Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 11:02 AM

1,817 posts, read 4,936,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
A college offers algebra! Yikes.
If you need to take algebra at the collegiate level, you shouldn't be in college.... IMHO!
Thats a pretty silly statement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2009, 11:17 AM

2,489 posts, read 7,221,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipcromer View Post
Thats a pretty silly statement.
I agree. I have a BA in history and as you could guess math is not my strong suit. I too had to take algebra at a college level because my grades in high school weren't up to par. I have struggled with math all my life and still do.

I went to college to get an education not a job. No class is pointless in the pursuit of knowledge.

Old 01-28-2009, 11:21 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,283,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke9686 View Post
It's good to have a well rounded education, but the fact is most people don't go to school for the education alone. They go because of the job prospects after college. That is where the complaint of worthless classes comes into play. It's just a scam articulated by the collegiate system to force us to pay for "Western Art 101". Instead of requiring some of these arbitrary classes, maybe they should have people learn about personal finance, how to invest wisely, scams to look out for when talking to a financial advisor, etc.
The Well Rounded Education model is a stay-over from pre-1960's higher education. Being knowledgeable about the world around you was once considered paramount to being a better citizen (and the majority of colleges still believe this, they are not just requiring you to take Dumb Class X to simply squeeze some money out of you). You did not have to be college educated or an intellectual or even agree with any of it. All that mattered was that you knew enough to be able to discuss it, debate it, or even argue over it. Now, not many people care anymore. America has a reputation among first and second world countries as being, well, ignorant. And instead of proving them wrong most Americans come back with a Who gives a f**k what they think, this is America type of response. Yeah, who cares as long you have your Camels, Bud Lite, Brittany Spears, and Nascar. Go Team!

Last edited by K-Luv; 01-28-2009 at 12:28 PM.. Reason: yosemite sam

Old 01-28-2009, 11:39 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,239,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
Math and science for a liberal arts major. Literature for an engineer. Why in the world does one have to take courses so far outside one's major...other than for a college's profit margin, of course.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
Why on earth do students with no desire to major in a math related field (medicine, architecture, engineering, sciences) need to take Algebra, Calculus or Geometry?
Because not being somewhat familiar with these subjects fosters dependence imo. Most sucessful folk, in whatever field, have 401ks, cars, homes, and the privaledge of voting and having an opinion. I believe that people in general should be familiar with the maths and sciences since we live in a technologically based society. Most folk in the US, I would bet, are completely reliant upon technology in the day-to-day. Being uninformed about your very way of life puts you (general you) in a vulnerable position.

Here's a site "Movies with Algebra Activities"...

http://www.thefutureschannel.com/alg...rld_movies.php

Last edited by Braunwyn; 01-28-2009 at 11:48 AM..

Old 01-28-2009, 01:43 PM

1,495 posts, read 5,054,670 times
Default Well Rounded...

As for math...most colleges (if not all) have some sort of math for the non-science major math course that usually involves techniques of reasoning instead of equations of reasoning.
YOu were forced to take a Native American studies course? A Black Studies course? Yeah, I am sure that these "professors" really have an agenda other than educating a few students.
Math is a language and use to be considered a part of philosophy during earlier centuries.
I use algebra every time a plot a course or get a fix on my position while I am out on a boat in the bay.[/quote]

Although these points are valid it`s still my opinion that taking certain courses should not be mandatory. My husband is from the UK; their higher education system seems to work well enough without the mandatory Math and other unrelated requirements. Some people can`t do Math; others have issues with Philosophy or Social Studies. Is it really fair that a person who is not competent in one area of study should be prevented from achieving.

Again, if your not good at everything you`re screwed..

Old 01-28-2009, 02:14 PM

4,683 posts, read 5,013,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven1976 View Post
Some people can`t do Math; others have issues with Philosophy or Social Studies. Is it really fair that a person who is not competent in one area of study should be prevented from achieving.

Again, if your not good at everything you`re screwed..
Believe it or not, this is very debatable. I, for one, think you have a weird way of looking at it. Sure, some people are more intelligent than others, but I don't know anyone whom I consider intelligent who couldn't learn math if taught properly, nor do I know anyone whom I consider intelligent who couldn't write a competent history paper if taught properly.

Old 01-28-2009, 02:30 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,349,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sike0000 View Post
I had a lot of classes unrelated to my engineering degree. 5 semesters of literature, two economics classes and even some of my core classes. There are more but I am trying to forget

Even though I did enjoy most of the classes, and it makes me very well rounded, it hurts the wallet and added a few years to my night classes.

And there is nothing wrong with taking algebra in College
Unless you happened to enjoy taking literature and economics, I don't see any reason why you should have to as an engineer. If you feel like one of those classes would benefit you, you should absolutely do it. I'm sure it would add to your marketablity, but it shouldn't be a requirement.

Old 01-28-2009, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven1976 View Post

What role is algebra playing in YOUR everyday life......
Not a thing. I planned my career so that it wouldn't. The only thing it did was keep me from taking more literature and philosophy courses.

Old 01-28-2009, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
On the first day of one of my classes they teacher asked if we could follow instructions. Everybody said yes, so the teacher handed out a list of 15 instructions that we had to follow. Only one student got it right the first time. The rest of the class failed. And then failed again. And then again. We all followed the directions, or so we thought. The teacher eventually pointed out that one sentence was phrased in such a way that what you read was not what it was meant. Literature, if properly taught, would teach you how to analyze and interpret what you read. Which would be of importance to an engineering career.

As for math...most colleges (if not all) have some sort of math for the non-science major math course that usually involves techniques of reasoning instead of equations of reasoning.

YOu were forced to take a Native American studies course? A Black Studies course? Yeah, I am sure that these "professors" really have an agenda other than educating a few students.

Math is a language and use to be considered a part of philosophy during earlier centuries.

I use algebra every time a plot a course or get a fix on my position while I am out on a boat in the bay.
I think what you ascribe to literature and algebra, I ascribe to 'common sense'.

Old 01-28-2009, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Because not being somewhat familiar with these subjects fosters dependence imo. Most sucessful folk, in whatever field, have 401ks, cars, homes, and the privaledge of voting and having an opinion. I believe that people in general should be familiar with the maths and sciences since we live in a technologically based society. Most folk in the US, I would bet, are completely reliant upon technology in the day-to-day. Being uninformed about your very way of life puts you (general you) in a vulnerable position.

Here's a site "Movies with Algebra Activities"...

Algebra in the Real World Movies with Activities

I think you might confusing mathmatics with algebra. Everyone should have a basic understanding of mathmatics that includes computation. Knowledge of higher math does not a requirement for understanding or using technology. Now, tell me again how a person not involved in engineering or math would ever use calculus in their daily lives???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities