Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 11:24 PM

1,394 posts, read 4,172,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadine View Post
Sure there are. Drive around there are some that are for sale by owner. In fact the small house next door will be up for sale come sometime in May. My neighbor is leaving, she recently got married and he is in Washington. It is a small home on an acre of land. Garage and another building. So I know they are no shortage of homes for sale. New and old.
Did you get the pm I sent you??? I sent you the maiden name of her teacher along with another question, so if you can check that out and send me a pm back on it. Thanks, Yorkie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2007, 12:02 PM

3 posts, read 15,265 times
We will be arriving there in a few weeks and I am very excited because this place ( Canon City ) seems so nice ..the climate and all...We are thinking of moving there within the year but I have to check it out first...Homes look great and in our price range...It is not too pleasant to hear this negative feedback , but everyone has an opinion..and until I see for myself I cannot really say anything about it ...except it looks greatto me as of now ! We are looking for a drier climate and we were in the Springs last November and I loved it ..but Canon City and Pueblo West can be quite different..It appears there is shopping.. Hospital etc ...so it is not isolated....anything more on the positvie side from any locals would help..

Old 04-27-2007, 01:52 PM

11 posts, read 30,417 times
Hi to all living or interested in Florence, Canon City, Salida, Buena Vista, Gunnison, Leadville areas.

These are the towns my wife and I are researching for probable retirement living in 1-2 more years. By then, land and home prices may have bottomed out.

A CHEAP place with both population and employment decline is fine with us. We like privacy and are not socializing types - we are inner-directed. Moral conservative WASP type, but not racists; friendly with all normal, moral types of Humans.

Leadville seems to be in the fastest decline, has low humity; but low population and high 10,152 ' altitude may not be so good. We had planned to live at 5,000 to 8,000 ft elevation. Why is this town in decline? Mines shutting down? other?

So far, we are probably favoring Gunnison, Salida and Canon City. Beautiful tall mountains, pines trees, hiking, wildlife viewing, remote living, low humidity, high sunshine are all pluses for us.

If any here know about these towns for retirement, please advise.

Thanks !

Peace and progress,

Brother Dave

Old 04-27-2007, 07:00 PM

431 posts, read 2,794,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Dave View Post
Hi to all living or interested in Florence, Canon City, Salida, Buena Vista, Gunnison, Leadville areas.

These are the towns my wife and I are researching for probable retirement living in 1-2 more years. By then, land and home prices may have bottomed out.

A CHEAP place with both population and employment decline is fine with us. We like privacy and are not socializing types - we are inner-directed. Moral conservative WASP type, but not racists; friendly with all normal, moral types of Humans.

Leadville seems to be in the fastest decline, has low humity; but low population and high 10,152 ' altitude may not be so good. We had planned to live at 5,000 to 8,000 ft elevation. Why is this town in decline? Mines shutting down? other?

So far, we are probably favoring Gunnison, Salida and Canon City. Beautiful tall mountains, pines trees, hiking, wildlife viewing, remote living, low humidity, high sunshine are all pluses for us.

If any here know about these towns for retirement, please advise.

Thanks !

Peace and progress,

Brother Dave
all of of Colorado is low humidity. Climax Molybdenum mine closed down. That was the main employer in Lake Co. At that time Lake was the richest county in the state. There is talk of starting up again but it will not be large as before. Now I believe ski industry and the tourist industry is the largest employer. Leadville sits at 10,000 ft. Beautiful summers but short. Winters can be long and hard. Salida is a pretty little town sitting also on the Arkansas river. Right in the mts also but much lower. Canon City again on the Arkansas River is the largest of the three. Bumped up against the mts. Only 40-45 miles to Colorado Springs and Pueblo. 5500 ft. Protected from hard storms by mts and hills. Does get below 0F a few days in winter and can reach 100F summer. These are the extremes. Into gardening? Canon used to be a agriculture hub bub. No where seems to be in population decline.

Old 04-27-2007, 07:07 PM

Save a place for me, I will be out the end of May, and plan on moving in June, no later then July. I can't wait to see the beautiful mountains again. I am looking forward to the peace and beauty of it all.
Thanks for all your help Nadine, I will let you know the day we are arriving once I can get it more in order. Yorkie

Old 05-01-2007, 09:15 AM

11 posts, read 30,417 times
Default Canon City is our retirement choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadine View Post
all of of Colorado is low humidity. Climax Molybdenum mine closed down. That was the main employer in Lake Co. At that time Lake was the richest county in the state. There is talk of starting up again but it will not be large as before. Now I believe ski industry and the tourist industry is the largest employer. Leadville sits at 10,000 ft. Beautiful summers but short. Winters can be long and hard. Salida is a pretty little town sitting also on the Arkansas river. Right in the mts also but much lower. Canon City again on the Arkansas River is the largest of the three. Bumped up against the mts. Only 40-45 miles to Colorado Springs and Pueblo. 5500 ft. Protected from hard storms by mts and hills. Does get below 0F a few days in winter and can reach 100F summer. These are the extremes. Into gardening? Canon used to be a agriculture hub bub. No where seems to be in population decline.

Thanks, Nadine, for this good info.

I also used your link in another post here to search through some online newspapers in Canon City and the much larger Colorado Springs.

We have now decided to retire to the Canon City area (within about 10-15 mile radius of CC) There, I will be close to Colorado Springs to do some dance band and concert music playing; (on drum-set, all styles) and we can also enjoy remote living, hiking, wildlife watching, photography.

There is a new general forum here on Religion ! Great ! I just posted there ! (Read at your own risk ! Ha ha)

Peace and progress,

Brother Dave

Old 05-01-2007, 10:22 AM

[quote=Brother Dave;651465]Thanks, Nadine, for this good info.

I also used your link in another post here to search through some online newspapers in Canon City and the much larger Colorado Springs.

We have now decided to retire to the Canon City area (within about 10-15 mile radius of CC) There, I will be close to Colorado Springs to do some dance band and concert music playing; (on drum-set, all styles) and we can also enjoy remote living, hiking, wildlife watching, photography.

There is a new general forum here on Religion ! Great ! I just posted there ! (Read at your own risk ! Ha ha)

[b]Peace and progress,

You might look into some of the ranches that are breaking up Red Canyon way. There are several. It is such a shame. From the sounds of it, you would really enjoy that area. It has a little different climate than close around Canon but has lots of open areas including Red Canyon Park. It is owned by the city and there is a great deal of BLM land surrounding too. Red Canyon Park is not city type park just an area with many interesting outcroppings of the very red soil and rock that Colorado is named for. Similar to but not commercialized or as extensive as the Red Rocks in Colorado Springs. Few picnic tables sat in a couple areas. Some caves there but is mostly a pinon tree type terrain Right now it is being torn up with non caring bikers, quads, jeeps etc. They are trying to put a stop to it. I think it is a losing battle until people start turning those people in.

Old 05-02-2007, 11:04 AM

Need some help, I need to know about Telephone, Cable and cell phone service. Here in Minnesota, it cost less going through the phone lines for the internet service, and right now we have Midwest wireless for cell phone use.
How much are the prices for services in your area, and what is the best service to go through that doesn't cost a lot. I will be moving in June or July depending on how fast I find a place to move in to.
I also need help as far as rental property, or homes for sale, we haven't decided what way to go yet, so if anyone can help with that it would make my day.
I will also need car insurance, right now we have AIG and we talked to them today, they said we would have to split the policy since my car would be out there, and the other one would stay in Minnesota, so if anyone can be of any help, please pm me, because I know you will not be able to advertise on this site. Thanks so much, Yorkie

Old 05-07-2007, 08:19 PM

Hello again, Just wondering if there is a reasonable hotel there in Cañon City we could get in touch with for about a week stay, while we check out housing. You can pm me the information, thanks for the help. Yorkie

Old 05-15-2007, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkie_Mom View Post
Hello again, Just wondering if there is a reasonable hotel there in Cañon City we could get in touch with for about a week stay, while we check out housing. You can pm me the information, thanks for the help. Yorkie
Sorry I did not answer you earlier. Hope you still see this. There are a number real clean older motels in Canon that are not chains. They of coarse are less expensive. Some have kitchens and of coarse the chains. Check the along Main Street on east and more west end also on hiway 50 (Royal Gorge Boulevard) Cloud City Hotel on 8th and Main. Try this website. www.canoncafe.com too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado