Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 09:54 AM

22,643 posts, read 47,821,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bail_Khan View Post
One of my English professors said she just barely squeaked through algebra.
I wasn't introduced to algebra until college and I make mostly A's.
Algebra is taught in ninth grade here.

What the heck did you learn high school?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2009, 09:56 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,852,941 times
I got some benefit out of every class I ever took in college.
If I had it to do over again, I would take the same classes.
The only thing I would do differently would be to sleep with my head on my desk instead of leaning back slumped down in my chair, which gave me long term chronic back problems.

Old 01-28-2009, 10:03 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,271,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
Math and science for a liberal arts major. Literature for an engineer. Why in the world does one have to take courses so far outside one's major...other than for a college's profit margin, of course.
On the first day of one of my classes they teacher asked if we could follow instructions. Everybody said yes, so the teacher handed out a list of 15 instructions that we had to follow. Only one student got it right the first time. The rest of the class failed. And then failed again. And then again. We all followed the directions, or so we thought. The teacher eventually pointed out that one sentence was phrased in such a way that what you read was not what it was meant. Literature, if properly taught, would teach you how to analyze and interpret what you read. Which would be of importance to an engineering career.

As for math...most colleges (if not all) have some sort of math for the non-science major math course that usually involves techniques of reasoning instead of equations of reasoning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
I thought some of the 'sensitivity' requirements were a bunch of BS. Classes about black studies, native american studies etc. were a complete waste. 'Professors' with an agenda to generate finacial support to expand their departments and make them relevant. Aside from the fact of being almost intolerant of injustices to parties other than their group.

If Lib Ed students and Philosophyt students crave this that is fine, but it shouldnt be a requiremnet for those students who are using college to gain skills for a real job.
YOu were forced to take a Native American studies course? A Black Studies course? Yeah, I am sure that these "professors" really have an agenda other than educating a few students.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven1976 View Post
What`s wrong is that this *outside knowledge* is often mandatory.
A person should not have to struggle their way through a subject like algebra.
Algebra is a rather specialized form of mathematics. I found the experience similar to learning another language. I did pass algebra and have not had to use it since school. My chosen career was not engineering or science based.
*Well rounded* = If your not good at everything then your screwed.

What role is algebra playing in YOUR everyday life......
Math is a language and use to be considered a part of philosophy during earlier centuries.

I use algebra every time a plot a course or get a fix on my position while I am out on a boat in the bay.

Old 01-28-2009, 10:05 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,271,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore1 View Post
What is wrong with having a well-rounded education? The whole idea that outside knowledge is worthless is disturbing to me. If you would rather eat glass than take these courses, then don't go to college.
I agree.

Old 01-28-2009, 10:11 AM

2,652 posts, read 8,591,304 times
Math doesn't only teach you about mathematical formulas. It teaches you how to think logically and solve problems in a systematic, well thought out way.

It's good to have a well rounded education, but the fact is most people don't go to school for the education alone. They go because of the job prospects after college. That is where the complaint of worthless classes comes into play. It's just a scam articulated by the collegiate system to force us to pay for "Western Art 101". Instead of requiring some of these arbitrary classes, maybe they should have people learn about personal finance, how to invest wisely, scams to look out for when talking to a financial advisor, etc.

Old 01-28-2009, 10:31 AM

4,681 posts, read 5,006,668 times
Journalism as a college major really bothers me. It comes down to learning an ideology, in my opinion. An ideology that has seen some serious holes poked in it lately, and rightfully so. Sometimes it disguises itself as a liberal arts major, but only insofar as that liberal arts curriculum feeds its ideology. Sometimes it disguises itself as a technical degree, but only insofar as the skills taught feed the ideology.

I also think the concept of "sensitivity requirements" is abhorrent, but I will admit that some teachers are so good and some of the material so interesting that one can't help but get something out of certain classes. Journalism classes have more of a dour, anti-intellectual mood.

I hope I don't give off the impression I don't value a liberal arts education. I'm not here saying algebra is a "specialized form of mathematics," for example. I mean, wow.

Old 01-28-2009, 10:33 AM

1,364 posts, read 4,151,793 times
I don't have an issue with taking "useless" classes, so much as I hate boring classes that I don't learn anything in. As a science major, while I initially found Mythology and Lit classes to be useless at the time, I use it now to analyze scientific literature, or to gain a better understanding of novels I may read. However, I had a US History class that I loved in high school, yet loathed in college. The professor would drone on and on about what, I don't know. I think a well rounded education is fine, but I think it's the professor that makes it useful vs useless.

Old 01-28-2009, 10:35 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,806,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
That way you would have what is called an Associate's Degree.
I go to a community college and even with some of the more technical degrees, you still have to take some general education classes.

Old 01-28-2009, 10:45 AM

6,044 posts, read 24,118,257 times
I've given the OP some thought - my first thought was, sure I've taken some pointless classes. But after I thought about it, none of them were pointless. I agree with the posters, that the classes that don't necessarily apply directly to my profession, still made me a more knowledgeable person. And the jobs I have had, even though they have basically all been in my chosen profession, have sometimes been easier because I had knowledge that wasn't obviously related. I'm in social work, but I still need strong math skills to manage a budget. History classes have been helpful when I've worked with senior citizens, who lived through history or at least enjoyed talking about it. Basic computer classes help me manage data. I can't say that I've used any science professionally, but the biology and geology classes I took have helped me better understand and critique today's environmental topics. The art class I took was completely unrelated to what I do professionally, but it made me a little more knowledgeable about things I otherwise would know almost nothing about.
Lately I've been very glad for the classes I took, because I am applying to go to school for my masters degree, and the schools I am applying to state they require students to have a well-rounded background.

Old 01-28-2009, 10:51 AM

41 posts, read 107,432 times
Although we may get by with one body of knowledge, those usless classes teach us many different ways of thinking, people always call music a waste of time , but you will find a lot of independently wealthy people from many different fields plays a musical instrument ,
particularly Dr.'s and Lawyers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities