Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 08:38 PM

1,394 posts, read 4,170,930 times

Advertisements

My daughter and I plan on moving to Cañon City this summer, we will be checking out places in June as soon as she is done with school.
Is it better to find a home to buy, or a home to rent starting out??? I also need info on schools, my daughter will be in 7th grade in the fall, if you have anything that you could share with me, you can pm me or post it on here.
Do any of you have pictures from Cañon City, or stories to tell about the city??
The reason we want to move to Cañon City is because we love the mountains, and my daughters teacher lived in Cañon City growing up, she still has family there, and loves it. She highly recommends us finding true peace and happiness there.
We were there once on vacation, it has been a few years, and loved it, and when her teacher said she lived there it was an added plus because she is a very good teacher.
Thanks to anyone that may be able to offer any help or advice, have a good night and Happy Easter!!!! Yorkie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2007, 12:00 AM

1,312 posts, read 7,914,433 times
Hey Yorkie Mom - check your PMs in a bit!

Old 04-06-2007, 01:12 AM

Thank you for your help, if you have any more to offer pm me or post it here, thanks, Yorkie

Old 04-06-2007, 11:37 AM

431 posts, read 2,793,310 times
Hi, a Canon Tiger here. Lived here most of my life and my hubby is a native Canon person. I was not raised nor live in Canon City proper but in an old area called Lincoln Park, so named when Pres. Lincoln was assassinated. Canon has some interesting history if that is your thing and nice place to live. Some people have said Canon is clicky and yea some people are but for the most part are friendly and helpful. When I and my husband went to HS we knew or at least knew everyone's face. It has grown so much this is no longer true. -----Go to ----pcsfremontcounty.com--this website has been put together to draw military personal families that are being moved to Fort Carson in Colorado Springs. Telling you so you understand the website more. But it is a good place to go to get acquainted with Canon and Fremont County that surrounds Canon City. If you have more questions let me know. Try to answer or find the answer if I can. Your friend and teacher. What yr did she graduate from Canon? If you wish to give her name please do on private message. Might know her or my kids or my grand-kids might. We all graduated from CCHS.

Old 04-11-2007, 01:49 AM

I have a meeting with the teacher next Monday, so I can find out more information, thank you for your help.
I can't wait to get out there, we are getting 8 to 10 inches of snow today that will last until 7 pm tonight, no travel is reccomended, where is the warm weather, it sure isn't here. Thanks again. Yorkie

Old 04-12-2007, 09:48 AM

431 posts, read 2,793,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkie_Mom View Post
I have a meeting with the teacher next Monday, so I can find out more information, thank you for your help.
I can't wait to get out there, we are getting 8 to 10 inches of snow today that will last until 7 pm tonight, no travel is reccomended, where is the warm weather, it sure isn't here. Thanks again. Yorkie
We are cold and damp today. Cannot believe this damp stuff. Wish it would snow, rain do something. Colorado is not supposed to have humidity that is this high. My bod does not like it. Boy this stuff goes right thru you. Glad I don't have this all the time.

Old 04-12-2007, 10:38 PM

29 posts, read 261,667 times
im gonn be real frank bout this:
youre out of your mind.

canon city (fremont county as a whole for that matter) is a dump. I have lived in florence (approx 7 miles from canon) for the past 17 years (against my will, of course) and I can tell you this place is a dead end dump with no opportunity. No one really likes the place. Most of us just dont have a choice. The only reason ANYONE ever has or will move here is because of how "low the cost of living is" compared wherever they moved from. I swear. Everyone who moves here does because its CHEAP.
the place is boring. absolutely nothing to do. the place can be extremely racist (havent u heard that the KKK RAN fremont county and canon city clear into the 1960s?) so unless youre a white anglo saxon protestant be prepared. there's also a thriving goth/emo culture (figures) which really bugs me... but hey thats just me. theres also not too many jobs. my old man has to commute to pueblo a lot of ppl in the area actually have to commute all the way to colorado springs. its insane. there simply arent enough jobs here for everyone.

Colorado has some cool places dont get me wrong but its places like fremont county that give the whole state a bad rep. plz heed my word and avoid this dump at all costs you will regret it i mean once ure in theres no getting out. (our high school principal last year at an assembaly told the entire school that they should strive to get out of fremont county after they graduate (which btw i will hee hee)) that is pretty pathetic when the greatest aspiration of us kids is to get out of here like its some death trap dungeon or something and yet so true.

My point is that fremont county is not a nice place. some people think that if they go to a smaller community everyone will be friendly and touchy feely (yuck) but in all acutality the people in canon can be very hateful cold and unfriendly, and try dealing with this: in a small community, everyone knows each other so reputations build and theres no getting away from them. im serious.

so all in all, stay as far away from here as possible. springs is nice, greeley is cool fort collins grand junction ANYWHERE. but not here. no way

Old 04-13-2007, 01:40 AM

1,312 posts, read 7,914,433 times
[quote=Te amo no puedo pararme;572370] im gonn be real frank bout this: youre out of your mind. canon city (fremont county as a whole) is a dump. I have lived....our high school principal last year at an assembaly told the entire school that they should strive to get out of fremont county after they graduate....[quote]

I'm curious as to your age...and why you are there against your will...Huh. Prisons, Fremont County, disgruntled person that seems to HATE everything about the area. Makes one a little curious.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 04-15-2007 at 08:01 AM.. Reason: reduced quoted material to save space

Old 04-15-2007, 01:04 AM

All I can say is we need a town with low cost of living, here in Minnesota the wage increases didn't keep up with the jobs we were doing for the last 10 years, so we need to find something we can afford.
The mountains is what we are interested in, we are also white so we shouldn't have problems trying to fit in. I can also say we are down to earth, very nice and polite, and if people don't take to that, well we still have the mountains.
How can Cañon City be that bad of a town when my daughters teacher reccomended it??? She graduated from there. If someone can really give me good reasons not to move to a certain place and be able to back it up, I am willing to listen, but they have to be good reasons.
If anyone lives in Cañon City and would like to add their 2 cents worth in, please feel free, I think we need to hear the good along with any bad. So lets hear what you all have to say. Thanks, Yorkie

Old 04-15-2007, 01:28 AM

476 posts, read 2,318,268 times
COflower, Nadine, you know this area, I am Hispanic, is what this person ranting on about Canon City, Florence and that area about racists true? Will I be safe visiting there in a couple months? Nadine and COflower, you seem really nice and I trust what you say. Thanks for your input.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado