programs and there are wonderful play parks for the kids here. Great elementary schools, very nice highschool and middle school. Many kid freindly restaurants and cute ice cream joints.

Old 06-25-2010, 03:50 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,273,450 times
I haven't been to CC in 12 years. Very rural area but holds the great attraction of Royal Gorge. It also is home to one of the largest Federal prison systems in the country!

Old 06-25-2010, 05:52 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,478,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2H (ComingtoHouston) View Post
I haven't been to CC in 12 years. Very rural area but holds the great attraction of Royal Gorge. It also is home to one of the largest Federal prison systems in the country!
Not accurate. The Federal Supermax Prison is near Florence. All of the rest of the correctional facilities in and around CaƱon City are state facilities.

Old 07-10-2010, 11:39 AM

1 posts, read 5,825 times
I too am wishing to return to Canyon City again to do some river rafting. I have been most of the Rivers in Colorado and some in Utah.

I was up in Brown's Canyon, not too far from Salida the 5th of June. The water was really fun and the rapids were awesome! So, it's now a dream to go through the canyon too.

Maybe, next summer if I can get my friend to go with me!

Thank you,
Leslie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado