Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 02:37 PM

239 posts, read 896,970 times

Advertisements

If you are in college does your professor or teaching assistant take attendence? If so, what is the maximum number of absences in relation to the total number of classes? Do you feel taking attendence is really necessary? Or should a student be able to just read the class materials and show up only when he/she wishes or when there is a test.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2010, 03:18 PM

13,137 posts, read 22,885,502 times
Usually no, and your professors won't baby you either. In college you do the work and improve yourself or you fail. It's as simple as that.

But why in the world would you pay tens of thousands of dollars to be be taught stuff and then not show up for class? Why not save the money for better parties? College is OPTIONAL...unlike high school.

Old 08-20-2010, 03:28 PM

13,137 posts, read 22,885,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goyanks57 View Post
This is just another troll. Don't feed it.
Naw, it's a fair enough question. I thought the same thing when I was in High School: "Dude, how cool will that be... I'll just show up for my 'effin tests and party the rest of the time!" I said to my friends...

Well I'm 32 now and I still have occasional dreams where It's finals time and I haven't been showing up for class. Then I wake up, hug my degree and then use it to wipe my a$$ because I still can't afford to buy TP despite the thousands of dollars and thousands of hours I invested into that piece of paper. But at least I have my OWN basement now instead of mommy's.

Silly kids and their funny ideas about adulthood...

Old 08-20-2010, 06:13 PM

6,024 posts, read 15,385,355 times
^^still a fair question, even if it is from a questionable source^^

w/ my majors, more than 3 absences= automatic F (by the third absence, your grade has dropped by a letter). some teachers may be more flexible w/ excused absences (i.e, major illness like the H1N1 scare last year, death in the family, etc), but this is a dept. wide policy, and from what I've seen, a school wide one

being a writing and TV major, attendance is a near must w/ a lot of my classes. there is a lot of peer editing, a lot of group critiques and group projects. we don't even have tests, so just showing up for those isn't even an option (and good luck just showing up from a presentation). YMMV depending on the school and major of course, but I don't see the point in paying $$$ to not show up.

Old 08-20-2010, 08:46 PM

1,711 posts, read 3,612,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post

w/ my majors, more than 3 absences= automatic F (by the third absence, your grade has dropped by a letter). some teachers may be more flexible w/ excused absences (i.e, major illness like the H1N1 scare last year, death in the family, etc), but this is a dept. wide policy, and from what I've seen, a school wide one
Yes, this is what I experienced. In my major classes (music theory, music history, early childhood music, etc...) attendance was taken. In other classes? Not so much.

Old 08-21-2010, 12:35 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,219,007 times
There's an attendance policy at my college, but most teachers outside of the gen ed and lower level courses don't bother to enforce it because it's assumed that frequent absentees are going to fail regardless.

Old 08-21-2010, 08:32 AM

4,796 posts, read 22,955,265 times
I don't recall any attendance taken or attendance policy. But most of my courses were studio courses and the creative development progress was THE grade, not the end result. There were always a few people who thought they could show up at the end and turn in something but they always failed. The profs didn't really need to call roll or anything like that since it was always obvious who wasn't there in the pinups and crits.

Old 08-21-2010, 08:36 AM
Status: "Get the establishment out of Capitol Hill." (set 16 hours ago)

52,774 posts, read 48,167,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Outcast View Post
If you are in college does your professor or teaching assistant take attendance? If so, what is the maximum number of absences in relation to the total number of classes? Do you feel taking attendance is really necessary? Or should a student be able to just read the class materials and show up only when he/she wishes or when there is a test.

Back in the day, they did. The answer to your question is pretty obvious: If you intend to pass, you ought to be there.

Old 08-21-2010, 08:46 AM

5,027 posts, read 10,753,924 times
At my current college, there are strict attendance policies. As my first college, there were little/no attendance policies. IMHE, the better colleges and universities don't have strict attendance policies b/c they don't need them and b/c they are actual colleges rather than extended high schools.

We are allowed two absences and we must have documentation. I miss class at least 2-4 times each semester, mostly b/c I live about an hour away. They take off from your grade but my grades have always been high, so it has very little effect on me, except to annoy the bejesus out of me to be treated like a child at 35.

Old 08-21-2010, 08:52 AM

917 posts, read 2,955,647 times
My college didn't really have "attendance policies" but since it was a small school with a philosophy of discussion based classes, it would really hurt your grades to not show up. The only class with a true attendance policy was my foreign language class (since spoken French was a huge component of the grade) and that caused problems when I got very sick partway through the semester and missed a lot of class.

I'm starting grad school in a few weeks and discussion/class participation are about 50% of the grade for several of my classes. Of course, it's theater, which is collaborative and not something you can learn by just reading a book, but still . . . why would you pay a lot of money to go to college and then not show up?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities