Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 10:30 AM

19,922 posts, read 11,040,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
True enough Charley, and the 06 Cards were just slightly better at 83 - 78. Just goes to show that anything can happen once you get into the playoffs.
Yes, and those mediocre Cards embarrassed my 97-65 Mets in the playoffs, so you never know!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2009, 10:38 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,485,004 times
Quote:
True enough Charley, and the 06 Cards were just slightly better at 83 - 78. Just goes to show that anything can happen once you get into the playoffs.
How come you call him by his handle, but you refer to me as Whitey???

Old 09-25-2009, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley View Post
Yes, and those mediocre Cards embarrassed my 97-65 Mets in the playoffs, so you never know!
Was that the series Endy Chavez made like, the greatest catch of all time in?

Old 09-25-2009, 10:45 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
Reason #2 - Fate. Call him what you want, Benevolent Shepherd, Cosmic Muffin or Holy Thunderer but, God loves the Twins more than the Tigers. How else can one explain the ability of the Twins with their 65M payroll able to keep pace with the Tigers who wastefully spill their seed at twice the rate and have had little success in their high-priced, mid-season roster additions. Meanwhile the Twins are left with budget shopping excursions to the bargain-basement Twins Store and are able to seemlessly replace 3/5 of the starting rotation and their reigning MVP 1st Baseman.

It's also obvious that God likes baseball and probably isn't happy that Detroit has destroyed Tiger Stadium. Meanwhile he still has the Metrodome and fully intends to extend the Twins' time there past the regular season to have a bit of fun and merriment for all the world to enjoy. Amen.

Old 09-25-2009, 10:47 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
How come you call him by his handle, but you refer to me as Whitey???
I'm sorry Orangeish, I thought you were a White Sox fan and that was meant to be a sign of respect. I will refrain from doing that again.

Old 09-25-2009, 10:55 AM

Quote:
I'm sorry Orangeish, I thought you were a White Sox fan and that was meant to be a sign of respect. I will refrain from doing that again.
It's very difficult to gauge if you are serious or not since your posting style relies heavily, if not exclusively on sarcasm, but I was joking as well. I am a WhiteSox fan, and you can mock me all you want.

Old 09-25-2009, 01:24 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,277,221 times
Quote:
How else can one explain the ability of the Twins with their 65M payroll able to keep pace with the Tigers who wastefully spill their seed at twice the rate and have had little success in their high-priced, mid-season roster additions. Meanwhile the Twins are left with budget shopping excursions to the bargain-basement Twins Store and are able to seemlessly replace 3/5 of the starting rotation and their reigning MVP 1st Baseman.
It is simple really; the Twins have had a lot of success against a generally weak division. If the Twins were any good; they would not annually get their butts handed to them in the post season.

Baseball is a dome makes God angrier than anything, BTW.

Old 09-26-2009, 10:01 PM

730 posts, read 2,053,407 times
Remember 2006 guys, the Tigers had a lead in the AL Central until the last day when Minnesota overtook them. You must thank the Kansas City Royals for it because the Royals beat Detroit in order to allow the Twins to win the division in 2006. However, the Tigers would end up winning the pennant.

Old 09-27-2009, 08:44 AM

3,816 posts, read 6,441,822 times
Quote:
It's also obvious that God likes baseball and probably isn't happy that Detroit has destroyed Tiger Stadium.
Finally, something I agree with you about. I will NEVER forgive Mike Ilitch and the city of Detroit for tossing my beloved stadium into the trash heap in favor of another run of the mill park that looks just like everyone else's. Comerica has all the bells and whistles, but not a shred of character, and each time I go to a game there I like it less and less. To hell with this "amusement park" theme these stadiums are putting forward. Seems no one outside of Boston and Chicago gives a damn about tradition anymore. Tiger Stadium could have easily been renovated and outfitted with bigger clubhouses and whatever else the prima donna pansy players are demanding these days. It was a historic shrine in the same mold as old Yankee Stadium, Wrigley, and Fenway, but just like everything else in Detroit, they screwed the pooch with the decision to scrap it. Then, to add insult to injury, the city lets it sit there and ROT for 10 years.........well, at least they were consistent with that, seeing as how most of the other structures are doing the same thing.

So, in closing, if the Tigers do blow it to Minny, I will feel much better about it if I use the "God is mad because they tore down Tiger Stadium" theory. Thanks!

Old 09-27-2009, 11:15 AM

364 posts, read 877,522 times
Whichever team wins the central, they will get picked on by the rest of baseball for coming from a weak division. It means nothing.....playoffs are a different game. The Tigers were predicted to be trampled by the Yankees in the 2006 ALDS, yet they plowed right through them and onto their first pennant since 1984. Then, they lost to the 83-win Cardinals in the World Series.

That said....I gotta go with the Tigers. The starter of this thread is a Twins fan, I am a Tigers fan. So yes, bias is playing into our opinions. However...Ill say this. The Tigers have a 2 game lead with 8 to play, 7 of them at HOME. They have been dominant at home this year, and they will have the home crowd in a playoff atmosphere. On the other hand, the Twins have been very hot the past month. Both teams have things going for them, but I still think the Tigers are WAY in the frontrunning.

Im going to tomorrows game...gonna be a nice pregame ceremony for the 25th anniversary of the 1984 World Series, with 2 dozen players from the '84 team. The weather is going to be cold and windy with a chance of rain, so i can see that factoring into plays during the game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball