Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2007, 01:36 PM

22 posts, read 88,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountain girl 2337 View Post
I didn't mean it as a bad thing. I was giving my perspective. Don't take things so personal. Someone from a city should know what to expect. I like your town. Nevermind.......see what I mean????
Back-woodsy doesn't sound bad? Don't take it personal? I am one of back-woodsy people why would I or any other from here take it personally? We are not so protected and back-woodsy that we don't know when we have been insulted. We are a small town with 29,000 people in city proper and 46,000 in the surrounding county. Many are suburbs. We are not a tiny town and we are proud of our area. Biggest problem is people moving here that want to change it to a big city mentality. Now lets drop it and just choose your words better next time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2007, 05:53 PM

1,394 posts, read 4,172,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canontiger View Post
Backwoods? Kids sheltered? Aww---gee whiz maam --It that a bad thing???? Usen hicks are sure out of touch with the crime, no knowing your neighbor, knowing what our kids are doing, where they are. Being involve with them and the real educated smart people that don't live in our dumb backwood town. But I will say this. Born raised and lived here for 50yrs. Hot, sure has been for the last few yrs with the dought but the record high is 103 or there about. Maybe hits a 100, 3 or 4 days out of the yrs in normal yrs. I have seen exactly 1 mt lion and I live in those ranch areas, us backwood hicks use our heads about doing things to draw them in . During the dought when they were looking for food 2 came into the Canon area. None in Canon City proper. But then us backwood low class people don't know a lion if we see one. 5 summers, o'my that really makes you an expert. I don't think you need to make it 6. Would not want to expose you to us hicks too much. Mountaingirl???? Not bloody likely
Thanks for your post, it sounds like my kind of town, I guess I don't need to worry about fitting in, and as for my daughter, she has lead a sheltered life for going on 13 years, and I am very pround of it and proud of her.
I can't wait to get out there and settled in, we leave here on the 28th, and will arrive in 13 to 14 hours, depending on stops, I want to add that I will not change anything once I move, I want Cañon City as it is, and wouldn't change a thing, other then to say we are starting out fresh and new, and would like to make new friends, that are not the fakey kind, just normal simple folks. Thanks again for making us feel we would be right at home.

Old 05-19-2007, 06:34 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,139,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountain girl 2337 View Post
No one has seemed to mention that the population booms in the summers. Lots of tourists, raft guides, and bikers.
I'm considering the Canon City area...

I don't have anything against bikers, but I will go nuts if I have to put up with the noise bikes make. So, is Canon City a place where bikers congregate like Sturgis SD? Is there some connection to the prison element? Since I've mentioned it why are Canon City's rape and assault rates so high?

The property I'm considering is near the hogbacks just east of Skyline Drive. Is this city land overrun with motor bikes, off-road vehicles, etc? I'm concerned that peace and quiet will be nowhere to be found in the summers. Is this area primarily for hiking and mountain biking? Are there deer and other wildlife?

Thanks for any assistance!

Old 05-19-2007, 08:14 PM

431 posts, read 2,794,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
I'm considering the Canon City area...

I don't have anything against bikers, but I will go nuts if I have to put up with the noise bikes make. So, is Canon City a place where bikers congregate like Sturgis SD? Is there some connection to the prison element? Since I've mentioned it why are Canon City's rape and assault rates so high?

The property I'm considering is near the hogbacks just east of Skyline Drive. Is this city land overrun with motor bikes, off-road vehicles, etc? I'm concerned that peace and quiet will be nowhere to be found in the summers. Is this area primarily for hiking and mountain biking? Are there deer and other wildlife?

Thanks for any assistance!
Oh no, I don't think anymore than anywhere else. Cost of gas has more on bikes going to work, I notice. Especially if they communt. I love to ride bikes myself but I'm like you. Why in the dickens do they have to be so LOUD. And why do the riders that seem so proud of the racket they make, think everyone else wants to hear it, so they make sure they give the gas and rev it up? Actually up by the hogbacks is not a busy traffic place, if you are not where they go in to try their luck climbing them with jeeps, bikes etc. I don't believe. That has been the practice since I was a kid. Don't think it has changed much. But that is not all the hog backs, I don't think. You need to go into them to see where they are racing and climbing and stay away. I really have not messed around that area for yrs except to come down off of Skyline Drive. I am not sure anymore where you can get into them, other than there. Some one else asked that about the rapes etc. I don't think where ever that came from is correct. I read the paper and watch the news and I swear to God. There are some but most seem to be somewhere else. It just doesn't seem correct.

Old 05-22-2007, 08:21 AM

1 posts, read 3,402 times
Smile hog backs

wow, these messages take me back a few years.... My brothers and sister and some friends that lived on Allison went up and played all day on the hog backs.... what fun times, we thought it was adventerous because you might meet an escaped prisoner but heck we weren't scared! "Those were the days my friend, we thought they'd never end...."

Old 05-22-2007, 08:28 AM

431 posts, read 2,794,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CS-born in canon city View Post
wow, these messages take me back a few years.... My brothers and sister and some friends that lived on Allison went up and played all day on the hog backs.... what fun times, we thought it was adventerous because you might meet an escaped prisoner but heck we weren't scared! "Those were the days my friend, we thought they'd never end...."
Yea, I lived out in Lincoln Park as a kid and did not experience the hogbacks until I was dating. Pretty good lovers lane too.

Old 05-22-2007, 11:30 PM

I will be out there in 6 days!!!!! The time has gone so fast, and before I even know it I will be on the road. Maybe I will get lucky and run across some of you.
I will be driving a dark blue PT Cruiser, with a moon roof, and of couse from Minnesota, with tags in the back window and Dave Seyverson Ford where the lic is to be put at. So if you see me out your way, give me a honk, wave, or come and say hi, because I am a friendly person, and would love to get to know some of you, since I will be moving there. Thanks everyone for your help, see you soon. Yorkie

Old 05-25-2007, 09:32 PM

I am down to three days now, I did buy the PT Cruiser so if you see me please come and say hi. The days have went by fast, we put our house on the market today, the realtor says not to be suprised if it is sold by the time we come back for our things. I told him I hope that there is a SOLD sign out there when we pull up to our house.
I have quit smoking, it will be a week tomorrow, so it will be a new life for me once I get moved out there. I will see you all in three days, it will be the later part of the afternoon or around supper time that we will be pulling in. Thanks for all the help. Yorkie

Old 05-27-2007, 10:06 AM

Hello, I bet you can't tell that I am excited, I am down to one day, not even, because I will be leaving here at 3:00am so that way I can get out there before the roads get to crowded.
Looking forward to seeing you all, I will be there soon enough, have a great day!!!!!!!! Yorkie

Last edited by Yorkie_Mom; 05-27-2007 at 10:07 AM.. Reason: didn't hit the w hard enough

Old 05-27-2007, 10:20 AM

42 posts, read 201,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkie_Mom View Post
Hello, I bet you can't tell that I am excited, I am down to one day, not even, because I will be leaving here at 3:00am so that way I can get out there before the roads get to crowded.
Looking forward to seeing you all, I will be there soon enough, have a great day!!!!!!!! Yorkie
The hiways etc are crazy even our town. This is Memorial Weekend ya know. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado