Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 08:12 AM

572 posts, read 1,305,290 times

Advertisements

What is wrong with having a well-rounded education? The whole idea that outside knowledge is worthless is disturbing to me. If you would rather eat glass than take these courses, then don't go to college.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2009, 08:18 AM

1,465 posts, read 4,584,197 times
I had to take a First Year Experience class. I think a lot of colleges are doing that now. Gawd what a waste of time and money. Sure, it was only a 1-credit $150 class, but my time and efforts would have been directed better somewhere else.

I also took a Modern Middle East class... but other than the actual factual happenings of what happened in the M.E., the man truly had no clue what he was talking about. He mixed in his opinion with what he called "fact." It was disturbing, because I'm sure the rest of the people in that class walked out with that view of the Middle East and the Muslim world. Instead of trying to bridge a gap, he's creating more of a distance, and those 30 other people in my class will probably feel resentful.

Other than that, my classroom experience has been positive. I've taken quite a few interesting classes that have made me more knowledgable!

Old 01-28-2009, 08:24 AM

8,231 posts, read 17,345,877 times
Math and science for a liberal arts major. Literature for an engineer. Why in the world does one have to take courses so far outside one's major...other than for a college's profit margin, of course.

Old 01-28-2009, 08:26 AM

8,231 posts, read 17,345,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bail_Khan View Post
One of my English professors said she just barely squeaked through algebra.
I wasn't introduced to algebra until college and I make mostly A's.
Why on earth do students with no desire to major in a math related field (medicine, architecture, engineering, sciences) need to take Algebra, Calculus or Geometry?

Old 01-28-2009, 08:29 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,980,905 times
I thought some of the 'sensitivity' requiremnets were a bunch of BS. Classes about black studies, native american studies etc. were a complete waste. 'Professors' with an agenda to generate finacial support to expand their departments and make them relevant. Aside from the fact of being almost intolerant of injustices to parties other than their group.

If Lib Ed students and Philosophyt students crave this that is fine, but it shouldnt be a requiremnet for those students who are using college to gain skills for a real job.

Old 01-28-2009, 08:34 AM

61,286 posts, read 87,573,553 times
i dont pay out 68 bucks a unit for useless classes but a lot do, ita amazing wihat people will do to get a status symbol. lots of these folks are no more closer to a good paying job before they signed on for huge student loans. i like VE at jr college-- my favorite is the RN program. little or no debt and good pay. everybody is interested in being somebody nobody interested in making money or being of service.

Old 01-28-2009, 09:05 AM

1,495 posts, read 5,053,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
i dont pay out 68 bucks a unit for useless classes but a lot do, ita amazing wihat people will do to get a status symbol. lots of these folks are no more closer to a good paying job before they signed on for huge student loans. i like VE at jr college-- my favorite is the RN program. little or no debt and good pay. everybody is interested in being somebody nobody interested in making money or being of service.
$68 a unit... Thats cheap.. Try hundreds for one unit for a class you have no interest in

Old 01-28-2009, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
Why on earth do students with no desire to major in a math related field (medicine, architecture, engineering, sciences) need to take Algebra, Calculus or Geometry?
Exactly my thinking.

Old 01-28-2009, 09:26 AM

Default *Well Rounded Education....*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore1 View Post
What is wrong with having a well-rounded education? The whole idea that outside knowledge is worthless is disturbing to me. If you would rather eat glass than take these courses, then don't go to college.
What`s wrong is that this *outside knowledge* is often mandatory.
A person should not have to struggle their way through a subject like algebra.
Algebra is a rather specialized form of mathematics. I found the experience similar to learning another language. I did pass algebra and have not had to use it since school. My chosen career was not engineering or science based.
*Well rounded* = If your not good at everything then your screwed.

What role is algebra playing in YOUR everyday life......

Old 01-28-2009, 09:26 AM

536 posts, read 1,873,785 times
I had a lot of classes unrelated to my engineering degree. 5 semesters of literature, two economics classes and even some of my core classes. There are more but I am trying to forget

Even though I did enjoy most of the classes, and it makes me very well rounded, it hurts the wallet and added a few years to my night classes.

And there is nothing wrong with taking algebra in College
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities