Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2022, 02:11 PM

387 posts, read 352,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
Rece Davis made a comment on GameDay this morning that the team playing the best ball in the ACC right now is not in the Championship game
He's right. Few teams were playing as well as FSU over the last month of the season. Unfortunate in a way for us, but is what it is.

We get a nice matchup with Oklahoma. Wish it was against a different coach though, he knows us well. But will be a good opportunity for this team. Very excited for this team and this is well deserved. The way coach has built this team, I can see everyone playing and no one opts-out. Which would say A LOT about this team.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2022, 08:26 AM

What a game! Didn't look the best in the first half, but what a strong 2nd half by the offense. Huge day for Travis, for 400 yard game, Johnny Wilson gets over 200 yards receiving....really shows what this team is capable of. OU went all out to stop the run, and did a decent job at it, and we made some nice adjustments in the 2nd half to open things up. Fortunate we capitalized on the fumble, that was huge.

Thrilled that Fitz was able to nail the FG to take the lead (especially after coming up short before half). He ended up coming through when needed. Great for him!

Still not sold on Fuller as DC, I don't know if his style will take us where we want to go. OU is a good offensive team however, so I can't fault Fuller.

Awesome win though! Future is looking bright!

Old 12-31-2022, 09:37 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,871,086 times
Another quality win for the Noles and nice way to end the season. FSU showed up and played extremely well in it's non-conference games against P5 opponents. Beating LSU, Florida, and Oklahoma was impressive. Outside of a early season skid, they were red hot.

Mike Norvell also has a calm but quiet confidence and matureness about him, and he looks like the right leader for this team. I think the Noles will be the premier team of the ACC going forward, especially the way Clemson has been faltering when they play quality non-ACC opponents.

Old 12-31-2022, 12:29 PM

1,982 posts, read 972,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Another quality win for the Noles and nice way to end the season. FSU showed up and played extremely well in it's non-conference games against P5 opponents. Beating LSU, Florida, and Oklahoma was impressive. Outside of a early season skid, they were red hot.

Mike Norvell also has a calm but quiet confidence and matureness about him, and he looks like the right leader for this team. I think the Noles will be the premier team of the ACC going forward, especially the way Clemson has been faltering when they play quality non-ACC opponents.
Oklahoma is a "quality" win? I wouldn't call it that. They were 6-6 this year and Brent Venables received a "D" on his report card rating by multiple outlets on coaching job this year. OU had an awful season compared to what they are used to. Florida State also won by just three points, it's not like they won, 45-10 or something.

Old 01-01-2023, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sluggermatt15 View Post
Oklahoma is a "quality" win? I wouldn't call it that. They were 6-6 this year and Brent Venables received a "D" on his report card rating by multiple outlets on coaching job this year. OU had an awful season compared to what they are used to. Florida State also won by just three points, it's not like they won, 45-10 or something.
Yup, but I feel like Oklahoma was much more talented than their record indicates. Outside of bad losses to Texas and TCU (who is going the the National Championship game), almost all their other losses were by a few points. That's likely why they got selected for the bowl game they did vs a #13 FSU. I still think Oklahoma was a solid team and it was a "quality" win for FSU.

Old 01-02-2023, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sluggermatt15 View Post
I would call it quality in context for sure. While OU was not as good this year as they have been in the past, they still has a very capable offense (even when having multiple people out), and given Venables has history with us, this was never going to be an easy game. Sure, I could make an argument that given some of the OU starters out, FSU should have won by more than 3.

However, this is not FSU of 2013. This is still the same team that lost to Jacksonville State last year. So yes, beating a marquee school (even in name only if needed), in a bowl game can be deemed a quality win at this point in time.

FSU is in the win close process of a rebuilt. So I am happy with it.

Old 01-03-2023, 08:51 AM

13,615 posts, read 7,932,752 times
It was definitely a quality win. Regardless of OU's record this year, they are still a college football blue blood. It was obvious to me as well that their roster is very talented and they're a much better team than their record indicated.

Prior to this game, we had played Oklahoma three times in my living memory and lost all three. It sure was sweet to finally get a win over the Sooners.

The thing that stood out to me most was our inability to stop the run; and surprise surprise, Fabian Lovett didn't play. It's amazing how much of a difference one man can make in the run defense.

Old 01-03-2023, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
The thing that stood out to me most was our inability to stop the run; and surprise surprise, Fabian Lovett didn't play. It's amazing how much of a difference one man can make in the run defense.
That was surprising given how well we had done, even more so given OU was down a bunch of lineman. But that can also speak to how good the OU offense actually was. Not having Lovett definitely hurt, and you can look at the 3 games we lost for more proof of that.

But a nice gift with him announcing he was coming back! Picking up Fiske and they Cypress will pay dividends in the defense. Losing Jammie is tough for sure, but there are some good pieces there. Can Fuller get the most out of them? Or is this a situation where we would not unlock the defense full potential unless we get a new DC (think of Stoops to Pruitt).

We know we are getting a new DB coach with Woodson going Arkansas, so interesting to see who CMN has in mind.

It is interesting to look back at the parallels you mentioned to the 2010 team and the foundation they set. The difference is the foundation was set by young guys building it up. This foundation was set largely by portal guys coming in. Maybe that can work in this day and age. Guess we will see.

Old 01-05-2023, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctousley819 View Post
I would call it quality in context for sure. While OU was not as good this year as they have been in the past, they still has a very capable offense (even when having multiple people out), and given Venables has history with us, this was never going to be an easy game. Sure, I could make an argument that given some of the OU starters out, FSU should have won by more than 3.

However, this is not FSU of 2013. This is still the same team that lost to Jacksonville State last year. So yes, beating a marquee school (even in name only if needed), in a bowl game can be deemed a quality win at this point in time.

FSU is in the win close process of a rebuilt. So I am happy with it.
Yup, and when you look at FSU's overall body of work, beating LSU and an always tough in-state rival in Florida, adding a win over OU into the mix shows they have been consistent in pulling out close games against blue-blood opponents. The LSU win is especially impressive. Overall, they'll probably finish close to #10, and with 3 quality blue blood wins, they definitely had an impressive season.

Old 02-09-2023, 06:03 AM

Nice on FSU locking up Norvell with an extension! Hefty bump in pay, and I think that is a nice gesture after what Norvell did during the pandemic and his pay cut. But more, it is a reward for the culture he is instilling in the program. Gotta keep his pay competitive with others, if nothing else to show him that FSU values him in a monetary sense. Norvell doesn't strike me as one who is going to jump and angle for other jobs...cough Jimbo cough...but we need to make sure we appreciate him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football