Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 07:36 PM
Rei

494 posts, read 1,763,407 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipcromer View Post
"A college offers algebra! Yikes.
If you need to take algebra at the collegiate level, you shouldn't be in college.... IMHO!"

Thats a pretty silly statement.
It's not a silly statement. Students in Asia will have finished multivariable calculus by then time the graduate HS.

Quote:
Unless you happened to enjoy taking literature and economics, I don't see any reason why you should have to as an engineer.
That's all fine, really.... I just don't like to hear when someone with a liberal arts/humanity major complains about why they only make 1/2 of what engineers do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2009, 08:07 PM

8,514 posts, read 4,501,317 times
I took a number of useless courses in college, but the most memorable one was "History of German Film". Sounds pretty useless, doesn't it?

Actually it was pretty interesting as it discussed the films in historical context, such as the rise of the Third Reich. I did well in it, and enjoyed it.

All college classes don't have to seemingly useful. There is something to be said for being a well educated, well read individual with critical thinking skills.

Old 01-28-2009, 08:21 PM

90,296 posts, read 121,047,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
Math and science for a liberal arts major. Literature for an engineer. Why in the world does one have to take courses so far outside one's major...other than for a college's profit margin, of course.
None of the above are useless. Liberal arts majors need to know about math and science. Too many people know virtually NOTHING about science, yet feel they are qualified to decide if their kids should be immunized, if global warming is a problme, etc. Literature for an engineer helps bring the engineer into the world of most of his/her customers and non-engineering co-workers. My daughter went to a college where the engineers were required to take writing courses, and supposedly were valued for same in the job market. No one is all one thing, be it an artist or an engineer (and lib. arts is more than just "art" courses.

Old 01-28-2009, 08:43 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,350,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rei View Post
It's not a silly statement. Students in Asia will have finished multivariable calculus by then time the graduate HS.

That's all fine, really.... I just don't like to hear when someone with a liberal arts/humanity major complains about why they only make 1/2 of what engineers do.
Umm...huh? I don't complain a bit. Can't imagine life in a cubicle for any amount of $$.

Old 01-28-2009, 09:32 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,921,252 times
My last semester I had to complete a fine arts distribution requirement. The only class that fit the bill that also fit my work and class schedule was a film class called "Teen Rebels". I got to watch "The Wild Ones", "Rebel Without a Cause", "Last Tango in Paris" and "Full Metal Jacket", and probably some others I cannot remember. Not a total waste of time as a friend took it as well and we traded off bringing dinner to eat beforehand. Kind of like movie night. But, the professor was looking for specific bias in the analysis papers and while I could figure out his agenda, I could never quite get written down what he wanted to see. I think I got a B or B minus. I'd say it was less of a waste of time and more of a waste of money that the university paid someone to have us watch movies once a week and critique our analysis of popular culture.

Old 01-28-2009, 09:35 PM

1,140 posts, read 2,206,258 times
Quote:

Too bad you don't feel so highly about grammar.

Old 01-28-2009, 10:38 PM

3,689 posts, read 10,433,092 times
The self affirmation class was well.... not that uplifting lol.

I found every class that was seemingly not of my degree to be very important. I am an Architectural designer. The literature classes, history classes, and ethnic study classes help to give a good view into the way other people think. Which in turn helps me design better. I don't just use math, I use style and ideas not originally formed within Architecture to form a concept that really really meets my clients demand.

Old 01-29-2009, 06:19 AM

1,817 posts, read 4,936,874 times
Quote:

Good for students in Asia.

My freshman year in college I had to take a remedial math class in college. That really didnt prevent me from later graduating with honors. I dont think I am the only one to have done this.

Again, your statement was silly. Many students have not had the opportunity to take the same higher level math classes as other students prior to college.

Old 01-29-2009, 06:45 AM

1,095 posts, read 4,005,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipcromer View Post
Thats a pretty silly statement.
Isn't algebra an 8th grade course? I don't see how you could score high enough on the math portion of the SAT without knowing basic algebra.

Old 01-29-2009, 07:03 AM

1,817 posts, read 4,936,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naptowner View Post
Isn't algebra an 8th grade course? I don't see how you could score high enough on the math portion of the SAT without knowing basic algebra.
I took the ACT.

I scored fairly low on both the Math and Science (between 17-19 on both). On reading and english I scored quite a bit higher (between 29-31 on both).

My high school math classes broke down in this order:

Algebra 1
Algebra 2
Geometry 1
Geometry 2
Algebra 3
Algebra 4
etc
etc

So at my high school, unless you tested out of it in your freshman year you were taking algebra up until junior year in high school minimum.

Most universities will let you use College Algebra as your math requirement. I went to a JUCO for a year before going to uni. I had to do a semester of Intermediate Algebra before taking College Algebra the following semester.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities